Overclock.net banner

What are "Mac Pro" compatible graphics cards?

1219 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Shadowarez
Hello fellow overclockers!

Something has been bothering me for some time. What's the difference between a regular graphics card and its "Mac Pro Compatible" Model? The Mac Pro models are usually double the price (example: GTX 680 is around 100 bucks on ebay, but $300 for a mac pro version). Aren't they the same?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Firmware is only difference iv seen bios hacks that turn any Nvidia you into a mac gpu just by hacking firmware. Apple has to empty the wallet anyway it can even when it's something this simple. Hell I even had one of my titan x converted to a mac gpu other day. Sold it for a nice profit the guy who bought it put it into a G5 2012 Duel Xeon rig for work said it saved him $1200.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,806 Posts
You can use just about anything really but you wont have access to the boot menu in the very beginning. I am running a GTX 1070 in my mac right now without issues. Nvidia just released drivers for ti.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought so, I didn't think there was much of a difference between regular graphics cards and Mac graphics cards. It's pretty crazy to see such blatant money grabbing by apple.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,806 Posts
There is a dfference though. The big one is the fact the bios have been modified with apple code. That is where you pay a premium.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post

Or it can be done with some coding skill for free but like apple take till you're empty soul and all then try squeeze more outa its users. But that's apple for ya.
Or just find some EFI bios made for apples and flash the card yourself. However, you need a card it is compatible with. So good luck on that one.
thumb.gif

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Yeah just wish apple had that crazy Enthusiast Platform like PC as I find most the software iv used back in day like marathon Forge was like playing ark but I was building a game world as I walked through it couldn't learn world forge in half life. Apple needs that option to build a custom work station those hackintoshs don't work as well as a OEM would. Think a Alienware style apple workstation. That'd be sick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.