Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been listening to Shoutcast radio via Winamp.

There are mainly 2 different codecs.

AAC+ / MP3.

MP3 I only lsitent o 128 bitrate
AAC+ has 16 to up to like 80 on some.

There is only 248MP3 and a few 192MP3.

I have onboard sound + X-530's (coming)..

Which is the best to listen to?
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Well the >192mp3 is going to be the best. But the low bitrate AAC is definitely better than low bitrate mp3. HE-AAC can go as low as 64kbps and still sound kinda decent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

Well the >192mp3 is going to be the best. But the low bitrate AAC is definitely better than low bitrate mp3. HE-AAC can go as low as 64kbps and still sound kinda decent.

Wait so should I listen to the like 16bit AAC+?
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
What is the bitrate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

What is the bitrate?

16

Or like 24bit or 64? or even 80..

Don't you have shoutcast?

I would tell you what sounds better but I am on my rite-aid and it all sounds the same.. I can't wait for my X-530s!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,300 Posts
wow, those are really really bad sound qualities!

I listen to FLAC music which has 1000+ bitrates usually :]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by TrAncE XD
View Post

wow, those are really really bad sound qualities!

I listen to FLAC music which has 1000+ bitrates usually :]

Where can I get some of that?
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MGX1016
View Post

16

Or like 24bit or 64? or even 80..

Don't you have shoutcast?

I would tell you what sounds better but I am on my rite-aid and it all sounds the same.. I can't wait for my X-530s!!

Almost all music that you listen to is in 16bit. That is the resolution, not the bitrate. For example, a standard mp3 that someone (shame on them
) would download off of kazaa would be a 16bit 128kbps mp3 file. The bitrate is 128kb and the resolution is 16bit. Don't ask me what that means though because I have absolutely no clue how to explain it


So when I say that HE-AAC sounds good all the way down to 64kb/s (whereas mp3... you never want to hear them below 128kb/s) but the resolution is still at 16bit.
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MGX1016
View Post

Where can I get some of that?

Ripped directly off of a CD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

Almost all music that you listen to is in 16bit. That is the resolution, not the bitrate. For example, a standard mp3 that someone (shame on them
) would download off of kazaa would be a 16bit 128kbps mp3 file. The bitrate is 128kb and the resolution is 16bit. Don't ask me what that means though because I have absolutely no clue how to explain it


So when I say that HE-AAC sounds good all the way down to 64kb/s (whereas mp3... you never want to hear them below 128kb/s) but the resolution is still at 16bit.

It's shame on the RIAA. Most people that download illegally just hate the RIAA and rather pay artists money for good instead of RIAA keep them wallets fat..

BUT besides that..

Where can I get some good quality music? Itunes?
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
iTunes is only like 128kbps low complexity AAC. Which is okay, but not great (hell, I use it just because my ipod is already completely filled but that's not relevant right now). For high bitrate/lossless audio, you are going to need to get the original CD. I don't know of any legal way to obtain lossless music from the internet. Torrents are the only place they exist as far as I know.

So it looks like buying the CD is your best bet. Bookmans ftw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

iTunes is only like 128kbps low complexity AAC. Which is okay, but not great (hell, I use it just because my ipod is already completely filled but that's not relevant right now). For high bitrate/lossless audio, you are going to need to get the original CD. I don't know of any legal way to obtain lossless music from the internet. Torrents are the only place they exist as far as I know.

So it looks like buying the CD is your best bet. Bookmans ftw

I am not / will not buy a CD until the RIAA is gone. I don't want to pay 10$ for 2 good songs.. RIAA pressures artists to make 13 songs or so and only 2-3 are actually half decent..

There are legal cheap sites..

What about something like Napstar (monthly price for unlimited songs)..
 

·
Taking it Easy
Joined
·
4,114 Posts
Napster is a great value. I don't know much about their format, but it has to be acceptable sound quality. It definitely won't be as awesome as lossless but most people cannot tell the difference. Even though I can tell the difference, I don't mind compressed mp3/AAC audio at all. It just doesn't bother me.

So if you want a bunch of cheap music legally.... Napster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

Napster is a great value. I don't know much about their format, but it has to be acceptable sound quality. It definitely won't be as awesome as lossless but most people cannot tell the difference. Even though I can tell the difference, I don't mind compressed mp3/AAC audio at all. It just doesn't bother me.

So if you want a bunch of cheap music legally.... Napster

I know Napster is like DRM'd but is removing that DRM illegal?
Does it make quality lower?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
the higher the better. if you can find lossless that's even better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,847 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TrAncE XD
View Post

wow, those are really really bad sound qualities!

I listen to FLAC music which has 1000+ bitrates usually :]

Same, FLAC is awesome but I have 6 albums in my My Music folder and they all come up to 1.87GB.. lol.

Excellent quality though
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top