Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the thermal paste to AS5 on my laptop and I started looking at the temps right after. I played skyrim on ultra and the average temp as 89C and max was 95C! That seems very high, could I have put too much paste on it?

EDIT: It goes up to even 98C and I already re applied again

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
That seems a bit high, but it depends on a lot of factors. What is the model of the notebook? Is it overclocked? Is the heatsink clean? Mobile GPUs do tend to run on the warm side, but typically closer to 80C.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a Sager np9150 stock clocks. I tried to use the AS ceramique before using AS5 and it was running at around 90. I know AS5 has to cure but it is sill running a lot hotter than the cheaper brand

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried applying thermal past 3 times with different consistencies, but they all allow the gpu to get to 98C. can anyone one help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The most common problem is applying too much thermal compound. Use a small amount on the core/pkg and spread it thin but full coverage with a razor blade or something. Clean both surfaces (core/pkg and heatsink) with alcohol first.

I have a Samsung Gamer 7 with a 675M, during heavy sessions of Metro 2033 the GPU gets to about 86C according to HWMonitor. The room was about 80-83 F.

Also, try getting some IC Diamond Thermal Compound. It seems to be what all the gaming notebook resellers and builders are using. I will say, 15.6" may not have as good a cooling solution as 17.3" notebook. That might be a factor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
90 is usually what is the max for most GPU's when you're using them in a cool room (70-80F) so your temps are a little high, but still not in the dangerous zone (as the GPU would obviously throttle if it were)

Yes, there is always a chance you applied too much, though I think applying it wrong is also a common problem for pastes like AS5 that are picky. Not to mention AS5 is absolute crap. As hfm57 said, use IC Diamond. AS5 is ancient, electrically conductive (BAD), picky about how you apply it, and just all around crap at keeping things cool compared to even most Stock thermal compounds. SO many pastes out there are better than it at cooling, easier to apply (IC Diamond wants a pea sized drop in the middle, for a GPU I would suggest a bit more than that, though) and have no curing time (you can basically start the computer back up after applying the IC Diamond).

But if the room you are gaming in is 80F+, especially 85+ then 90C while maxing it out is going to be considered lucky xP So no matter what you apply, don't forget that your surroundings are VERY important (Also, don'tgame on your lap, bed, or carpet without a hard flat surface under your computer xP Make sure it's hard too, a bendy folder will still come up and reach the computer, restricting air flow)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm still having these temp problems. Could it be a messed up sensor? because it runs fine at these temps

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
GF114. Perfectly fine until 105c.

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhlood View Post

So should I be worried? I havent seen it go past 98c at all
Perfectly normal for Fermi. On a laptop even. The most you'd probably have to worry about is possibly degrading the lifespan of your chip..

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfm57 View Post

The most common problem is applying too much thermal compound. Use a small amount on the core/pkg and spread it thin but full coverage with a razor blade or something. Clean both surfaces (core/pkg and heatsink) with alcohol first.
I have a Samsung Gamer 7 with a 675M, during heavy sessions of Metro 2033 the GPU gets to about 86C according to HWMonitor. The room was about 80-83 F.
Also, try getting some IC Diamond Thermal Compound. It seems to be what all the gaming notebook resellers and builders are using. I will say, 15.6" may not have as good a cooling solution as 17.3" notebook. That might be a factor.
This is incorrect in every manner. This is a common misconception, applying "too much" doesn't insulate the CPU. The Stock thermal crap you generally see is there for longevity purposes and has really really poor thermal transfer ability. However, why you decided to repaste a 9150, I don't know...
rolleyes.gif

As for the temps, yeah that's about right for temps when you first saw it. 90*C is about right for a 15" laptop. Now you know why I wouldn't ever buy a machine that small with a GPU that powerful. The cooling is great for mid-range level GPUs that have a TDP of 75w or lower, but that's really pushing it for the GPU.

I'd like to make the note that AS5 is NOT electrically conductive. Look it up bud, that's been false for YEARS and was a marketing gimmick used by several other companies to turn people away from AS5.
rolleyes.gif
Misinformation is the heart of most problems when it comes to PCs in general. Know what you're talking about before you speak.

I personally would recommend Shin Etsu X23-7783D thermal paste. It's crazy easy to apply and is comparable to, if not better than, the IC7. Those two are great if you want the best that you can get for your money, though the amount you get is pathetic. Good enough for maybe 2-3 applications before it's gone. I usually go for GC-Extreme as it was proven to be as thermally conductive as Shin Etsu and IC7. Plus, the 3.5g tube is plentiful for at least 10+ applications. I just ran out after a year.
tongue.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts