Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So i have a gigabyte GA-FXA990-UD7 that i got right when i came out and ive kept for a few years.... never had a chance to use it once.
redface.gif

I was looking to put together something with it to get some use out of the board but ive never used anything amd so i had a few questions:

What would be the recommended "bang for the buck" cpu? (out currently or to be released)

I was thinking of using 3-way sli gtx 470's would there be any issues with this sort of set up (bottlenecking, drivers etc)?

Also i remember reading about physx and amd ... not working or along those lines?

Thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
69 Posts
8320 and OC it! Mine runs like a champ at 4.3ghz. Not sure about your 470's though. I had some 580's sli and it didn't run nearly as good as my single 760. For example, COD ghost didn't like the 500 series in sli.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
8320e is what I believe to be the best bang for your buck.
As far as your 470s go, sell them and buy a single R9 290.

• Rep+
Reactions: DNytAftr

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys reps
biggrin.gif

i think i saw some 8320e on amazon last week for about $110ish, I also saw a 8310 for about ~$90, just wondering how do those compare?

hmmm so sli might not play well on some amd boards (or driver/game related issues). Im guessing physx would add more issues as well.

But probably wont be selling these cards anytime soon since i dont think the amount i could sell them for (after shipping and packing supplies) i could make very much off of them
redface.gif
to buy a higher end newer video card

Although i did sell a pair of 6970 that i got with this board to one of my GF's friends.. unfortunately my GF asked me (nicely) to sell her friend at cost .. before tax
frown.gif
.. sigh

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
It is more of a triSLI 470s being a decidedly archaic setup.
biggrin.gif
:D

I'd be willing to bet you could finance the purchase of a 290 by selling them; I sold 2x EVGA 560ti for $120 each earlier this year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would keep the 470's also, for a "backup" in case you gotta troubleshoot or something. I didn't get much either for my 580's. About $75 each after Amazon got their cut. Are you planning to OC? What cooler are you going to use?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha very archaic indeed
biggrin.gif

I honestly been really eyeing a 690 or a 7990 that ive been seeing for a bit under $400 >_> but deep down i know i should get a new gpu with more vram

Typically i dont overclock unless there is a need too, so far i dont OC my sig rig, but i would probably be using a corsair A70 air cooler or a h80 AiO sitting around .. if i can find my noctua nh-d14 that could be a possibility as well. But i do keep a good stock of back up cards
biggrin.gif
a gtx 670, 3x gtx 470, 2x gtx 460 and 2x gtx 260's with waterblocks.. not sure what i will ever do with the 260's ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts