Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to finally get double shot keycaps for my original 104-key Filco Majestouch. I want the best ones of course, and I'd also prefer the Windows logo on the Windows keys. Edit: I'd prefer PBT double shot keycaps.

Oh, and I'd also prefer them to be black.

Thank you. :)

Update: I just placed an order for these! 104 Key PBT Double Shot Keycap Set - Gray/Dark Gray (Tai-Hao)

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Keycaps are mainly user preference. I use PBT doubleshot key caps because I don't like the shine of worn out ABS keycaps.

I can recommend a brand: Tai-hao are probably the most popular keycaps. I have had mine for 4 years without an issue.

• Rep+
Reactions: TwoCables

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Keycaps are mainly user preference. I use PBT doubleshot key caps because I don't like the shine of worn out ABS keycaps.

I can recommend a brand: Tai-hao are probably the most popular keycaps. I have had mine for 4 years without an issue.

Thank you. I did see that Tai-Hao was the most prevalent brand on mechanicalkeyboards.com. Perhaps I'll just get the one I think I'll like the most!

Edit: Indeed, I'd rather have PBT double shot. I should have said so. :)
Edit 2: Thread updated!

Edit 3: Order placed! 104 Key PBT Double Shot Keycap Set - Gray/Dark Gray (Tai-Hao)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm typing on my new keycaps! I installed them just a few minutes ago. They're not bad. They have a nice quality rough texture (rough in comparison to having 10-year old stock ABS keycaps).

The raised bit on the 'J' key for Home Row identification isn't as easy to feel as it is on the 'F' key. The 'F' key is perfectly pronounced while the 'J' key feels worn down like my old one. heh I guess I got what I paid for.

I couldn't use the spacebar because my keyboard has stabilizer bars and the spacebar key in this set is molded for 6 Cherry MX switches for just the spacebar. My keyboard just has the one switch. I was able to install the spacebar, but it was far too unstable. In my test typing in Notepad, I had several missed Spacebar keystrokes. So I have my old black spacebar installed. Here's a thumbnail of a photo:
IMG_2219.JPG
(by the way, you can also see what I was talking about with the 'F' and 'J' keys if you zoom in on the photo)

I think it's ugly, but at least I get a space every time I press the spacebar. (I'm beginning to like the look already though) If you're noticing the vibrant color of the lettering, that's not accurate. Refer to the photos here for a nearly 100% accurate representation of the colors: 104 Key PBT Double Shot Keycap Set - Gray/Dark Gray (Tai-Hao)

None of these keys are molded for stabilizer bars though. Fortunately, not even the biggest keys need them, but those keycaps are molded for 3 Cherry MX switches to act as stabilizers. Again though, fortunately I don't need them.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I'm glad no one told me about not being able to use my stabilizer bars because I probably wouldn't have purchased any keycaps due to not finding any Filco branded keycaps in stock anywhere.

There is one more thing that makes me think I bought low-quality PBT double shot keycaps: the mold for the color of the lettering is only at the top of the keycap. Below is the thumbnail of a photo showing what I have:
IMG_2215.jpeg
So, they aren't as big of a difference in sound and feel as I was hoping for, but hey, these are great for my first upgrade! The next time I buy new keycaps, I'm going to make sure they are high-end.

Edit: The more time I spend with them, the more I love them!

·
Lost in SoCal
639 Posts
Glad you are liking them, and I hear you about space bars not fitting. My first semi-mechanical was a corsair that doesn't use cherry stems on the membrane keys (I'll grab a pic later)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoa nevermind the Corsair keyboard; what's that keyboard to the right?! It looks awesome.

·
Lost in SoCal
639 Posts
Azio Retro, picked up for the Wife to use on her Surface. Very clickey, Very retro, Pretty nice to type on (surprisingly).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Omg wow. I checked them out on their site and those are the most beautiful keyboards I've seen so far. Maybe someday when I have extra money. :)

In other news, I'm loving my new keycaps more and more. At first, I wasn't so sure I like the comparatively rough texture, but now I love it. It has definitely improved everything as it relates to using my keyboard. I also love the color theme I chose of the gray and dark gray with the light blue hallmarks.

I also love the new sound of my keyboard, even though it's not quite as big of a change as I was hoping for due to the way these keycaps are made.

I wish I had done this years ago, like the day I bought the keyboard. lol :)

·
Lost in SoCal
639 Posts
Awesome! I do agree that good caps can change a keeb a ton. I don't have a huge preference between smoother or rougher, as long as there is a texture. I have had smooth topped keys and they feel weird to type on.

And if you like the Azio- put it on your Amazon list- it's often on sale around $90 / $95. The $200 on the company site is not what I spent. :ROFLMAO:

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! I do agree that good caps can change a keeb a ton. I don't have a huge preference between smoother or rougher, as long as there is a texture. I have had smooth topped keys and they feel weird to type on.

And if you like the Azio- put it on your Amazon list- it's often on sale around $90 / $95. The $200 on the company site is not what I spent. :ROFLMAO:
Oh! That's a much more reasonable price for a mechanical keyboard with Kailh switches. Thank you for the heads up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts