Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
OOF
Joined
·
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking into buying a new digital camera for myself. I don't need a DSLR, as I'm not a hardcore photographer. I want to take some portraits of friends, record some videos of things (such as concerts, trips, etc), etc.

I have a budget of $300 that I can spend. That is Canadian dollars. All the DSLR's I've seen in Canada are over $500, AFAIK.

I was looking at the SD780 IS or the SD1200 IS from Canon, but if anybody else has any other recommendations, then feel free to add in!

EDIT: What do you guys think about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sho.../dp/B001OI2LV8

I'm willing to spend a bit more for this after from what I've seen. The pictures look great, almost like DSLR quality. It starts to get noisy at ISO 800, but it looks great.

EDIT #2: Future Shop is having a sale on the Nikon D3000 for $449.99 on Boxing Day. Should I grab that instead, or the H20?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,500 Posts
sd780is is good. its fairly cheap. give or take $200 USD. i have the sd780is. i was considering the sd1200is but the body is really cheaply made. its plastic.

any of the canon's are pretty good. sd or sdhc is cheap too ! so thats a plus !

the sony w230? is good too. but more on the expensive side for p&s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I to have been looking for a good Quality Camera, and have been searching for days now, you might want to check these two out, I'm still torn between the two my self. As one does 720p HD Mov and you can use the Zoom while in movie mode, while other does not do HD of any kind and when in movie mode you can't use zoom and the movies are AVI (Motion JPEG) One has Rechargeable batteries while other uses 4 x AA batteries.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830120380

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830122218

SGTThor
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
HD video (or any video really) on point and shoot models is sort of a moot point, really. Quality isn't really that high (not bad, but not great).

Of the two you posted, I would take the Fuji in a heartbeat. They make great P&S models, and this one is no exception. And as far as not being able to zoom while in movie mode: this one will have the advantage over the Canon in that there's no zoom motor at all! You zoom by twisting the lens (just like an SLR). The lack of motor also means the camera won't suffer from ED later on (yup, it means what you think it means). Also it's got a larger sensor than the Canon, so it should have better high ISO performance. While the zoom range isn't as large, that will be an advantage in that lens distortion should be reduced (Fuji traditionally does a good job controlling this). Also, RAW file capability is great if you want more control.

Only thing is that if you're already paying that much and carrying a camera that big, you might as well go whole hog for the DSLR, as the difference in price and size isn't that much and you gain a ton more flexibility. Although I must say, that Fuji does have an awful lot of features for the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Thank you for replying to my post here, I was trying give a suggestion to the op on Cameras to look at.

And I did not know that cannon did not have a motor, I must have missed it.
But I did post my own thread on these two cameras. So as not to take over the OP's thread

Again Thank you.
SGTThor

Quote:


Originally Posted by laboitenoire
View Post

HD video (or any video really) on point and shoot models is sort of a moot point, really. Quality isn't really that high (not bad, but not great).

Of the two you posted, I would take the Fuji in a heartbeat. They make great P&S models, and this one is no exception. And as far as not being able to zoom while in movie mode: this one will have the advantage over the Canon in that there's no zoom motor at all! You zoom by twisting the lens (just like an SLR). The lack of motor also means the camera won't suffer from ED later on (yup, it means what you think it means). Also it's got a larger sensor than the Canon, so it should have better high ISO performance. While the zoom range isn't as large, that will be an advantage in that lens distortion should be reduced (Fuji traditionally does a good job controlling this). Also, RAW file capability is great if you want more control.

Only thing is that if you're already paying that much and carrying a camera that big, you might as well go whole hog for the DSLR, as the difference in price and size isn't that much and you gain a ton more flexibility. Although I must say, that Fuji does have an awful lot of features for the price.

 

·
OOF
Joined
·
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by SGTThor
View Post

Thank you for replying to my post here, I was trying give a suggestion to the op on Cameras to look at.

And I did not know that cannon did not have a motor, I must have missed it.
But I did post my own thread on these two cameras. So as not to take over the OP's thread

Again Thank you.
SGTThor

I appreciate the help man.

First of all, let me tell you that I absolutely hate cameras that use some sort of disposable battery. I would rather have one pack that is rechargable and convenient.


What about the DSC-H20 I listed above compared to the SX 20 IS? Like I said, I don't need DSLR quality. It'd be nice to have if I can spend approximately $300 on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
It'd probably be alright. I'd personally take one of the Fuji's that Marin recommended earlier, as the sensors in them are top-notch for portables (the F200 EXR uses the same sensor as the large Fuji that SGTThor posted). The F70 EXR still gives you a 10x zoom over a great focal range, and the picture quality is great for a camera of its size. If you'd prefer a larger camera, the Canon SX120 or the Nikon L100 are probably what I would go for. Both are very popular mega-zoom models.
 

·
OOF
Joined
·
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:



Originally Posted by laboitenoire
View Post

It'd probably be alright. I'd personally take one of the Fuji's that Marin recommended earlier, as the sensors in them are top-notch for portables (the F200 EXR uses the same sensor as the large Fuji that SGTThor posted). The F70 EXR still gives you a 10x zoom over a great focal range, and the picture quality is great for a camera of its size. If you'd prefer a larger camera, the Canon SX120 or the Nikon L100 are probably what I would go for. Both are very popular mega-zoom models.

Thanks alot for your help.

I know you said earlier the 720p video was not really worth the price in a point-n-shoot camera, but this video was the reason why it caught my eye.




As you can see, it looks pretty good. I like the fact that you can use the optical zoom while recording.

Memory isn't an issue as I have a few 4GB pro duo's I can use.

I'm looking at both the SX 120 and the L100 too, but the thing that throws me off is the disposable batteries. I'll admit and like I said earlier, I would rather have a convenient pack of a lithium-ion battery on me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
You're right, the video quality does seem pretty good for a P&S.

Looking at photos on Flickr, it actually seems to be pretty good overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Just my 2 Cents here, and I am no Expert when it comes to photography, you can say that I'm in the learning stage here. I just watched the video & I must admit that the video quality is for the most part very good, But what I did notice in the very beginning and towards the end of the video. Was that the camera focus was doing a lot of hunting, to get in to and say in focus with the close ups. Was the person shooting that video using Auto Focus, it looks like they were, if not & they were doing it manually then I can understand the reason for hunting to get in focus, I don't know if it is like that at all times or all distances for the auto focus.

I once had a camera that did that with the focus, it was the Minolta Dimage Z2, they are no longer made, and it took great pictures and had outstanding zoom. But when it came to close up shots or just getting a good indoor picture the focus was hunting way to much, I had a heck of time getting pictures, and in low light I got even worse.

SGTThor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
I was checking out the 780 today and staples and honestly i hated it. The Zoom wasnt that great and the IQ wasnt spectacular. But its better then the kodak's i fooled with today. Eww they still suck.

edit: Oh and the Sony cyber shot i never handled but it i have heard good things and it seems good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by SGTThor
View Post

If your still looking to get the Sony Cybershot DSC-H20, Check this site out, compared to Amazon prise wise for a new one, they are much better.

http://www.digitalliquidators.com/vi...px?id=10704437

I have used them before, and they did good by me in the past, even the camera I'm thinking of getting is at a much better price even compared to Newegg, http://www.digitalliquidators.com/vi...px?id=10932072

SGTThor

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...al_Liquidators
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
My jaw Dropped when I read reviews from other shoppers, I am very surprised. Reason Being, I bought a Dimage Z2 from them Brand new when could not find it anywhere. I even called them on the Phone to Verify the item, And I had no problems, The camera came just as stated on the site, and I did not go through what others have. They must have Really Gone down hill since then, but my experience was with them was over 9 years ago.

SGTThor

Quote:
 

·
OOF
Joined
·
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so a quick bump.

I checked out 4 different cameras at my local Future Shop (a Best Buy franchisee) today.

They were the:

FujiFilm F70EXR
Canon PowerShot SX120 IS
Nikon L100
Sony DSC-H20

I liked the feeling of both the L100 and the DSC-H20. They had a pretty good grip in terms of holding it and taking a quick picture.

I felt that the FujiFilm had the better interface compared to the other 3. It looked pretty easy. I originally looked at this when Marin posted the link above (Thanks, homie g.) and thought, "A compact camera for $300? Wat?" But it looks like it's a top contender.

In terms of the flash I like the ones that pop right up. Makes your camera look like a DSLR in a way. The DSC-H20 was a no-brainer here. The other cameras required me to lift up the flash first manually, and did not allow me to take a picture without lifting it up first.

A optical viewfinder is pretty much important too. I can't believe the DSC-H20 or the SX120 IS doesn't come with one, yet the other three choices do. Outrageous.

Now I used to be a Canon junkie too, so I thought the SX 120 IS would be a good choice. Figures out, it kind of looked flimsy and unattractive in a way. Sure it's cheap, but I didn't like the way the buttons were designed compared to Sony's or even Nikon's for that matter.

The most important part here, is the batteries. I prefer a lithium-ion battery compared to AA batteries. The Nikon and Canon are automatically out, Sony and Fujifilm is IN.

Well I think I'll be getting either the DSC-H20 or the F70EXR. I might go for the H20 though. The only problem is that it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, but the features it has totally outweighs its cons.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Optical viewfinders are pointless for P&S's as they aren't accurate, they're extremely small and they're not through the lens.

If it's not through the lens (SLR & TLR) and it's not a rangefinder, then what's the point.
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top