Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting together the build in my sig and when I pressed the power button, instead of the wonderful whirring sound of fans that I'd been anticipating, I was greeted with silence.

I checked and re-checked my connections and it still wouldn't start. It appears to be getting power because when the psu is on and plugged in, the motherboard continuously beeps and the leds on the start and reset button on the mobo flash continuously. When I press the start button on the mobo, it won't start either.

I have to say I'm rather flummoxed. Any ideas what the problem could be?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
I'm not speaking from experience here, but rather I am guessing: if the motherboard is continuously beeping and the LEDs on the power buttons are continuously flashing, then something is very wrong. Either it's serious, or it could be that a wrong cable is being used somewhere. I mean, it might be something similar to using a PCI-E cable for the CPU's power.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe it is grounded somewhere else??? This might not be the same situation actually prob totaly diff but when i build my last build my gfx card was grounded somewhere else so when i turned on my comp it turned on and then shutdown.
Hope this was usefull

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Check standoffs, trust me I have seen thousands of failed builds just because people forgot the standoffs.

Also +1 for TwoCables' comment.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By standoffs are you referring to the copper colored pieces that are screwed into the case and which the motherboard sits on top of? I've been busy for thanksgiving and am just now getting a chance to look at it again. If I can't figure it out, I'll just tear it down and rebuild it outside the case and see if the problem has something to do with the case.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecool85
View Post

By standoffs are you referring to the copper colored pieces that are screwed into the case and which the motherboard sits on top of? I've been busy for thanksgiving and am just now getting a chance to look at it again. If I can't figure it out, I'll just tear it down and rebuild it outside the case and see if the problem has something to do with the case.

Yes they screw into the case and the motherboard sits on them and then you screw the motherboard to them. Not too tight just snug!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebel4055
View Post

Yes they screw into the case and the motherboard sits on them and then you screw the motherboard to them. Not too tight just snug!

Ok, that's what I thought. Yes, the standoffs are in place so that's not the issue. I don't think they're screwed in too tight. This is the 5th build I've done and I've never had any problems before.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
i would check all the wires are in the correct place(or not there at all), if that fails just pull everything out of the case too insure all the components are working and too eliminate the factor of it grounding out somewhere in the case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts