Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in the middle of doing research for parts to upgrade my desktop. I thought this time around i would go Intel but as i get closer to pushing that confirm order button, I start to feel guilty for not giving AMD at least a glance. I have had AMD powered builds for my last 2 rigs and they never gave up the ghost. These are the Intel parts i have decided on:

CPU: i-5 3570k
MOBO: ASrocks z77 Extreme 4

The computer is pretty much a gaming rig, anything else it does is pretty basic. I was wondering what AMD has out that would compare to the 2 items i listed. i would like to do my first overclock with this build so the chip and board need to be able to do that, nothing to extreme, just going to be on an aftermarket air cooler, no liquid. Im not trying to break any beanchmarks or achieve crazy high FPS either. probably going to b a 1 GPU system. Just want to play crysis 3 or boarderlands 2 on max settings.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjectzer0 View Post

So i am in the middle of doing research for parts to upgrade my desktop. I thought this time around i would go Intel but as i get closer to pushing that confirm order button, I start to feel guilty for not giving AMD at least a glance. I have had AMD powered builds for my last 2 rigs and they never gave up the ghost. These are the Intel parts i have decided on:

The computer is pretty much a gaming rig, anything else it does is pretty basic. I was wondering what AMD has out that would compare to the 2 items i listed. i would like to do my first overclock with this build so the chip and board need to be able to do that, nothing to extreme, just going to be on an aftermarket air cooler, no liquid. Im not trying to break any beanchmarks or achieve crazy high FPS either. probably going to b a 1 GPU system. Just want to play crysis 3 or boarderlands 2 on max settings.

Thanks!!
FX-6300 or 8320
Asus Sabertooth 990FX

EDIT
The new FX chips are about 5 FPS behind Intel on most games.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I find intel overclocking boring. went e4300 @3.0GHz to E6750 @ 3.60GHz to E8400 @ 4.00GHz all during Crysis 1.
I went back to AMD for Crysis Warhead unlocked two extra cores on a 550 BE and overclocked to 3.7GHz , 2600HT.
Didn't have to upgrade for almost three years.

I overclocked a i7-920 to 3.8GHz, i5-750 @4.0GHz and i5-2500K @4.5GHz.
Like racing automatics from stop sign to stop sign. Some people find it fun.

I play BF3 and BL2 on high quality with eye candy no problem. Had to lower some settings for Crysis 3 Beta.
Was contemplating buying a FX-8320 for that game.

Borderlands 2 is Unreal Engine 3 based. Don't need much cpu power. poorly thread. just enable Triple buffer
via RadeonPro if you are using ATI video card.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So besides the obvious 6 core vs. 8 core, whats the differences between the 6300 and the 8320? is one easier to overclock than the other? It will be my first time overclocking.

Any other suggestions on a mobo? i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281
also looking at a gigabyte board last night but i cant seem to find it today....
frown.gif
do they make good boards in this chipset? looing to spend $90-120 on the board

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Coming from someone that owns an AMD if you have enough money to get an intel rig do it. Intel is better then AMD. Well, i5 2500k or the new ivy bridge is better than almost any AMD out now. Now if you don't have the money that's a different story.

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
Quote:

So besides the obvious 6 core vs. 8 core, whats the differences between the 6300 and the 8320? is one easier to overclock than the other? It will be my first time overclocking.

Any other suggestions on a mobo? i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281
also looking at a gigabyte board last night but i cant seem to find it today....
frown.gif
do they make good boards in this chipset? looing to spend $90-120 on the board
As far as I know they both overclock well.

I have heard bad things about that ASrock board, but thats just rumors, no personal experience. But some around here will recommend against it. I will say that the Sabertooth is mounds better though. If thats out of your price range, see what else ASUS has to offer in your price range, they overclock extremely well.

AMD chips are extremely fun to overclock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With our first kid on the way, it already was hard enough to get my wife to sign off on upgrading lol if i can save $100 by going AMD, i will. Ive read all about how Intel is "better" and they might run cooler, but bottem line for me is i game, if i can take that 100 bucks i save in mobo/cpu and slide it over to the GPU, ill gladly do that. Granted i havnt owned a recent intel chip, so im going with the whole ignorance is bliss thing. i liked the tri-core amd i had last so im sure ill be impressed by the 6300.

Its $140, with a good 990fx board ive read multiple posts on people getting 4.5 OC on air. im looking at going 4.2 for starters. It just seems like for a guy like me on a budget, the fx-6300 has alot of potential for what i do. It will get my computer fixed and running and usable for a decent price.

im going to look thru different 990fx boards today at work and ill post what i find tonight.

again, any mobo or cpu or any suggestions or info u guys provide is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
AMD FX-6300 $134.99 @ NCIX
AMD FX-8320 $169.99 @NCIX
AMD FX-8350 $179.99 @TigerDirect

if you have a local Micro Center FX-6300 $120, FX-8320 $140, FX-8350 $170

MY AMD motherboard deal list
http://www.overclock.net/t/1369005/amd-motherboard-sale-round-up

10% off select AMD motherboard @ newegg
promo code "MBAMD38314"

ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ (990X chipset) $99.99 - 10% = $90 + shipping
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 (990FX chipset) $145.99 - 10% - $10 rebate = $120 free shipping

Good deals on boards that seem not to qualify for the 10% off promo

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 $145 after $20 rebate
ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 (990X chipset) $84.99

NCIX free shipping over $100 orders
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 $119.99 after $20 rebate
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 $124.99 after $10 rebate
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 $179.99

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
Well for a start the 6300 is a lot slower than a 8320 but it's only a tiny bit more than a 4300 so it's a no-brainer if you want a 4300 ITFP
*Warning : The 4300 in multi-threaded apps is about a i3-3220. And the 6300 in even more highly-threaded apps will beat a i3-3220 to the floor by quite alot

Frankly you're better off spending on a i5-3570k (You can get it cheap from microcenter) and saving on your power bill. It's a no brainer for power savings.
Piledriver is still power hungry

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Quote:

So i am in the middle of doing research for parts to upgrade my desktop.
I thought this time around i would go Intel but as i get closer to pushing that confirm order button, I start to feel guilty for not giving AMD at least a glance. I have had AMD powered builds for my last 2 rigs and they never gave up the ghost. These are the Intel parts i have decided on:

Thanks!!
What is your current Rig? (can anything be re-used?)
If you live near a MicroCenter I would say, go with the i5 and CoolerMaster Evo Air Cooler.

Otherwise, I would say go with the FX 6300, Gigabyte 970FX-UD3 and use the extra money on GPU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts