Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a world of Conquests/Dominations/Territories, Deathmatches/Team Deathmatches, Rushes, and persistent open world survival, it is no secret that most popular PvP shooters today reuse the same game modes repeatedly, and most of these game modes are extremely repetitive in their design and, in my opinion, overly simplistic. So I felt like making a thread about stand out PvP shooter game modes. I'll start. My list is in order from least favorite to most favorite, although these are the only PvP shooter game modes I've ever really liked.

Battlefield 2142 - Titan
BF2142's Titan is the only thing that really interested me about Battlefield. It is my least favorite mode here, but it is more respectable than most others. I will let the official tutorial video do the talking.

DICE made a similar mode in a BF4 DLC called Carrier Assault, but that's way too much of a console game to interest me (forced rent-a-server crap and dictated MP model, no modding, its community is/was too idiotic).
Unreal Tournament 2004 - Assault
Only present in UT99 and UT2004, Assault is an objective based and, to some extent, a story driven game mode where every map (11 by default, but this game has been modded to infinity) has its own unique story, intro cutscene, and objectives, all of which are explained by the intro cutscene for each map. Furthermore, most maps have unique gameplay elements, some of them extending to vehicles (one Assault map has space battles). So right away it is unique, and despite having to create unique objectives and story for each unique map, Epic Games included as many Assault Maps as most modern PvP shooters have total maps at release.
rolleyes.gif

One team is the attacking team, the other is defending. The goal is always for the attacker to complete the unique objectives in linear sequence until they reach the defending team's HQ, which needs to be destroyed. Thus, teamwork is essential here as is paying attention to the intro cutscene on each map since again, the objectives are always different.

Since this is a fully customizable game, you can set the number of rounds per map, and each round you switch sides from attacking to defending and vice versa. Now some videos. The person who uploaded the first video below has an entire playlist dedicated to UT2004 Assault videos, quality stuff.
Unreal Tournament 2004 - Onslaught
A more advanced, strategic alternative to Battlefield's Conquest, Onslaught is a large scale team-based mode with vehicle gameplay (and all sorts of vehicles at that). This mode is only in UT2004, and by default there are 13 Onslaught maps, but the community has made at least hundreds more. Here is an official description:
Quote:
"Onslaught is a large scale, team and vehicle based game mode in which players battle for control of huge exterior settings. Since these settings are so large one naturally needs a way to traverse these distances, hence there are a variety of vehicles that can be used in Onslaught. These vehicles are built to not only move but also destroy your foes.

Each team has their own vehicles and you cannot steal your foes vehicles unless they unlock them by first getting into them. If your enemy jumps into a tank and then leaps out to pick up ammo you can then hijack it and turn the tables on him!

The main objective in any Onslaught game is to destroy your enemies' "Power Core." This critical point is usually located in the heart of your opponent's base. Sounds simple, right? Here's the catch - a Power Core cannot be damaged unless your team has a link to it. How do you acquire a link? By controlling the smaller "Power Nodes" on the map and making a connection from your own Power Core to your opponents. Power Nodes begin as neutral points in the level and once they're touched they begin to build for your team. At this point the opposing team can attack and try to destroy the Node as it is being constructed. If they manage to destroy it it will go neutral again and can be re-claimed by either team. If they fail to destroy it the Node will be built for your own team and a link will be made to your own Power Core.

The next step in an Onslaught map involves proceeding to the next Node. Since the enemies Power Core can only be damaged if there is a link to your own Core you'll have to take over a number of Nodes in order to make this connection. It is extremely important to note that you can ONLY take over a Node if you control an adjacent Node. You must progress across the map, taking over point by point, in order to stage an assault on your enemies' Core. Since death comes quick in the Tournament it is also good to know that once your team controls a Node you can then choose to respawn at it. This allows a team to have an advancing presence on any given map."
Not totally unlike Conquest and all its derivatives, except the goal isn't to just hold specific areas to gain magical points, it is to destroy the HQ, and the areas you capture have meaning as they are vital to completing the objective and winning the game.
Natural Selection 2
This doesn't even have a name as far as I know. This game is born from a Half-Life mod called Natural Selection. I rank this above all other 2010s PvP shooters easily. Again, I'll let the videos do most of the talking.

The tutorials are a bit out of date, since Natural Selection 2 has received more content and improvements as free updates than modern AAA multiplayer shooters receive with sequels. It supports up to 16 vs 16 without modding, more with mods.
Crysis/Crysis Wars - Power Struggle
My all time favorite, although it is closely contested between this and Natural Selection 2. This is most similar to UT2004's Onslaught, so it has some vague similarities to Conquest as well namely in map size and vehicle emphasis. But like UT2004's Onslaught it revolves around destroying the enemy's HQ after completing objectives that allow you to do so. Those objectives being to build weapons of mass destruction to use them on the enemy HQ, that is the only way to destroy them. But building weapons of mass destruction requires holding the prototype factory and at least one alien energy site (out of several) to accumulate energy.

Other points of interest on the maps that can be captured and held include spawn bunkers, vehicle factories for building cars and light armored vehicles, war factories for building heavy armored vehicles, aviation factories for building aircraft, naval factories for building boats and hovercrafts. They must be using some pretty crazy 3D printing technology, but it is a futuristic game after all so I'm okay with it.

What the tutorial videos don't tell you is, if you don't set a time limit or kill limit (my preference), a match can last for hours upon hours depending on how balanced the teams are.

This game is extremely moddable as well so you are not limited to the default 10 Power Struggle maps. Map size varies a lot unlike Onslaught and Conquest; the game is limited to 32 players per server without modding (most servers now will be more), but some (not most) of the Power Struggle maps are best suited to 16. The Gamespy shutdown forces this game to require a workaround.

I have a bias towards more tactical and/or strategic objective based game modes. So these are my favorites, with the last two being my absolute favorites. How about yours? Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005) is another worthy mention but I barely played that game so I don't know it as well as I'd like.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I like Rush game type alot it is repetitive but at least the fight is centralized around a single goal. Also nice rig that is pretty close to what I am building now but I am stupid and bought an 1800x.
thumb.gif

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth420 View Post

I like Rush game type alot it is repetitive but at least the fight is centralized around a single goal. Also nice rig that is pretty close to what I am building now but I am stupid and bought an 1800x.
thumb.gif
Interesting, you also have an i7 6700k listed in your sig rig. That was my previous CPU as well.

Fun fact: Ryzen gets wrecked in just about all of the games I listed in the OP by the 6700k (as in around 30% worse performance at 1440p), at least with a NVIDIA GPU (might not be the case with AMD). The one possible exception is BF2142 which I haven't played on the 1700X yet.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Interesting, you also have an i7 6700k listed in your sig rig. That was my previous CPU as well.

Fun fact: Ryzen gets wrecked in just about all of the games I listed in the OP by the 6700k (as in around 30% worse performance at 1440p), at least with a NVIDIA GPU (might not be the case with AMD). The one possible exception is BF2142 which I haven't played on the 1700X yet.
That whole sig rig is being torn down and parted out. I haven't gotten around to listing the new one and will probably wait until it is finished.
How much was the performance difference between the two chips? If it is a few FPS I don't mind I prefer having the extra cores for other tasks.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth420 View Post

That whole sig rig is being torn down and parted out. I haven't gotten around to listing the new one and will probably wait until it is finished.
How much was the performance difference between the two chips? If it is a few FPS I don't mind I prefer having the extra cores for other tasks.
It was right around 30% compared to only a 4.4 GHz i7 6700k, sometimes a tad more, in Crysis, and very similar in the Source and Unreal Engine 3 games I tested (Half-Life 2 and XCOM 2 respectively). Also about the same in UT2004. So it's actually a lot. Like you, I can use the cores/threads for other tasks (video editing, and I compress/decompress large files fairly often so it comes in handy there too), but the tradeoff isn't worth it for me.

I'll be swapping it out for an i7 8700k (since 4 cores/8 threads just isn't sufficient for me either). That will have an even bigger performance lead in these games since I plan to have it delidded and then overclocked as much as possible under water (5 GHz hopefully).

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
Planetside 2 kind of ruined me from PvP game "modes" or rounds. Like the persistent battlefield. Wish there were more FPS games like it.

Don't play much MP anymore other than ARMA3. Tried my best to get into RO2:Vietnam but ...just... couldn't. Plus, ARMA just has a strong hold on me and probably going to migrate over to Digital Combat Simulator and IL2 pretty soon.

@BG - of course your list would be a great example of things I have liked in the past. Just can't think of many modern equivalents to good ol' BF 2142 and UT days of gaming.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasonic View Post

Planetside 2 kind of ruined me from PvP game "modes" or rounds. Like the persistent battlefield. Wish there were more FPS games like it.

Don't play much MP anymore other than ARMA3. Tried my best to get into RO2:Vietnam but ...just... couldn't. Plus, ARMA just has a strong hold on me and probably going to migrate over to Digital Combat Simulator and IL2 pretty soon.

@BG - of course your list would be a great example of things I have liked in the past. Just can't think of many modern equivalents to good ol' BF 2142 and UT days of gaming.
Arma is much more to my taste as well actually (so is co-op over PvP in general). It's very different as you know which is why I didn't mention it, and co-op shooters have improved over time unlike PvP which has mostly gone downhill. Like you said there is literally nothing like UT2004 or even BF2142 anymore. BF2142 at least has something vaguely similar in BF4 Carrier Assault, but that's like a gimped and dictated console variant and a totally different setting. Arena shooters are basically dead, and while there is a new Quake on the way, Unreal is dead. UT4 just seems like UT3 with better graphics so far.

In Arma I mostly play co-op or single player on custom scenarios (sometimes my own), I've never had a good PvP experience in Arma since it's really not the focus nor is the engine even sufficient for such gameplay. For it to be a good PvP experience you need to join a mil-sim community. Something like this.

I ain't got the time for that but I would like to try it some day.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I really really enjoyed Arma 2 Mod: DayZ Origins. With base building and PvP events specific to the servers. Base raiding was so much fun and the addition of hordes of zombies being drawn to your fire was always great. Not every server had all of the functions I liked but when you got a good server, it was gaming heaven.

Mostly a dead game now. Really upsetting, those were my best gaming days. Met some awesome people too.

• Rep+
Reactions: boredgunner

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
Quote:

Arma is much more to my taste as well actually (so is co-op over PvP in general). It's very different as you know which is why I didn't mention it, and co-op shooters have improved over time unlike PvP which has mostly gone downhill. Like you said there is literally nothing like UT2004 or even BF2142 anymore. BF2142 at least has something vaguely similar in BF4 Carrier Assault, but that's like a gimped and dictated console variant and a totally different setting. Arena shooters are basically dead, and while there is a new Quake on the way, Unreal is dead. UT4 just seems like UT3 with better graphics so far.

In Arma I mostly play co-op or single player on custom scenarios (sometimes my own), I've never had a good PvP experience in Arma since it's really not the focus nor is the engine even sufficient for such gameplay. For it to be a good PvP experience you need to join a mil-sim community. Something like this.

I ain't got the time for that but I would like to try it some day.
Oh yeah. I'd like to meet these guys who get together for serious teamwork and more complex missions. I mostly play ARMA3 alone or with a friend in coop. Actually jumped into it just to fly around in the Wipeout but ended up playing some dynamic recon missions and workshop stuff. Also tried out a mod called Exile. It's similar to DayZ with some survival elements and basebuilding.

Yup. Don't play much twitch shooters anymore. Unless KF2 counts and I'm not sure it does. My CS and DoD days are long over. Same said for Team Fortress or UT or Quake etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxborough View Post

I really really enjoyed Arma 2 Mod: DayZ Origins. With base building and PvP events specific to the servers. Base raiding was so much fun and the addition of hordes of zombies being drawn to your fire was always great. Not every server had all of the functions I liked but when you got a good server, it was gaming heaven.

Mostly a dead game now. Really upsetting, those were my best gaming days. Met some awesome people too.
Ah yes. Now that was a great mod. Played a lot of DayZ (mod) with my friend that I play ARMA with. That was a fun and intense experience. Though Exile mod for ARMA3 is similar.

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
BF2142 was superb and definitely deserves a remake, the Titan gamemode was my 'go to' FPS for months.
With the last DLC in BF4 hinting at hover tanks and the Titan, I had hoped we would see some 2142 action again but sadly not (yet).

Generally though, Conquest is my preferred PVP FPS gamemode. BF1 offers some superb large scale combat.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Quote:

Oh yeah. I'd like to meet these guys who get together for serious teamwork and more complex missions. I mostly play ARMA3 alone or with a friend in coop. Actually jumped into it just to fly around in the Wipeout but ended up playing some dynamic recon missions and workshop stuff. Also tried out a mod called Exile. It's similar to DayZ with some survival elements and basebuilding.

Yup. Don't play much twitch shooters anymore. Unless KF2 counts and I'm not sure it does. My CS and DoD days are long over. Same said for Team Fortress or UT or Quake etc...
Ah yes. Now that was a great mod. Played a lot of DayZ (mod) with my friend that I play ARMA with. That was a fun and intense experience. Though Exile mod for ARMA3 is similar.[/quote]

I have tried it, but it just isn't the same. I've tried multiple games to recreate the experience but nothing has come close yet.
frown.gif

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I forgot to mention that it doesn't have any zombies or any theme of "dread". Just a survival shooter with dynamic AI events/missions. Not the same but similar. Plus, it's free and that's cool.

Man. 2142 was pretty controversial at the time too what with it's use of IN GAME ADS. Yup. PC Gamers had a pretty large poop about that. Oh and as much as I had fun playing TITAN mode, it was buggy up the wahzoo for the first few months. Then it was difficult to get into a game or last a full round without getting disconnected. Don't get me wrong. When it was a good round with no technical issues, it was awesome. I logged in a metric eff ton of time in the game and loved it but there wasn't always pretty pink flowers but... damn... at the time this was an epic experience.

Good times.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Man. 2142 was pretty controversial at the time too what with it's use of IN GAME ADS. Yup. PC Gamers had a pretty large poop about that. Oh and as much as I had fun playing TITAN mode, it was buggy up the wahzoo for the first few months. Then it was difficult to get into a game or last a full round without getting disconnected. Don't get me wrong. When it was a good round with no technical issues, it was awesome. I logged in a metric eff ton of time in the game and loved it but there wasn't always pretty pink flowers but... damn... at the time this was an epic experience.

Good times.
Some of those technical issues are still unfixed.
tongue.gif

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
Quote:

Some of those technical issues are still unfixed.
tongue.gif
I'd imagine getting into a good TITAN server would be rather difficult right now.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

One of my favorite 'game modes' is objective based rounds. It all started (for me) with the first Unreal Tournament and it's Assault mode. Having objectives that weren't mirrored from team to team. Stuff like that. Conquest and King-of-the-Hill types modes are also ones I enjoy.

·
Premium Member
12,224 Posts
MAG, 256 player Domination mode, and for the reasons I'll do quick simplified quote from a previous discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDash View Post

Also I want to expand on MAG a little more even. You linked a simplistic video of BF2142, and I will do the same for MAG but fill in a little more details:

Beyond what the video shows you, you have tons of key factors that were important:

Roadblocks being up and repaired was important because APC's were spawn locations. One team with an APC making it through could start a chain reaction that made absolutely everything start to crumble. They could drive to the center of the map and shut down tons of important things. There were AA batteries which prevented air strikes. Mortar Batteries, Vehicle Spawning hubs, doors, gates, more roadblocks, spawning bunkers, and this is on 4 sides of the map. If you took down a AA battery, then all of a sudden people could parachute in BEYOND the first lines of defense including bunkers that spawned players. Or instead of working your way back to the bunkers you could work your way forward, or to other sides of the map. You could also take down bunkers and APC's to prevent spawns at those locations, or repair them to help your team have strong spawns.

Each team leader had special abilities, things like running speed boosts, tactical refreshes (allowing for giving lower level leaders the ability to use their own abilities quicker or again), air strikes on prime locations, etc etc. Each level of team member could talk to the entire team that was ranked below them, and not only that proxy chat was in the game so you could work together with people outside of your squad as long as you were in close proximity.

Also the way you equipped your character affected armor and run speed.

I could go on and on, but the game had so much great stuff in it, I doubt the world will ever get a better team fps. I've thought about making a video on its brilliance but with the severs being down it would be hard.
Second choice would be Warhawk's Capture the Flag with all the DLC, also a PS3 game. Was just really fun simple and easy game to get into.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see elements of Unreal Tournament's Assault mode and a few elements from Power Struggle mode in Crysis in MAG. I never played it myself but one of my brothers did, and he said it had less issues with network lag than other PS3 games which is funny.

Speaking of really large scale shooters, I want to play Arma 3's Liberation 1944 mod with enough units (mix of AI and actual players, players can control any AI) to make for a realistic D-Day invasion scenario. It is already set up for maximum realism, just needs to be filled with people (German defense, American infantry, American paratroopers, and all the appropriate vehicles).

Imagine how crazy that would be. The thing preventing it is the game's terrible engine; such a scenario would run at maybe 5 FPS? Since it even chokes on this:

That was captured with my current PC.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
I generally prefer something viciously fast-paced. I play some modded UT99 servers on a regular basis that get me my fix of high speed carnage, those being a Combogib server (Shock Rifles with their damage massively increased), RocketX (Primary fire shoots an extremely fast homing nuke, alt fire lets the player ride a nearly as fast nuclear warhead and machinegun equipped jet), and Siege (You have a base core, they have a base core, defend yours, kill theirs, build your base to make this easier, all map item spawns disabled).

Really old Siege video:
Combogib:
RocketX (Headphone warning):

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ lol, that is some insanity. I haven't played anything like any of those since heavily modded Crysis Wars servers, no less than 6 years ago. You simply cannot get experiences like that in modern games.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts