Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 SSD's that each have a read of 200MB/s, however my controller is limiting this to around 400MB/s when all 4 are in RAID0. I dont want to spend 700 dollars on a card and i am curious about the PERC's since they can be found cheaply on ebay. Can the PERC's handle 4 SSD's in raid0? Will they bottleneck me as the onboard controller does?

Also, if they dont work, does anyone have any ideas for a cheaper card that can handle the drives?

Thanks! rep to all.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
The way I'm reading Dell's specs, the PERC 5/i is rated for 300MBytes/sec max over the whole card, while the PERC 6/i can do that on each port. So I'd stick them on a 6/i. Someone with real world experience with the cards should comment, though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

The way I'm reading Dell's specs, the PERC 5/i is rated for 300MBytes/sec max over the whole card, while the PERC 6/i can do that on each port. So I'd stick them on a 6/i. Someone with real world experience with the cards should comment, though.

I agree, i would really like to know from someone who actually has one before i consider purchasing. Anyone got one?!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have a RAID5 array on a PERC 5/i card with 8x1TB WD Blacks. It started as 5 drives, and 1 drive at a time has expanded to 8. I've run speed tests each time. The difference between 7 and 8 drives was very minor, if any. I'm getting around 625-650MB/s max with 8 drives in RAID5. All was done with HDTune.

I think JustusIV has 8x1TB Sammy's that he is getting over 700MB/s? I could be wrong there, but I know he is a little faster.

The fastest real world transfers I've experienced were about 370MB/s read with 5x1TB drives. I had teamed 4x1Gbps NICs and had a couple people pulling. Hopefully now with 8x1TB I will try again to hit line speed on 4Gbps when I get the chance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that sounds pretty good. my theoretical max speed is somewhere around 800-900MB/s. if your getting that close then its much faster than the 300/400 im getting now. Any others?

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
The PERC 6 is your cheapest bet for best performance, but the PERC 5 can do quite well too, and easily beat your onboard. Manyak hung 4 Intel G2s off his PERC5 and I belive hit ~700MB/s or so, but has since upgraded to an LSI 9260-8i (check out the results here. His PERC benches are also on here somewhere but I haven't found them with my quick search attempt - maybe PM him?

Basically the PERC 5 is far and away the cheapest option. The PERC 6 is a little faster but a little more expensive, but is probably what I would go for if you can get one (I actually have 3 of them, so I may be a little biased). But it depends how deep your pockets are - the LSI is the best there is right now...

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
But your onboard does not have an nForce chipset. They are (sadly for the OP) much poorer performers.

In actual real-world use, I think your onboard controller will be faster than an add-in card. Don't bother getting a PERC for that.

• Rep+
Reactions: OpTiMaTeZ

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Found it.

See the bench here.

I would have been satisfied with that TBH. But I guess the controller is not a lot extra cash if you can afford the SSDs to begin with...

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anbu-kakashi
View Post

Yea, but i'm planning to get 2 more intel x25's

for 4 G2s the best bet is the LSI 9260, or the upcoming 9211 cards (just released). They don't do hardware RAID5, but look to be pretty fast, and will be cheaper than anything comparable.

The actual real-world performance will likely be identical using your onboard, either PERC or the LSI cards however...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats not bad at all. I think i may invest in one of those. If you get a 5/i 6/i do you have to buy ram for it? Also, do you have to buy SAS to SATA cables? I've never actually heard of SAS until i started researching raid cards...

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
You will need SAS-SATA breakout or fanout cables (careful not to get reverse cables - they look the same but will not work). They can be had pretty cheap though ($10-12 or so shipped).

The 6/i has RAM built in - no upgrades possible. The 5/i should come with the stock 256GB, but can be upgraded to 512, although it needs a very specific type of registered DIMM - check out the PERC thread here for more info (can't remember the details off the top of my head, especially since I don't own one...). The PERCs do have some issues with some motherboards though, but they are so much cheaper than anythng else they are worth a punt IMO.

Also look for Borito4 in the For Sale section - he often has cards available for cheaper than eBay will usually provide...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Like Beastie says you're not likely to noticed the performance increase but I like your motivation to keep the economy moving!

And if you're looking for those PERK cards make sure you get/have the BBU option or a UPS.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
going from 300-400 mb/s to 800mb/s doesnt show a real world improvement? I could tell a huge jump from 200 to 400, why wouldnt 400 to 800 be a difference? Just curious, ive never been that high up before to tell what its like.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:

I could tell a huge jump from 200 to 400, why wouldnt 400 to 800 be a difference?

If you're coming from mechanical HDs your "huge jump" difference is probably the decrease in seek time.

I noticed very little, if any, speed difference from one to two Intel drives.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Newegg?

Looks like the 9211 cards are also available - a lot cheaper, but will still perform well with 4-8 SSDs in RAID0.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts