Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for 80mm, and 120mm fans. I haven't found any useable data to this effect

They need to be:
decent static force (several fan grills, and 1 120mm rad
)
low noise, especially at load
25mm thick, or less. (preferably)

Please assume price is no object, if price may be factored, I'd like to keep this whole operation below 50usd?

I've heard noctua fans are best for this set of requirements, is this true?

Thank you!
-AbleArcher

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Last time I checked Scythe S-Flex medium speed fans at 50 CFM are the best noise to CFM ratio around. They are very reliable too. They are rated at 20DB. I just got 4 of them and I can't hear them at all. They are the making of a silent case.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher
View Post

I've heard noctua fans are best for this set of requirements, is this true?

Not necessarily. The best fans for your requirements are the Sharkoon Silent Eagle SE and Scythe GentleTyphoon AP-14. Both are really good noise-performance fans, and the Sharkoon uses a modular fan plug with sleeved cables for 7v, 9v, or 12v operations, in both 3-pin and molex use.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktulu
View Post

Last time I checked Scythe S-Flex medium speed fans at 50 CFM are the best noise to CFM ratio around. They are very reliable too. They are rated at 20DB. I just got 4 of them and I can't hear them at all. They are the making of a silent case.

Thank you! I have a problem, though, there are about 9 different models of this on NewEgg (however, both in the 80/120mm form factors
), are you referring only to the 20dba models, or all of them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr soft
View Post

I´ll say the Gentle typhoons , They are one of the best when it comes to DB vs CFM.

Thank you! I have noticed the Gentle Typhoon has a really low RPM, would this be enough to drive a Corsair H50? Better than the stock H50 fan? The current one has to... really work at it to force air out of my case (it's tiny), since I made it fit in merely 2 5.25" drive bays (pics are in my 9800gt SLI review, in sig).

Thank you!

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp
View Post

Not necessarily. The best fans for your requirements are the Sharkoon Silent Eagle SE and Scythe GentleTyphoon AP-14. Both are really good noise-performance fans, and the Sharkoon uses a modular fan plug with sleeved cables for 7v, 9v, or 12v operations, in both 3-pin and molex use.

Thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Quote:

Thank you! I have noticed the Gentle Typhoon has a really low RPM, would this be enough to drive a Corsair H50? Better than the stock H50 fan? The current one has to... really work at it to force air out of my case (it's tiny), since I made it fit in merely 2 5.25" drive bays (pics are in my 9800gt SLI review, in sig).

Wow cable management screaming at me.

I have 3 of the 1250rpm´s I think, and they are the best I´ve tried so far.

The 1450rpm one linked from Chunky_Chimp should suit you fine. I have no experience with water cooling but it looks like that rad could use a bit more space.
Is that a shuttle case?

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr soft
View Post

Wow cable management screaming at me.

I have 3 of the 1250rpm´s I think, and they are the best I´ve tried so far.

The 1450rpm one linked from Chunky_Chimp should suit you fine. I have no experience with water cooling but it looks like that rad could use a bit more space.
Is that a shuttle case?

Thank you

A shuttle !?
ohh..... that would be way too small for me

It's a Silverstone SG02-F (black)
http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...o=SG02-F&area=
nice, mATX case
Shorter than most mATX lanboxes, because they placed the PSU over the CPU area, and didn't have to fight the PCI slots for space (like most designs do).

Of course, the major flaw being I lose my Optical drive bays with the H50...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ktulu
View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185005

These fans are awesome and you get a volume savings with them.

Thanks for the REP buddy.

Thank you! I am not looking for volume savings (can only fit on, unfortuneately
), but still great to know!

Does anybody have any other input on 80mm fans? it looks like 120mm has been well-addressed

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Best quiet 80mm? This. It's not going to get much better. and btw chunky, don't hate on the noctuas. They are good fans. A little pricey, but nice and quiet.

And I agree with the gentle typhoons. Great fans. I just ordered some ap-14's for my mugen 2.

EDIT: Changed my mind. I didn't know noiseblocker made 80mm fans. Here you go. That fan will perform better than the noctua will.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
I bought the Noctua R8 for the front of my Antec case. It makes too much noise when it's moving air; it doesn't move air air when it's not making noise. These are better than the Noctuas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am hearing about the Gentle Typhoons are good with static pressure. Which is good Rad/HS cooler.

Also seen they were going for cheap over at www.koolertek.com. I just bought 2 Sythe Slipstream 1900RPMs from them. can't wait to try them noisy guys out!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

I bought the Noctua R8 for the front of my Antec case. It makes too much noise when it's moving air; it doesn't move air air when it's not making noise. These are better than the Noctuas.

Yeah the r8 doesn't seem that great, but the noiseblocker I linked is very nice

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So for the 80mm fans, the noiseblockers, then? I could return the two Antec Tricools I got at Frys, still... (better then the server fans, but barely. To move decent air out of these dense grills, they need no make some noise).

Thank you!

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
So for the 80mm fans, the noiseblockers, then? I could return the two Antec Tricools I got at Frys, still... (better then the server fans, but barely. To move decent air out of these dense grills, they need no make some noise).

Thank you!
Yeah those noiseblockers are great fans and have pretty good static pressure for low speed fans. Plus they will last you a VERY long time due to the type of bearing they use. Just to give you an idea, the fan has a 6 year warranty. So does the noctua, but that is mostly an open air case fan to use with no grills.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM are a good CFM/DB ratio. If you want the option to be able to spin the fans up, go for either the 1600RPM or 1900RPM versions. They are basically the same fan, just spin faster, so if you tone them down with a fan controller, you will have the same effective CFM/noise ratio. I have 3 in my sig rig, and they are silent. I believe they do something like 55CFM with like 20dB? Something like that.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume View Post
"Dense grills" eh? Are the grills in front of the fans?

I'm a big 'fan' of removing grills when I can.
There are two grills:

One to protect the fan from the inside (simple, basic, metal wire frame), especially since my case has an abhorrent amount of cables, and it is "push comes to shove," in there.
Another, on the outside, to.... prevent stuff from going into the fan from the outside?

The case is a Silverstone SG02-F, the rear (angled) fan location is great! The fan I put there (server fan) really moves a lot of air, but the other location, parallel with the top grill (with a half centimeter clearance), barely moves any air, and is a real limitation to my system's cooling, especially since I need this fan location to be moving all the hot air from my 9800gt sli setup, OUT of the case.

There is another fan location, on the other side of the case, drawing air into the hard drive bay, that is doing quite fine (noisey... though...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts