·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk4
View Post

......really?

There is a hobby for everything.

After the reading the thread the other day about razors, I finally pulled the trigger and got a DE. I bought a used Gillette SS. I recently ordered a sampler pack of blades at WCS, some proraso cream, and an Omega 31064. While looking around locally, I found a fruit bowl at Target that looks like it'd make a good bowl for lathering.

I've never shaved with a DE, but I'm a bit excited to try it out once the stuff gets here.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk4
View Post

......really?

yes.

now back to the original subject.

my SD curently has a
Wapiencha str8
Gillette 1920's genuine
Feather DE blades
Derby DE blades
Super-max DE blades
Wilkinson sword DE blades
Wilkinson sword boar brush
Williams shave soap
Poraso white shave soap
Poraso pre-shave lotion
glycerin soap
Kaloderma shave cream
and Nutragerma post shave lotion

pics forthcoming

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,861 Posts
I don't see why people go through so much trouble with shaving. I get a close and comfortable shave with a cheap razor and generic shaving cream. If I'm shaving every day I don't even worry about lotion. If I go a few days, slap some generic lotion on my face and I'm good.

Never cut myself, razor burn only if I don't put lotion on my face after not shaving for a few days then shaving ... etc. And I have REALLY sensitive skin.

Oh well. Each their own. I like my disposable razors. $5 every three months.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

I don't see why people go through so much trouble with shaving. I get a close and comfortable shave with a cheap razor and generic shaving cream. If I'm shaving every day I don't even worry about lotion. If I go a few days, slap some generic lotion on my face and I'm good.

Never cut myself, razor burn only if I don't put lotion on my face after not shaving for a few days then shaving ... etc. And I have REALLY sensitive skin.

Oh well. Each their own. I like my disposable razors. $5 every three months.

I feel like you do.

I just use a Gillette mach 5 or w/e with nivea or Gillette shave cream.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
I feel like you do.

I just use a Gillette mach 5 or w/e with nivea or Gillette shave cream.
I used a Schick Quattro Titanium for a while until I lost it on Spring Break last year. I get as close of a shave with a pack of 9,000 disposable razors for $1 as I did with that, ... plus the refill blades are expensive.

It did look cooler, though

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for most that's fine. but as said before for some its a hobby. we enjoy having "me" time and not having to rush through our morning routine. or its for people who can not get a good shave from the mass market stuff.

and here is what is in my shave den.

and now for some lulz

film_go.png
YouTube- 14 Rabbit Of Seville

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
There is a hobby for everything.

After the reading the thread the other day about razors, I finally pulled the trigger and got a DE. I bought a used Gillette SS. I recently ordered a sampler pack of blades at WCS, some proraso cream, and an Omega 31064. While looking around locally, I found a fruit bowl at Target that looks like it'd make a good bowl for lathering.

I've never shaved with a DE, but I'm a bit excited to try it out once the stuff gets here.

and as for your acquisition of a SS make sure to cleen it good. like scrub the crap out of it then do a couple baths in bleach solution. make sure to let the razor dry in air between each bath. better to be safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFF View Post
and as for your acquisition of a SS make sure to cleen it good. like scrub the crap out of it then do a couple baths in bleach solution. make sure to let the razor dry in air between each bath. better to be safe than sorry.
I did all that the day that I got it. I kept reading about soapy bubbles stuff which I concluded was just bathroom type cleaner. I soaked it some of that stuff and it put stains all of the razor. That really got me upset. However, I continued with the cleaning process and threw it in some bleach as well.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
I did all that the day that I got it. I kept reading about soapy bubbles stuff which I concluded was just bathroom type cleaner. I soaked it some of that stuff and it put stains all of the razor. That really got me upset. However, I continued with the cleaning process and threw it in some bleach as well.
yea mantic dosent recommend using the chemical cleaners due to possible plate damage and also irritation to your skin.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There is a hobby group for shaving?

uhhh...I shave like once every 2 or 3 months with a Gilette Mach 3 that Gilette sent me in the mail on my 18th Birthday. I am now 28, so I've been using it for 10 years. I just buy new razors for it every now and then. I also use Gilette shaving cream.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NFF
View Post

yea mantic dosent recommend using the chemical cleaners due to possible plate damage and also irritation to your skin.

I guess you learn the hard way. Either way, I managed to get it looking good again. Here's a pic of my SS. Hopefully the package from WCS comes today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

I guess you learn the hard way. Either way, I managed to get it looking good again. Here's a pic of my SS. Hopefully the package from WCS comes today or tomorrow.

nice SS man

and as for the cartrage users. i'd suggest getting a cheap brush and soap. i dont know if walmart still sells them but you can get a good starter kit from VDH for like $10 includes brush bowl and glycerin based shave soap.

heres the soap.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Van-Der-Ha....5-oz/10322202

but a proper soap and a brush will yeild a much nicer smother moisturizing and protecting lather than what pressurized goo can. that and using a brush heplps exfoliate and lift the beard to give you a better shave.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I usually rub a dry Ghilette Fusion all over my face and change the blade once every 2 months... and I still don't break out
. I'm a blade-o-phile though and may try a straight razor. I enjoy stropping daily and resharpening my Benchmade Griptillian weekly. How difficult is shaving with a straight razor?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
I usually rub a dry Ghilette Fusion all over my face and change the blade once every 2 months... and I still don't break out
. I'm a blade-o-phile though and may try a straight razor. I enjoy stropping daily and resharpening my Benchmade Griptillian weekly. How difficult is shaving with a straight razor?
its not too dificult as long as you have a good lather and a good steady hand. the real hard part is the curves of your face *chin* and neck. the grip can be a bit tricky also.

but as for the actual dragging the razor across your face. as long as you have a good angle on the blade and dont move down the blade you should be fine... but pre shave prep is the main thing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nothing special here:

- Gillette Fusion razor
- Gillette Fusion HydraGel (Shaving Gel)
- Clarins Men Shave Ease Oil (I put this on before the shaving gel)
- Clinique post-shave healer

·
Registered
183 Posts
Merkur Barberpole Safety Razor
Derby DE blades for everyday, Feather for special occasions
The Art of Shaving Pure Badger Brush
"" Sandalwood Pre-shave Oil
"" Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Thinking about getting some Proraso and a good shaving mug.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts