Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply and have stripped it of it's sleeving so I could do my own.

When I stripped the heatshrink I noticed this;

Does anyone know what these are and if I need them connected to the wire or can I remove them? Might be a stupid question and sorry if it is, I did some searches and came up with nothing so if anyone has any insight on the matter feel free!

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
They're additional filter capacitors attached to major power wires to reduce ripple and EMI. Removing them will hurt the PSU's performance, though it's hard to say to what extent.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I mean there are some high end 1200W power supplies without these right? I mean they shouldn't make that big of a deal considering other manufacturer don't even use them and they perform fine?

I'll try and contact OCZ before I cut anything.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just because they aren't on the business end of the cable on other supplies does not mean they may not be there. They could be in place inside the PSU housing itself. Personally I would not cut them out.
But that's just me

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
it might have been an after thought on their part, they might have had the PSU together and designed, and then they realized they needed to add those in order to meet specs.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I can try and bend them behind all of the sleeving so they aren't noticeable, so disappointed!

No big deal I guess, I also wanted to ask you guys the eight pin CPU power cable, does the orientation of the cables matter? As far as WHICH cable goes where? It has a row of yellow wires and a row of black, the way they are connected feels a little tangled.

The wiring makes little sense to me, on the black row the two outer most cables are connected to one end, and the two inner most cables are connected to another end. For whatever reason my eight pin can be broken into two, four pins.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrodox;14151087
Well I mean there are some high end 1200W power supplies without these right? I mean they shouldn't make that big of a deal considering other manufacturer don't even use them and they perform fine?

I'll try and contact OCZ before I cut anything.
It really depends on the design of the unit, it could hurt the performance alot of a little.

Pretty certain it will void your warranty aswell if you try to remove them.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
They wouldn't put them on if they weren't useful. Capacitors aren't free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts