Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
WD are the worst drives ever. I'm not sure about their return policy or anything but I had 2 fail me in a row on my last build before I got a sea-gate that ran for over 4 years straight and still works. My experience is different.

I'm not looking for the product with the better RMA service, I am looking for the product that I don't have to RMA in the first place.

WD is probably just used to RMAing their garbage drives.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by love9sick
View Post

WD are the worst drives ever. I'm not sure about their return policy or anything but I had 2 fail me in a row on my last build before I got a sea-gate that ran for over 4 years straight and still works. My experience is different.

I'm not looking for the product with the better RMA service, I am looking for the product that I don't have to RMA in the first place.

i think with any hard drive manufacturer, you're always going to run into "that bad batch" of drives. quality control isn't a perfect art... over the years, I've had bad experiences from every manufacturer, you name it... Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Conner, Micropolis, etc... the only brand I don't ever recall using is Samsung. Also, over time, things change... the under dog brand becomes the top dog brand, etc... WD use to only make low-end consumer drives... now they are the top dog; but in a few years I'm sure that will change again. (WD just bought Hitachi by the way..)

I can tell you horror stories about Seagate drives too... but when the time comes around to purchase hard drives, I look at the current situation, not the past; certainly not 4 yrs ago...

·
Registered
56 Posts
good review i have never had to deal with seagates rma but i have dealt with western digitals and was very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by love9sick;13811503

WD is probably just used to RMAing their garbage drives.
I would give them another chance if its been over 4 years. Especially if you get a black drive, they are amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
in the last month ive sent in a samsung and a wd.

samsung was quick, crazy quick and sent me a 640 for the 500 i sent them.

wd, despite the "advanced" rma was a week. but, they sent me a 320 in place of my 160.

either way i was happy getting two new drives in return for broken in warranty drives.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Interesting comparison and a nice review! I've only had RMA experience with WD, but I've never had any issues with it. I've had four of their drives, and had to RMA three of them. Two I blame on Newegg's poor HDD packaging, as they died on the same day I received them. The last, though, was interesting.

It was a 160GB model (equivalent to a "Blue" drive but it didn't have the colored labeling) that I had for about two years before giving to my brother. It had run fine for me, but he had to put it in a external enclosure because the home computer we have is an old P4 system without any SATA ports. It started giving him corrupt sectors, so he RMA'd it because it was still under warranty. They gave him the same model drive back, but it had the same problems. (I'm not sure if it was new or refurbished, as I wasn't there in person.) He talked to them over email, and they wanted him to test the drive in something other than the enclosure, but he didn't have anything else to test it in, so they agreed to take the drive back again. And they returned it with a 250GB RE4, that hasn't had any issues. I was impressed by their willingness to issue a second RMA and return a much nicer drive despite the possibility that his new enclosure could have been at fault, though luckily it wasn't.

As for the other two drives, I returned them to WD even though I could have used Newegg's service because I knew that it would have a great turn around time and I would get the drives back in better packaging, with the possibility of a nicer one (though I got the same ones back both times).

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomfix
View Post

Anyone going to make a review about Samsung?

Their HDD division got bought out by Seagate. Pretty soon the Samsung RMA process will probably be the Seagate RMA process?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Good review but I'd still get the Seagate hands down. RMA discrepancies aren't going to affect my purchase decision as it only happens once or twice every 5 years.

·
Banned
5,698 Posts
Those centralizers that WD used to ship your replacement drive to you are actually much better than foam.

WD is the best company to RMA with ever...

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
Seagate changes your warranty to 30 days after your RMA, making their warranties completely bogus and worthless.

Only buy Seagate if you're ok with having NO WARRANTY.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
I've had 4 drives from them fail on me, almost cried everytime lol. WD for since then and no issues thus far and Hitachi too, since they are one in the same now I believe

sent from my EVO 3D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP
View Post

Seagate changes your warranty to 30 days after your RMA, making their warranties completely bogus and worthless.

Only buy Seagate if you're ok with having NO WARRANTY.

Really? I RMAed my Seagate 3TB and its warranty got carried over..

21 - 40 of 53 Posts