Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently reformatted my pc. When I got it all back up and running I noticed that it was working like a champ except I could not download from Microsoft sits for updates like IE 7, Windows Live Messenger, Direct X, etc....

I can get updates via the automatic updates site, but that is it. When I do go to a microsoft site is says to validate the genuine advantage. When I do it says it cant and then takes me to a alternative validation link. Then I click that and it get a page that says "server or page not found DNS Error".

It then takes me to a page for a microsoft WGA diagnostic tool. When I get there it passes all of the test except loading active x.

I have subsequently re-formatted XP another couple of times and no luck.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the diagnostic tool results:

Microsoft Genuine Advantage - Diagnostic Site
What is the purpose of this site?
These diagnostic pages will help you ensure that your Internet Explorer (5.01 or later) settings are configured properly to see images, run scripts, and allow ActiveX controls to download and run.

You will be walked through the troubleshooting process step by step. If your configuration settings are not correct, you will be provided with suggestions to resolve the problem. If your problem persists, you will be provided with information about where you can obtain additional assistance.

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results

PassedActive scripting allowedPassedDisplay images enabledPassedComputer time and date correctPassedActiveX enabledFailedMicrosoft ActiveX controls loadingPassedActiveX controls connect with Microsoft validation serversYour computer is not properly configured to run the Microsoft validation process. Click Resolve Now to continue.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I click resolve this is what I get:

Adjust Internet Explorer security settings for ActiveX control behavior
Internet Explorer may not be configured to download ActiveX controls for security reasons, or you might have declined to install the ActiveX control when Internet Explorer prompted you to download, install, or run the control.

Please wait while the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls install. The Microsoft Genuine Advantage program requires the installation of these ActiveX controls.

Do you see Internet Explorer's Info Bar displayed as shown in this picture?

If so, follow the two steps below to install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls from Microsoft.
If not, and installation of the ActiveX control does not occur, try installation again.

To install the Microsoft Genuine Advantage ActiveX controls:
Right-click on the Info Bar and select Install ActiveX Control (shown below).

In the Internet Explorer Security Warning dialog, click the Install button.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Do you have any overzealous firewalls that may be blocking active X, as it can be exploited as a hax0r tool...

i have a Genuine Corperate version of Xp pro... and sometimes it'll say my computer is not genuine, and i run it again and it'll work, or i DL it from a number of other computers in my house.

Contact M$, they might beable to help.

If not... its torrent time!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgins
Do you have any overzealous firewalls that may be blocking active X, as it can be exploited as a hax0r tool...

i have a Genuine Corperate version of Xp pro... and sometimes it'll say my computer is not genuine, and i run it again and it'll work, or i DL it from a number of other computers in my house.

Contact M$, they might beable to help.

If not... its torrent time!

Well, I have disabled my firewall and antivirus and still no luck... its weird...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts