Overclock.net banner

121 - 140 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
BTW, I can also confirm my MP510 2Tb was updated to 12.3, no file loss, performance more stable and looks increased here and there

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
BTW, I can also confirm my MP510 2Tb was updated to 12.3, no file loss, performance more stable and looks increased here and there
I can also say that my update from 12.2 to 12.3 was completely painless on the 960gb MP510. I really didn't have it long enough prior to updating to chime in with stability or performance changes.

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Temps on my Corsair Force MP510 dropped from about 49-51c in idle to only 37c in idle after i moved it over to the PCI-E adaptor so it made one hell of a difference!
Dont think i ever got to say thank you for the help JackCY without this thread i would have bought an overpriced 970 Evo

Edit: this is what i bought never heard of that brand but it was the only thing i could find
Thank you.

Delock makes accessories such as cables and probably docking stations, etc. overall accessories and peripherals. Most of these PCIe convertors are from such companies. https://www.delock.com/produkte/index.html
They've been around a while.

This is pointless, I had 1TB MP500 which is INSANELY hot [ i think 59-60C on idle] under my 2080ti, now i have MP510 2TB in same place and its so efficient that during benchmarks it gets to 48C.
With my MP500 I used one of Chinese heatsinks with micro fan build in and it helped to lower by 10 degrees and lowering even more wont speed it up.
Now with MP510 i only use build in Gigabyte heatsink, the one that came for free with the mobo.
BTW, NAND wants heat, it works better when hot, its the controller that needs to be cooled down, if you cool down the NAND way too much it will start degrading, its known fact you can google it.
So all you need to do is keep the controller under its officially rated working temps that it, there is no reason or actual need to actively cool down NVMe drives.
People with water cooling or huge heatsinks with big fans doing the nand disservice
The temperature sensors are not as accurate as you may hope. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_force_series_mp510_m_2_ssd_review,6.html

Mine is 15C too low.
One doesn't need to cool it a lot but sticking it under a hot GPU with no heatsink is bound to throttle it. Even on board with no heatsink it may throttle when you hammer it if there is no airflow over the drive. This is not rare for modern fast SSD controllers.
A small heatsink or motherboard heatsink goes a long way to reduce the controller temperature and spread it's heat out.

This is the smallest cheapest double sided cooler I could find, it's screwed on too, many of these small ones tend to be clipped on one or both sides or outright rubber banded on, yuck!

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
40,952 Posts
I dont strees my drive enough to justify buying a heatsink for it since my PC is sitting in idle/low use playing music and video most of the time
I bought a PCI-E adaptor for it because being stuck under the GPU would be bad for it in the long run and the temps seemed a bit high

·
Registered
21 Posts
I dont strees my drive enough to justify buying a heatsink for it since my PC is sitting in idle/low use playing music and video most of the time
I bought a PCI-E adaptor for it because being stuck under the GPU would be bad for it in the long run and the temps seemed a bit high
You can buy 2TB NVMe but cant spent 10-15USD on heatsink for it?
Go to aliexpress and order one, better to have it then not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you.

Delock makes accessories such as cables and probably docking stations, etc. overall accessories and peripherals. Most of these PCIe convertors are from such companies. https://www.delock.com/produkte/index.html
They've been around a while.

The temperature sensors are not as accurate as you may hope. https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_force_series_mp510_m_2_ssd_review,6.html

Mine is 15C too low.
One doesn't need to cool it a lot but sticking it under a hot GPU with no heatsink is bound to throttle it. Even on board with no heatsink it may throttle when you hammer it if there is no airflow over the drive. This is not rare for modern fast SSD controllers.
A small heatsink or motherboard heatsink goes a long way to reduce the controller temperature and spread it's heat out.

This is the smallest cheapest double sided cooler I could find, it's screwed on too, many of these small ones tend to be clipped on one or both sides or outright rubber banded on, yuck!
When i had the MP500 which was hell hot, i had one like yours, but on oneend it has the fins cut out and small fan inside.
Thats how it was installed under my GPU.
Now with MP510 Im using the motherboard NVMe Heatsink, it has no fan

·
Senior OCN Member
40,952 Posts
You can buy 2TB NVMe but cant spent 10-15USD on heatsink for it?
Go to aliexpress and order one, better to have it then not.
Like i said i dont need a heat sink for it but if its such a big problem you are welcome to buy one for me

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
I'm sure Kmart or Walmart has some good m.2 heat sinks :)

·
Senior OCN Member
40,952 Posts
Kmart and Walmart dont exist here and like i said before if its such a huge issue you can buy one for me

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
Like i said i dont need a heat sink for it but if its such a big problem you are welcome to buy one for me
Come on....buy a heatsink....all the cool kids are doing it! ;)

Or maybe you could rig a CLC to the drive with an NZXT G12!!!!!!

If you aren't having any temp issues, not much point in buying a heatsink, now is there?

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Just installed my SP P34A80, seem to be working great. Had to wait a while for new stock to come in, but that came with the benefit of it coming with 12.3 out of the box(good thing I checked right before running the tool.)

Just a quick run of CDM is showing better performance than the MP510 as well, pretty happy, especially for the price! :p

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Hi,
The 970 evo plus CDM score hitting spec's and then some on write

Attachments

·
Overclocker
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Hi,
The 970 evo plus CDM score hitting spec's and then some on write
While the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro wasn't? No idea why is that.

There seems to be P34A80 on Amazon.de, sold by Amazon = it ships to most countries unlike the "official" SP seller on Amazon which did not and probably still does not.
Prices are higher than the low there was at start of summer. 10+ EUR, which can make the QLCs more compelling for pure budget option.

I suppose there are no new controllers, memory modules, drives yet in this budget friendly segment?

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
While the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro wasn't? No idea why is that.

There seems to be P34A80 on Amazon.de, sold by Amazon = it ships to most countries unlike the "official" SP seller on Amazon which did not and probably still does not.
Prices are higher than the low there was at start of summer. 10+ EUR, which can make the QLCs more compelling for pure budget option.

I suppose there are no new controllers, memory modules, drives yet in this budget friendly segment?
Hi,
Look back a page or two adata's 2-512 and 1-1tb were laughingly low and inconsistent at that after testing all three on two different machine
Only thing in common was they were all way off spec's and all got returned.

I'll look into deals on the 1-2tb m.2 later
Right now the two samsung 500gb evo's and one evo plus are purely for os and maybe a favorite game or two.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'm not sure I'll go with Samsung after my 850 Evo 512gb failed. I lost all of my good data on that drive. Hell, my 2009 HDD lasted longer....

So I'm also in the market in finding a decent SSD, outside of Samsung and the garbage I got from them. -_- Sorry, still salty

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
I'm not sure I'll go with Samsung after my 850 Evo 512gb failed. I lost all of my good data on that drive. Hell, my 2009 HDD lasted longer....

So I'm also in the market in finding a decent SSD, outside of Samsung and the garbage I got from them. -_- Sorry, still salty
Either way the drive should still be under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement, you can sell it if you don't want to use it.

As for a replacements, I've been using a Silicon Power P34A80 1TB for about 4 months now, the performance has been really solid and it comes with a 5y warranty.

Over here the Corsair MP510 and and PNY XLR8 CS3030 are similarly priced as well and both also have 5y warranties.

Depending on where you live there might be other options, but since you listed a useless location, I can't really recommend anything specific.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My Inland Premium 2TB drives came with ECFM22.4 out of the box.
My old MP510 that I updated to 12.3 manually and my new MP510 that came with 22.5. Both show as "latest" on corsair's ssd toolbox.

Attachments

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
My old MP510 that I updated to 12.3 manually and my new MP510 that came with 22.5. Both show as "latest" on corsair's ssd toolbox.
When I bought the MP510, I went in assuming that Corsair's software would be an absolute joke and that I would need to take care of the drive manually. Coming to terms with that at the onset is a big help in tempering expectations when using any Corsair product.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Are these good drives.

What is a Good 2TB Phison E12 + Toshiba drive

Also what is this update data leak think I read on the first post? Do I have to worry about this

121 - 140 of 214 Posts