Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my living room TV seems to have died. Or at least the HDMI inputs did - I get audio but no video when using my PS4 plugged in through the sound system and output to the TV. I tried plugging the PS4 just straight into the TV, still no dice. Gotta do a bit more troubleshooting but the TV's only a 47" anyway and it's a 2009 model. It's worked fantastically with 0 issues till now, but I'm debating on a 4k upgrade anyway that I could possibly do some living room gaming on from my PC. While my PC is in my bedroom, I could pretty easily run an HDMI through the wall to get to the TV. Similarly, I'd like to be able to cast 4k video, but since I'm going through a sound system I think I'd have to have a whole separate box to do that. Hell, might be worth getting an Apple TV just to run Plex for that, since that's what I use for the most part.

Anyway...what're my options for a 55" screen? Any reasonably affordable monitors, or am I stuck with trying for a deal on a Costco TV? All my stuff goes through the sound system so I really don't care about having 5 HDMI inputs, 4 component, some crappy speakers, "smart" TV features, etc. I'd be perfectly happy with just a quality 55" 4k monitor that's at least 120hz (current monitor is a G-sync 165 hz).

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
You'll be stuck with 60 hz. There isn't anything that large at 4k that's true 120hz.

If you want the best picture look into OLED.

·
Premium Member
6,759 Posts
There are still no models available with the inputs needed to support more than 4k 60hz, regardless of what the panel supports. Sad times
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
7,970 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
+1 for the TCL P607/605 (same tv just latter has a cheaper remote)

I dont have one myself but have been considering getting one until 4k 120hz OLED, but i feel like i can wait another 3 months to see if CES will have those OLEDs or not for 2018 so im holding off on buying the TCL.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The TLC's are really nice at their price and if you do live by Costco the C803 (the c807 but with a worse remote) is $450. For that price it's hard to beat, it is similar to the P605/7, but lacks local dimming and higher peak brightness, but it has decent speakers and looks a little more premium (even though it isn't). Just like the P series, it supports HDR and Dolby Vision, has decent input lag, and a pretty good panel. You can buy it and try it out for 90 days before deciding whether to keep it or not. If HDR is really important to you, I would definitely recommend the extra $150 spent on the P605 at Bestbuy.

Also, unlike the budget Samsungs, these two TLCs can do 24p (Blu-ray playback) without judder. Most 4k TV's released recently have the ability to do 4:4:4 chroma.

Check rtings.com to see if they have any reviews for whatever TV you are interested in.

·
Registered
336 Posts
LG SJ series and Sony XE85 and upwards both do 120hz @ 1080p and 4k @ 60hz 4:4:4:4. LG SJ model = 15ms input lag, Sony models = 25ms-30ms

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55SJ8500-4k-uhd-tv

This one's on sale right now....

It's available on Amazon too with free shipping.

What I hate is that my old LG still appears to work fine it's just not taking any HDMI signals. I tried 3 different cables with 2 different devices, plugged them directly into the TV to bypass my receiver. Nothing. No dead pixels or anything, just the HDMI refuses to work now.

·
User
2,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petehmb View Post

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55SJ8500-4k-uhd-tv

This one's on sale right now....

It's available on Amazon too with free shipping.

What I hate is that my old LG still appears to work fine it's just not taking any HDMI signals. I tried 3 different cables with 2 different devices, plugged them directly into the TV to bypass my receiver. Nothing. No dead pixels or anything, just the HDMI refuses to work now.
Lol don't even consider LG unless it's OLED. They use IPS panels wich have crap contrast ratios.

Look at the Sony X900E,Samsung last year models KS8000/9000,LG OLED or the TCL P Series. Maybe even Vizio.

·
Registered
336 Posts
He is focused on gaming, so obviously you can´t get both things. LG SJ contrast of 1300:1 is not the best in the world but still higher than PC monitor, and the fact is the fastest TV on the market, makes it very suitable for games. Also does 120hz at resolutions lower than 4k, when a PC is connected. Can´t get any better.

This model was specifically designed for gamers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post

He is focused on gaming, so obviously you can´t get both things. LG SJ contrast of 1300:1 is not the best in the world but still higher than PC monitor, and the fact is the fastest TV on the market, makes it very suitable for games. Also does 120hz at resolutions lower than 4k, when a PC is connected. Can´t get any better.

This model was specifically designed for gamers.
I used to play Xbox (original xbox live in like 2003) on one of these:

Combined with a Cambridge home theater setup, it was good enough to get me into the top 500 players for Return To Castle Wolfenstein
tongue.gif

I don't think I'll be bothered too much by minute differences in contrast ratio or anything - but what WILL bother me is screen lag and such. Plus my living room window reflects against either the TV itself or the wall directly behind me, so I end up seeing my reflection. So yeah...colors or whatever being slightly off from model to model doesn't concern me as much as true 120hz and input lag.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petehmb View Post

I used to play Xbox (original xbox live in like 2003) on one of these:

Combined with a Cambridge home theater setup, it was good enough to get me into the top 500 players for Return To Castle Wolfenstein
tongue.gif

I don't think I'll be bothered too much by minute differences in contrast ratio or anything - but what WILL bother me is screen lag and such. Plus my living room window reflects against either the TV itself or the wall directly behind me, so I end up seeing my reflection. So yeah...colors or whatever being slightly off from model to model doesn't concern me as much as true 120hz and input lag.
Honestly my dude, if i were you, i would just grab a tcl p series and wait until the next big thing happens.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If input lag AND 120hz is all that matters, that LG tv is solid. It also seems to do very well with reflections.

To be fair though, the contrast ratio difference is not 'minute,' it is pretty night and day compared to a VA with local dimming (the X900E). However, as stated about 1300-1600:1 CR is nothing to scoff at for an IPS.

The TLC P series is good, but it lacks the 120HZ, but is one of the best TV's for the money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts