Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyones using. I have an I7-7700k and want to fit whatever the best Air cooler I can in this case. I feel like it might be time to switch from the hyper 212 evo but perhaps its not so just looking for opinions.

Thanks!
Surp

·
Overclocker in training
13,964 Posts
Hi,
I look mostly at how easily one can be installed..
Size too if a 212 evo will fit so will a Noctua D14 although the D15 is a little better it's also a little bigger :)
But these two have the most straight forward installation process

Some I've noticed attach from the back and are pretty awkward to say the least to mount not to mention remount :D

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
S340 has airflow problems. There is the small vent at top and bottom of front to supply air to front intake fans, top vent is too far back to supply air to CPU cooler, only bottom venting is to power supply and back vent mesh is very restrictive (like stopping 70% of air an open area the same size would flow.

What components are you using, as in CPU, RAM, GPU? What are the case fan specs?

I suggest you read the 5th post in 'Ways to Better Cooling' link in my sig. It is a basic explanation of case airflow and how to optimize it and shows low cost way of monitoring case airflow temps going into components.

D14 performs as good or better than D15 with same fans. ;)

Phanteks PH-TC14PE and Cryorig R1 are as easy to install as Noctua coolers.

Problem is we need CPU and GPU coolers to be sized to match case airflow ability. I'm not sure case can supply enough cool air to keep up with demands of a 140mm fanned CPU cooler and a 2x or 3x 92mm fanned GPU cooler, and if case does not supply more air than they use they have to re-use their heated exhaust air to make up the differenece. Every degree warmer the air going into cooler is about a degree hotter the component will be.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I fit a Dark Rock Pro 3 into my S340 before. The cryorig r1s are too tall

Make sure you have powerful 140mm intake fans if you're planning to use a large air cooler

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
S340 has airflow problems. There is the small vent at top and bottom of front to supply air to front intake fans, top vent is too far back to supply air to CPU cooler, only bottom venting is to power supply and back vent mesh is very restrictive (like stopping 70% of air an open area the same size would flow.

What components are you using, as in CPU, RAM, GPU? What are the case fan specs?

I suggest you read the 5th post in 'Ways to Better Cooling' link in my sig. It is a basic explanation of case airflow and how to optimize it and shows low cost way of monitoring case airflow temps going into components.

D14 performs as good or better than D15 with same fans. ;)

Problem is we need CPU and GPU coolers to be sized to match case airflow ability. I'm not sure case can supply enough cool air to keep up with demands of a 140mm fanned CPU cooler and a 2x or 3x 92mm fanned GPU cooler, and if case does not supply more air than they use they have to re-use their heated exhaust air to make up the differenece. Every degree warmer the air going into cooler is about a degree hotter the component will be.

Hmm youre making me regret my S340 elite case decision. I have an I7-7700k, ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F , GTX 1080ti with the aftermarket evga hybrid AIO cooler, ALL noctua fans, Gskill trident Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZ ram. Wonder if I should send this case back and get something that doesn't have "cooling" issues as you say. My current build listed above is sitting in this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352021 a Fractal Define R4 which has served me well since 2013. Maybe I'll send it back and stick the DH15 in the fractal case which I read it will fit in.

Thanks
Surp

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
Hmm youre making me regret my S340 elite case decision. I have an I7-7700k, ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F , GTX 1080ti with the aftermarket evga hybrid AIO cooler, ALL noctua fans, Gskill trident Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZ ram. Wonder if I should send this case back and get something that doesn't have "cooling" issues as you say. My current build listed above is sitting in this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352021 a Fractal Design R4 which has served me well since 2013.

Thanks
Surp
I think I would return it.
Link is to Define 4.

Define R4 is very good case. I don't like the stock case fans, but with a couple of good pressure rated fans it performs very well. Define R5 has full length bottom filter that slides out front of case so don't need to move case to clean front and bottom filters. ;)

To me the optimum case design is one with good front to back airflow which means good front venting. Often a bottom intake will help supply cool air to GPU. Top venting almost always hinders rahter than help. All of above is for air cooling, which in my opinion (and that of many others) is better then any CLC. To get good quiet liquid cooling cost much more than good air cooling with not a huge difference in temps or performance.

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
Overclocked 5.3GHz AMD FX system in an S340, no issues encountered while having a 240mm radiator mounted to the front.
Stock fans were replaced with Noctua NF-F12's.

The airflow through the front of an S340 is indeed restricted for the sake of aesthetic, but its not terrible like the Phanteks Evolv.

·
Registered
230 Posts

D14 performs as good or better than D15 with same fans. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Hmm youre making me regret my S340 elite case decision. I have an I7-7700k, ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F , GTX 1080ti with the aftermarket evga hybrid AIO cooler, ALL noctua fans, Gskill trident Model F4-3600C16D-16GTZ ram. Wonder if I should send this case back and get something that doesn't have "cooling" issues as you say. My current build listed above is sitting in this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352021 a Fractal Design R4 which has served me well since 2013. Maybe I'll send it back and stick the DH15 in the fractal case which I read it will fit in.

Thanks
Surp
If you love the looks, keep it. I also had a 7700k and in my S340 Elite with a Dark Rock Pro 3 I could run 4.8ghz easily with temps under 75c. I also live in with a 25-35c ambient temperature.

A D15 will fit in an S340 with 1 fan only pushed all the way down.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
Overclocked 5.3GHz AMD FX system in an S340, no issues encountered while having a 240mm radiator mounted to the front.
Stock fans were replaced with Noctua NF-F12's.

The airflow through the front of an S340 is indeed restricted for the sake of aesthetic, but its not terrible like the Phanteks Evolv.
I can understand how it has just enough airflow area for a 240mm radiator. But I don't think it has enough for enough cool air if using a CPU cooler with 140mm fan/s and a GPU with 2x or 3x 92mm fans. I'll assume using front for a 240mm radiator means a CLC only cooling CPU or maybe only GPU .. meaning everything but the one component cooled by that radiator has to cool with the pre-heated air coming out of it .. not something I suggest doing.

I have not measured the S340 front vent airflow area but I have measured Evolv ATX front vent airflow area. Evolv has more unrestricted airflow area than many 140x280 fancy grilled vents in the front of many cases.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think I would return it.
Link is to Define 4.

Define R4 is very good case. I don't like the stock case fans, but with a couple of good pressure rated fans it performs very well. Define R5 has full length bottom filter that slides out front of case so don't need to move case to clean front and bottom filters. ;)

To me the optimum case design is one with good front to back airflow which means good front venting. Often a bottom intake will help supply cool air to GPU. Top venting almost always hinders rahter than help. All of above is for air cooling, which in my opinion (and that of many others) is better then any CLC. To get good quiet liquid cooling cost much more than good air cooling with not a huge difference in temps or performance.
Ah yes I had a type I meant to type Define R4. I would like to hear what you have to say about good pressure rated fans and the fact you are saying a top vent almost always hinders. I have two top vents on this case venting outward, a evga 1080ti hybrid watercooling kit in the back vent with the RAD touching the vent and a fan intaking from the case and outtaking into the RAD (my GPU temps have never been better to be honest) https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1 heres a link to what im talking about.

Also in the front I have two Noctua fans pulling ing. I should note all fans in my case are noctua besides whatevers inside my power supply. Wonder if I should be changing how the air flows from the front and the top? Maybe I need to give you more info like which noctua fans im using I assume?

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
Ah yes I had a type I meant to type Define R4. I would like to hear what you have to say about good pressure rated fans and the fact you are saying a top vent almost always hinders. I have two top vents on this case venting outward, a evga 1080ti hybrid watercooling kit in the back vent with the RAD touching the vent and a fan intaking from the case and outtaking into the RAD (my GPU temps have never been better to be honest) https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5598-B1 heres a link to what im talking about.

Also in the front I have two Noctua fans pulling ing. I should note all fans in my case are noctua besides whatevers inside my power supply. Wonder if I should be changing how the air flows from the front and the top? Maybe I need to give you more info like which noctua fans im using I assume?
Which Noctua fans do you have?

I don't use top vent because only the very back one can help and even that is marginal at best because the rear exhaust vent is right next to it. Using on closer to front as exhaust is pulling out the cool air coming in front vents and also drawing the heated exhaust from GPU up and into CPU cooler.

Please read 5th post in 'Ways to Better Cooling' link in my sig to get basic understanding of case airflow and how I got about optimizing it.

This is link to mods I did to my old Define R2 (still using it). There are some other link in that one of Define case setups.
http://www.overclock.net/forum/23754692-post48.html

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Im leaving work in 30 minutes and Ill get back to you on the fans. Also the post "1. Controling PWM Case Fans" in your signature seems VERY interesting and I'm thinking of buying one of those PWM splitters. You will hear from me soon! Thanks!

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
I have not measured the S340 front vent airflow area but I have measured Evolv ATX front vent airflow area. Evolv has more unrestricted airflow area than many 140x280 fancy grilled vents in the front of many cases.
The Evolv's airflow is so good that third party companies didnt have to create custom panels for it to improve the already awesome airflow! [/SARCASM]

https://modmymods.com/custom-services/phanteks-case-mods.html

https://medium.com/@rodrigoatprism/...thoo-evolv-atx-case-for-air-flow-5aec40fe0793

https://mnpctech.com/phanteks-case-mods/evolv-atx-vented-bezel/

Radiator at the front of the S340 didnt make much difference at all. Only CPU was in the loop, GPU was being cooled with air which was had already passed through the radiator however it made no discernible difference after replacing the fans with Noctua NF-F12s. Not even overclocked to 5.3GHz was it getting hot enough to be a problem.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
The Evolv's airflow is so good that third party companies didnt have to create custom panels for it to improve the already awesome airflow! [/SARCASM]

https://medium.com/@rodrigoatprism/...thoo-evolv-atx-case-for-air-flow-5aec40fe0793

Radiator at the front of the S340 didnt make much difference at all. Only CPU was in the loop, GPU was being cooled with air which was had already passed through the radiator however it made no discernible difference after replacing the fans with Noctua NF-F12s. Not even overclocked to 5.3GHz was it getting hot enough to be a problem.
Yes, the Evolv is so good. Just because some people make and buy custom vented covers for Evolv doesn't prove anything about airflow. All it proves is people buy and/or make custom vented covers for them. There are lots of other cases people mod to get better airflow too, but probably none as popular as Evolv.

And there are thousands of them out ther without any custom vented covers cooling just fine.

For every Evolv being used with custom vented panels there are about 50 running just fine without custom panels.

I'll bet you a pint of your favorite you never actually monitored the temp of air going into GPU with CPU on air cooler and on CLC to know how much difference the is.

I'm not saying S340 won't work, just that it's not the best way to go.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,209 Posts

The Evolv's airflow "issue" only arises with top mounted rads, and typically only with high fpi rads or when high speed fans are necessary. Using air cooling with a single GPU and the stock or better fans, the airflow is fine. While better top ventilation should have been part of the design, most of the complaints are from people putting components in the case that clearly won't work well in the given environment.

·
Premium Member
27,127 Posts
The Evolv's airflow "issue" only arises with top mounted rads, and typically only with high fpi rads or when high speed fans are necessary. Using air cooling with a single GPU and the stock or better fans, the airflow is fine. While better top ventilation should have been part of the design, most of the complaints are from people putting components in the case that clearly won't work well in the given environment.
Also the fact the panels are thick aluminum makes them perfect candidates for cutting custom vents into with CNC water-jets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts