Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
What is your current ambient temperature? Just in case you're wondering what that is, it's the temperature of the air that's surrounding your computer. Or, it's the "room temperature".

Either way, this is a big variable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ehm i think its idle on 40 and under load a bit higher, i ask it cause when i add voltage to my processor its getting very hot (i dont even add much voltage) maybe 0,125 + and its already hot...

i cant even get an normal overclock,maybe i just need to get a better cooler...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe230 View Post
ehm i think its idle on 40 and under load a bit higher, i ask it cause when i add voltage to my processor its getting very hot (i dont even add much voltage) maybe 0,125 + and its already hot...

Ok, so what is the air temperature in your computer room (the air that you're breathing)?

2nd question: are you using the stock cooler?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
air temperature is just normal (sometimes even ice-cold), and yes i am using stock cooler...

edit : but ive seen a lot of people getting high overclocks on stock cooler without overheating and they even added voltage..

oh and i bought my pc from a shop, it is overclockable (its not a computer like Dell or HP)

oh yeah and i think that this is my motherboard http://en.kioskea.net/guide/details/...oxconn-g31mx-k

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

air temperature is just normal (sometimes even ice-cold), and yes i am using stock cooler...

edit : but ive seen a lot of people getting high overclocks on stock cooler without overheating and they even added voltage..

oh and i bought my pc from a shop, it is overclockable (its not a computer like Dell or HP)
Where do you keep the computer? This is another important variable. Is it in a "deskhole", or is it out in the open such as being on your desk or on the floor next to you?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

I just noticed here that you're saying that you add like 0.125V. That's a massive jump. I mean, let's say I have a voltage of 1.30V and I add 0.125V: that makes it become 1.425V. But a small increase would be more like 0.02V, or 0.03V.

So, if you're really adding 0.125V, then this is why the temperatures get so hot.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ehm... but my bios does not allow to type in my custom voltage manually

i can only choose 0.125 V and more or i can undervoltage it by 0.125 and more....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh yeah and i think its the same story with the DRAM Voltage Regulator..

i can only choose +10, +20 or +30 (i can not do this manual to)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Then I recommend that this system be left at stock until you get a high-end, high-performance air cooler.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

I just noticed here that you're saying that you add like 0.125V. That's a massive jump. I mean, let's say I have a voltage of 1.30V and I add 0.125V: that makes it become 1.425V. But a small increase would be more like 0.02V, or 0.03V.

So, if you're really adding 0.125V, then this is why the temperatures get so hot.

wow i did not knew that...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe230
View Post

ok that will be fine, what cooler do you recommend ?

Well, I only have actual experience with my Tuniq Tower which I purchased in March of 2008. So, all I can do is recommend what I see commonly recommended here on Overclock.net.

But before I show what I've seen recommended, what do you suppose would be your budget? I've seen them go from as low as like $20-$30 to as high as $70 to $80. Unfortunately, we usually get what we pay for with these things (but not always).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
but it sucks i cant do things manual in my bios (if i could then i would be able to get an nice overclock)....

really no solution?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by battleaxe230
View Post

but it sucks i cant do things manual in my bios (if i could then i would be able to get an nice overclock)....

really no solution?

The only real solution is to get a better motherboard that's known for its overclocking abilities, such as the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. But the CPU plays a big role too, and the Q8200 doesn't overclock very well.
I mean, it can be overclocked, but not like CPUs that have a multiplier of x9.0 or x10.0. The Q8200's multiplier can only go as high as x7.0.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts