Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a i5 3570K soon, what are the chances of me needing to delid the cpu if I'm heading to get it to 4.5 GHZ?

CPU Cooler would be a Thermaltake Frio (2x fan large heatsink with 5x heatpipes each side)

·
Registered
204 Posts
To get there with your cooler it will definitely be better in the temp dept. with delidding however you should be able to get to 4.1 with little to no temp changes and from there you can gauge if your chip is a volt hungry monster or an undervolting champ. I got super lucky with my 3770k and can get to 4.1 with my offset voltage at -.065 but some people have to raise their voltage just to get there, it is the luck of the draw with chips. I imagine that you can get to 4.5 with your cooler but your load temps will be in the 72-78 C range (unless your chip requires less than average voltage). Good luck
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytech7 View Post

To get there with your cooler it will definitely be better in the temp dept. with delidding however you should be able to get to 4.1 with little to no temp changes and from there you can gauge if your chip is a volt hungry monster or an undervolting champ. I got super lucky with my 3770k and can get to 4.1 with my offset voltage at -.065 but some people have to raise their voltage just to get there, it is the luck of the draw with chips. I imagine that you can get to 4.5 with your cooler but your load temps will be in the 72-78 C range (unless your chip requires less than average voltage). Good luck
thumb.gif
So when you mean load temps, do you mean load temps as in prime 95 stress testing?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, prolly in the safe zone if just gaming.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got my i5 3570K today, did a 4.7 GHz overclock, Core Voltage: 1.240V. Minimum temperature 27°C, Maximum Temperature 74°C

CPU-Z Validation: "http://valid.canardpc.com/v2s964"

Weird thing about my CPU: The 2nd core is around ~10°C different to all other cores...

(Already checked heatsink and thermal paste, still does same temperatures)

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
^thats a nice overclock for that vcore, id say your very close to your voltage limit, usually happens around 1.3v but can happen before. Youll know when your at your limit as temps will shoot up to like 90C during stress testing.

The core different is down to uneven IHS on the cpu die, o making uneven contact.

With my delidded cpu my temps are all within 2C of each other.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had to push V-Core up to 1.268v to have stable but max 78C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts