Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know what the safe Temperature ranges are for a E6600 overclocked. i am currently at 44C at 3.6ghz (1.38V). When I run ORTHOS at load it hits 70C. Is this safe?

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Nope, far too high, I would try keeping it under 55c at load.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Hey, welcome. Fill out your specs by going to "User CP" on the top of this page then click "Edit System Specs" on the left.
When I am on full load I get 60-70 too...but I'm going to do some wire management this weekend. Are you on water? 3.6ghz (1.38V) is amazing..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just edit my system specs. I also added my Sig. I am working on keeping it stable. Orthos crashes after about 2 hours now. I have a VID of 1.225. Trying to figure all this out. I learned about keeping the MEM ratio 1:1. So I have my memory at 800 Mhz and my FSB at 400mhz with a multiplier of 9.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Just a suggestion but you might consider upgrading your bigwater. Most high-end air cooling can actually give it a run for its money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about that as well. What are some of the high end systems out their for WATER and AIR. I have been searching the web and I can not find anything.

·
Registered
926 Posts
that temperature is still VERY high for the amount of vCore you are giving it. There is a very good chance that your waterblock is not seated correctly or either you waterblock or the IHS on your processor is concave. Try reseating the waterblock with a minimal amount of AS5 and see how it spreads. If either is concave you might want to lap it.

Now on the cooling part. Lap a Tuniq Tower 120 it will beat the Big Water no problem, and the HSFs that perform similarly to the Tuniq will do about the same. Waterwise, the Swiftech Apex Ultra is very good, basically a collection of highend parts, while you can also put together a better system for a little more by buying individual parts from sites like DangerDen.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe you guys are right on teh AS5. I did put on a very thick layer. Its been a while since I built a new rig.

1.) What are the normal values then for my vCore and overclock. I am going to post a pic below. I just ordered a 1KW power supply from BFGtech. When I change the Power Supply I am going to to clean and put a very think layer of AS5!

2.) Should I go with teh Tuniq Tower 120 or the Swifttec Water cooling system? Opinions please!!!!

3.) I smeared the AS5 all over the chip. I just read the manual onlin from Artic Silver.com and it states I am suppose to put a thin line right down the middle of teh processor????!!!

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Remember that your board registers higher than most. There is a differential that many who own your board are saying is ~8C.

So you may be loading at 62C and I disagree with the view that 62C load of the digital readings of the core is dangerous. One can not compare the 55C load of prior cpu's with core2.

For example, my Dell Notebook runs ~56/58C just listening to music and here on the forum. If the T-junction is 85C, the a load of the internal cores at 70C can not be dangerous and Intel does not even begin throttling until far past that.

Very good water is normally better than one of those kits so certainly you can gain far better temps with a good water cooling system.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by apopilot View Post
I was curious to know what the safe Temperature ranges are for a E6600 overclocked. i am currently at 44C at 3.6ghz (1.38V). When I run ORTHOS at load it hits 70C. Is this safe?
mine is at 35c idle at 3.0ghz

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ropey
View Post

What are your load temps at. Full load with TAT?

it shows 75c on tat and 62 on speedfan

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
View Post

The Thermal Specification for C2D is 60C. You are going to then want to keep that preferably Under 55c at full load.

You may wish too look into a better Cooling solution and thermal compound or Drop your overclock.

That is an incorrect view of Thermal Specification being the Digital Thermal Core Reading. Look at the logic ENTERPRISE. If the Tjunction is set at 85C Maximal and the t-junction is centered in the middle of the IHS, how can you say that the core, which is centered in the middle of each core has to be 25C cooler at max than the t-junction at max?.

That is completely illogical.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...x?sSpec=SL9S8#

Note the difference between 'thermal design power' and 'thermal specification':

Thermal Design Power (65w): (Also referred to as Thermal Guideline) The maximum amount of heat which a thermal solution must be able to dissipate from the processor so that the processor will operate under normal operating conditions.

Thermal Specification (60.1c): The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader.

Thus this is not the Core temp but clearly the Case temp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtremeSystems

Also there is a misperception of Core 2 temps. TAT/CoreTemp uses the internal sensor on the hottest spot. But thats not the same as the 60-61C max casetemp(surface temp).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=125378

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by splat00n
View Post

it shows 75c on tat and 62 on speedfan

Holy crap. Do you have a hardware temp probe?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts