Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a PSU blow a few months ago taking with it a Western Digital 750gb green drive. After deciding to stop being lazy and actually RMA the thing I came up with an idea. Why not have a RMA battle Western Digital vs. Seagate ? After a little rummaging through my closet I found it ! An old dead 160gb IDE seagate drive still in warranty
biggrin.gif

I have created 6 categories on which I will be judging both companies along the RMA process.

1. Starting the RMA Process

Both companies asked for the same information here. Reason for returning, serial number, address, etc...

However the one thing that did impress me was the fact that at the end of the RMA process, Western Digital let you quickly and easily purchase a UPS label with your RMA number and everything. All that needed to be done was find a box and slap the label on it.

Shippinglabel.png

Winner: Western Digital

2. Advance RMA

Both companies have Advance RMA options, where they will send you a new drive before you send in your defective one. Both needed a valid credit card on file in case they never receive your broken one. However Seagate likes to charge $9.95 + tax per drive for this option while Western Digital is free of charge.
SeagateAdvanceRMA.png

Western Digital Advance RMA form
westerndigitaladvanceRMA.png

Sending and Receiving the Drives

Both packages were shipped the same day by the same method (UPS ground) from Pennsylvania. Seagates Facility is in Texas while Western Digitals is located in California. Naturally Seagate received their drive first (3 days after shipping) and Western Digital received theirs the next day (4 days after shipping).

3. Turn around

While having an extra day over Western Digital it took Seagate an entire week before shipping a new drive. While it took Western Digital just 3 days before they shipped a new drive.

4. Return Shipping Method

Western Digital sent their drive UPS 2nd-day air

Seagate sent theirs UPS ground (4 days)

5. Packaging

Both drives returned with very different packing

Western Digital looked like this.

IMG_20110202_163120.jpg

and

Seagate looked like this.

IMG_20110202_163133.jpg

They probably both offer similar protection, but seagates drive looks like it could take more punishment.

Winner: Seagate

6. Returned Drive

For Western Digital I sent in a 750gb green drive and I got back a 1tb green drive
thumb.gif

IMG_20110202_163217.jpg

For Seagate I sent in a 160gb IDE drive and got ... a 160gb IDE drive.( Not saying I deserved an upgrade I am happy I got anything back at all)

IMG_20110202_163314.jpg

Also another note about the seagate drive. The S/N doesn't return any warranty information on their website. I have no idea what will happen if this drive dies again.

Total

Western Digital: 5/6
Seagate: 1/6

Overall Winner: Western Digital

Hope everyone enjoyed my little RMA review
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
very nice. +rep. ive always bought wd drives. ive had a few seagate drives go way before there time. this rma review is extra incentive to buy wd.

all drives fail eventually. so this should definately help someone looking to buy harddrives.

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains;12242449
very nice. +rep. ive always bought wd drives. ive had a few seagate drives go way before there time. this rma review is extra incentive to buy wd.

all drives fail eventually. so this should definately help someone looking to buy harddrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn;12242490
Interesting info indeed
thumb.gif
Good work mate
smile.gif
Thanks.
biggrin.gif

My dad broke his Asus graphics card and I will be handling that RMA. Ill write a review of that soon.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I worked at a computer shop handling the RMA process and I can confirm that Western Digital > All. Nice review.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Great review of the RMA process i'm not surprised that WD was the winner
thumbsupsmiley.png

·
Registered
713 Posts
great review and i share the same experience. i'm in san diego so it only takes 1 day to get something to Riverside (WD's RMA facility) and they usually ship out the replacement that same day so I normally get it 2 days after I ship out the dead drive.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Use both Seagate and Western Digital at work and find them both very good. WD is perhaps a little faster but both are very good(but then this is from the business end so not that fair to compare to home end). Have received upgrades from both WD and Seagate. I see you also got a new drive; noticed in the past 2-3 months that instead of sending back green-stripes they are infact sending you back drives that appear to be new.

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck5000;12293171
Use both Seagate and Western Digital at work and find them both very good. WD is perhaps a little faster but both are very good(but then this is from the business end so not that fair to compare to home end). Have received upgrades from both WD and Seagate. I see you also got a new drive; noticed in the past 2-3 months that instead of sending back green-stripes they are infact sending you back drives that appear to be new.
Yeah I am happy I got a new drive. Previously (year ago) WD gave me a refurb.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
E-mail seagate and lets see what there response is.

+ 1 for western digital.

Even thought i use exclusively seagate drives and they havent failed me i dont see why i shouldnt try WD

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
When I had to RMA my 1TB Caviar Black after finding a bug in its firmware and bricking it, I got a new drive back.

·
Registered
713 Posts
argh... annoying. i sent 2 WD 500GB RE3 drives back to RMA and they only sent me one. But all the paper work says they were suppose to send me two... on the phone with western digital right now, but the person on the phone has a heavy accent, sounds mexican or something. i hope they make good on this...

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLinux;13113377
argh... annoying. i sent 2 WD 500GB RE3 drives back to RMA and they only sent me one. But all the paper work says they were suppose to send me two... on the phone with western digital right now, but the person on the phone has a heavy accent, sounds mexican or something. i hope they make good on this...
Thats unfortunate. Curious did you get a 500gb drive back or did they upgrade you ?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somenamehere;13157732
Thats unfortunate. Curious did you get a 500gb drive back or did they upgrade you ?
i sent back WD 500GB RE3 drives, and I got a WD 500GB RE4 drive back. The RE4 has better specs (64mb cache vs 16mb), so it's an improvement... just wish they would send me the other drive...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10;12967826
When I had to RMA my 1TB Caviar Black after finding a bug in its firmware and bricking it, I got a new drive back.
Can you share your knowledge of this firmware bug? Could it cause a bricked drive in normal use?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by drevin
View Post

Can you share your knowledge of this firmware bug? Could it cause a bricked drive in normal use?

No, you would never see it in normal use. It would only really happen if you repeatedly erased the disk using SECURITY ERASE UNIT.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLinux
View Post

just to follow up, the issue did eventually get resolved. but working with WD support via email is totally useless. they only seem to respond with canned responses; probably some automated system. if you actually need help, best to just call their number. but even then, their left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing... i normally have good experiences with WD support in the past, but they kind of disappointed me this time around... maybe the economic situation is finally getting to them?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sigh... I hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones who has a problem with one of my Samsung drives now.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts