Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just looked at my peak temp... 71 celcius on my 2600k... not exactly a pleasant temperature to be dealing with (and that's not using a CPU stress program, that's just after 5 hours of keeping HWMonitor on). I haven't overclocked either.

I meant to buy the 2600k since it has a better cooler than the 2500k, and simply stick with the 2600k at stock (rather than getting a 2500k with an aftermarket cooler and overclock a lesser chip).

So I'm calculating my options... thinking of an h70... don't really know though.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
I'd like to know also. I'll be monitoring this thread. Is anyone out there cooling a 2600K with a Hyper 212+? I'll be upgrading soon and I'd like to know some preliminary temperature readings.

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
If you're looking for something to keep it cool for 4.6GHz-4.8Ghz 24/OC, I'd say a Noctua NH-D14.

I have temps of around 25-35ºC iddle and about 60-64ºC load while @ 4.6Ghz, and close to 68ºC while at 4.8Ghz.

That is with 100% stressing programs such as prime 95 or [email protected]
smile.gif

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
Damn, the NH-D14 seems like a really good option for me. Now I just need to earn $85 bucks somehow. That thing is expensive. It looks like you can run 5.0GHz for daily use. Taken into account. Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, the Noctua D-14 is awesome.

I have a 2500K and I run 4.5GHz on 1.3V with 60c max temp after ~7 hours prime95.

It's really good cooling, althought its quite big, you can't have any memory that is too big (coolers on)

·
Registered
435 Posts
One of the main reasons I went with an i7 2600 was the power efficiency over the i7 950. I've never been a fan of the super gignatic cpu coolers and have had excellent results with a Noctua NH-U9B SE2. My i7 2600 idles in the mid to upper twenties and mid thirties under moderate load. I don't overclock or run prime. I've also used the Corsair H50 with excellent results but couldn't get past the thought of it failing ang killing my Rig !

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Sub'd I would like to see whats working best

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
My 2600K is currently at 4.6GHz with 1.32vcore and under full load (folding -smp) for 30+ hours, temps are in the high 40s to low 50s.
Using a EK Supreme HF with a 360 and 240 rad in the loop (overkill, but plan on adding some gpu blocks in the future). Water is the way... ...you can pick up one of those rasa kits cheap and they perform very well from what I have seen.

You really need to have people at least post their vcore to get any kind of understanding of the cooling system. Other factors play in (fans, ambient, case, airflow, etc.), but at least you can get a little idea if they post their voltages.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm using aquacomputer cpu and gpu blocks on water atm, anything over 1.4 vcore is gonna need to be on water imo.

Running vcore on 1.5 atm @5 Ghz and small fft p95 takes it to 85C after some further tuning, but im located in malaysia and its summer all the time here

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I keep reading "SB" as "South Bridge" Rather than "Sandy Bridge"

People need to start using a different abbreviation, lol.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Go with the Noctua. The only reason I'm on water is because it was left over from my 1090t rig. I am seriously considering switching to air though.

Air:
Good - Reliable, doesn't attract algae, no rads with jet-engines pulling air and throwing it at your face.

Cons - Bad temps with crappy coolers, but with the good coolers you'd get fine temps.

Water
Good - Awesome temps, looks good, bragging, that's basically it.

Cons -
Quote:

Not Reliable, doesn't does attract algae,no rads with jet-engines pulling air and throwing it at your face.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hi.

I have a new SB platform ~ 2600K ~ that is cooled with a Noctua NH-D14.

Currently @ 4.3 (1.33V)
Ambient ~ 26C
Idle ~ 34C (with a 2-3C spread across the cores)
Load ~ 61C (after 1 hour of Prime95)

This platform is still in the tweaking stage, but so far I am satisfied.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Hi.

I have a new SB platform ~ 2600K ~ that is cooled with a Noctua NH-D14.

Currently @ 4.3 (1.33V)
Ambient ~ 26C
Idle ~ 34C (with a 2-3C spread across the cores)
Load ~ 61C (after 1 hour of Prime95)

This platform is still in the tweaking stage, but so far I am satisfied.

Exactly, my Rasa will pull 56c on the hottest core with this, that's a very miniscule difference. With these chips getting cooler and cooler, the need for an insane cooling capacity will go down.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snelan
View Post

Exactly, my Rasa will pull 56c on the hottest core with this, that's a very miniscule difference. With these chips getting cooler and cooler, the need for an insane cooling capacity will go down.

Yeah, that one is kinda important for me.

I live in California and I don't have proper air-conditioning. At the height of Summer the ambient temp in my house goes into the high 30's; it's sweltering.

I will be keeping my sig's cooling gear and may put the 2600K and the GPU(s) under them when Summer hits, but for now air is more than sufficient.

117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulWog
View Post

I just looked at my peak temp... 71 celcius on my 2600k... not exactly a pleasant temperature to be dealing with (and that's not using a CPU stress program, that's just after 5 hours of keeping HWMonitor on). I haven't overclocked either.

I meant to buy the 2600k since it has a better cooler than the 2500k, and simply stick with the 2600k at stock (rather than getting a 2500k with an aftermarket cooler and overclock a lesser chip).

So I'm calculating my options... thinking of an h70... don't really know though.

Corsair Hydro H70 all the way for me, though I am using a 2500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...181013&Tpk=h70

But getting great results, just under 5.1 GHz 24x7

·
Registered
158 Posts
Our ambient temp is almost always around 21-23C and I run my case fans on low. The new Zalman cnps9900 max seems to do an adequate job.

I'm curious which apps you guys are using to measure cpu/core temp with. Speedfan is always reading about 12C lower than Core Temp.
Screenshot's running Prime 95, all cores at 100%, 4.3ghz @ whatever the auto voltage is.
Core Temp (which is the higher of the 2 apps never gets higher than 52-53C and usually fluctuates between 49-52 at 100%. I can leave it running Prime95 all day and it never climbs any higher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts