Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically my power supply failed on Christmas morning of all days and killed the motherboard, what do you think the chances are that my video card survived? The Hard drives lived the DVD Drive lived the fans lived even my h100i lived i don't know about the processor as I don't have another motherboard to test it, it was a Seasonic 620 watt bronze if that matters

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
There is probably a good chance it did I would inspect the card see if you notice any burn marks or odd smell coming off it (inspect the power connections and the pins for the slot also check the back for discoloration around the vrms and memory chips). All you can really hope for is a jolt didn't go threw the 12v rail that the card was on.

Without another board to test it, its difficult to be sure, if you have a local PC shop they should be able to test it for you, but it would probably cost you same goes for the cpu.

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. biggums View Post

There is probably a good chance it did I would inspect the card see if you notice any burn marks or odd smell coming off it (inspect the power connections and the pins for the slot also check the back for discoloration around the vrms and memory chips). All you can really hope for is a jolt didn't go threw the 12v rail that the card was on.

Without another board to test it, its difficult to be sure, if you have a local PC shop they should be able to test it for you, but it would probably cost you same goes for the cpu.
No burn marks and it doesn't have that burnt electronic smell like my motherboard does. The back looks normal matte black without any discoloration and the pins looks brand new and shiny. I am friends with the owner of the PC shop down the road a bit I'll give him a call later today and see if i cant have him test it real quick i just hope hes got a powerful enough PSU it's more like a mom and pop shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts