Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was late...and i was drunk (not really). I ordered a new z170-a and an i5-6600k to replace my 2500k. A few days later got the parts put them in, played around a bit, very happy. Next night i decide to start overclocking...cpu wont go above 3.9.

Turns out a bought the non K version...

So Newegg will not accept a return on it, and I really want to get it up into the 4.5 range. It seems possible with a bclk overclock, but I cannot for the life of me get it stable.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I had plenty of practice with the 2500k but this new way of overclocking has me a bit confused.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
There is a board that allows overclocking of non-K processors but you would have to purchase it and sell your current board. Otherwise, there is no otherway you would be able to overclock the processor.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
Which motherboard is it? I'm overclocking a non-K (4.5GHz so far so good).

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
I would try BIOS 1402

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
damric is right. Looks like Asus blocked bclk overclocking in bios 1602. Try 1402.

Not sure why people still order from Newegg. Amazon is so much more forgiving when it comes returns/RMAs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

Which motherboard is it? I'm overclocking a non-K (4.5GHz so far so good).
Quote:

I would try BIOS 1402
hey im trying to get 1402 stable but cannot get the overclock to work (constant overclock failed message) upping blck to 135 downclocking ddr4 voltage 3.25-3.6 (tried everything in between) turbo boot on, load line 7, speed step off. Not sure what else to do...even tried it at 130 to get 4.2 and still get overclock failed message.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boot318 View Post

damric is right. Looks like Asus blocked bclk overclocking in bios 1602. Try 1402.

Not sure why people still order from Newegg. Amazon is so much more forgiving when it comes returns/RMAs.
paypal

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom66 View Post

hey im trying to get 1402 stable but cannot get the overclock to work (constant overclock failed message) upping blck to 135 downclocking ddr4 voltage 3.25-3.6 (tried everything in between) turbo boot on, load line 7, speed step off. Not sure what else to do...even tried it at 130 to get 4.2 and still get overclock failed message.
You got to really know your stuff when it comes to base clocking, especially RAM timings. I'm having to refresh on this stuff myself for the last week since it's been so long since I did a base OC.

I know it's your RAM freq/timings getting out of hand. Here's a quick idea of what you need to do. I wrote this a few years ago and it was for AMD but the same principle still applies.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2174994/train-ram-overclocking-base-clock-locked-amd-cpus.html

• Rep+
Reactions: cryfreedom66

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

You got to really know your stuff when it comes to base clocking, especially RAM timings. I'm having to refresh on this stuff myself for the last week since it's been so long since I did a base OC.

I know it's your RAM freq/timings getting out of hand. Here's a quick idea of what you need to do. I wrote this a few years ago and it was for AMD but the same principle still applies.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2174994/train-ram-overclocking-base-clock-locked-amd-cpus.html
Im about to pull my hair out with this, I can get it stable for like an hour and then I get either Clock_Watchdog_Timeout bsod or Machine_Check_Exception bsod.

I shouldnt have to put my voltage higher than 3.8 for a 4.5 overclock should I? Everything I read points to undervoltage for those errors but 1.38 should be plenty...

The only other thing it could be is the RAM timings and I think I have that right as well. Any other input? Maybe you could share your exact settings with me just so I can try a working setup?

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
Quote:

Im about to pull my hair out with this, I can get it stable for like an hour and then I get either Clock_Watchdog_Timeout bsod or Machine_Check_Exception bsod.

I shouldnt have to put my voltage higher than 3.8 for a 4.5 overclock should I? Everything I read points to undervoltage for those errors but 1.38 should be plenty...

The only other thing it could be is the RAM timings and I think I have that right as well. Any other input? Maybe you could share your exact settings with me just so I can try a working setup?
W/D timer is a sign of low Vcore or PLL. 1.38 isn't too high. Intel rates these to operate at 1.52v and a 20% ripple margin on top of that.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

·
Banned
22 Posts
Quote:

So it was late...and i was drunk (not really). I ordered a new z170-a and an i5-6600k to replace my 2500k. A few days later got the parts put them in, played around a bit, very happy. Next night i decide to start overclocking...cpu wont go above 3.9.

Turns out a bought the non K version...

So Newegg will not accept a return on it, and I really want to get it up into the 4.5 range. It seems possible with a bclk overclock, but I cannot for the life of me get it stable.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I had plenty of practice with the 2500k but this new way of overclocking has me a bit confused.
All you had to say was "DOA". They would have issued an RMA and even sent you a prepaid shipping label.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts