Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is a z97 board on my craigslist for 20 bucks that just says non working, the board looks to be in perfect condition on the front and back no bulging capacitors or anything like that. What is a common occurence for motherboard failure that isnt obvious with a physical examination? For 20 bucks i kinda wanna grab it to see if it was user error (maybe he had a short on the case or something).

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Static electricity, damaged or degraded solder connections, ruined pins (easy on LGA), bad caps/cap failure (not all bad caps bulge), insidious water damage, exposure to rapid changes in humidity (not uncommon in continental climates), PSU input burnout (not always immediately noticeable), etc. For $20, I'd have a go myself. Could have been other faulty components, or it may just need a little bake in the oven.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the solder points look good, pins are all fine. Ya i think for 20 ill give it a go (even if its an hour drive). I have a g3258 and need a z97 board, ebay is a no go ive found they sell for higher than new prices and im not even kidding lol.

BTW the board in question is a asrock extreme 4, pretty good board it seems.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
It's a good one. My SO's 4790k loves it and I don't have any complaints with it. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the guy wouldnt budge from 20 and im kinda glad i waited, i just picked up a msi z97-krait for 60.00 shipped to my door from ebay. It looks brand new and the guy offers free returns and all that, so i got 8 gb of ram, a g3258 and a z97 board for 125 bucks. Just gonna be a backup pc and i wanna test a 8700k vs 3258 in WoW/overwatch and a few other titles, in theory there shouldnt be a ton of difference between the two in WoW which is pretty crazy if you think about it, and if i overclock it high enough it would even beat a ryzen 1800x.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol so i ended up getting that asrock z97 board as he accepted the 10 bucks, its completely dead. Not that i was really expecting it to work, but ive never seen a mobo not have any lights or anything. Replaced cmos battery, cleared cmos, tried both bios (has dual bios) but no dice. If anyone wants it they can have it for shipping costs :)

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
BTW it charges my phone, but its doing the same thing as the people outline in that reddit post.

Very odd, wonder how many extreme 4's asrock sent out like this lol.

Edit, man this thing is so well built how much did it retail for back then? Even tho i got another board coming im gonna make this thing boot once again, somehow :)

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It actually was very reasonably priced for about $110.00.
Just looked it up and tweaktown said it was a "mid 100 dollar priced board" 150 sounds more likely, at 110.00 they wouldnt have made any money lol (i could see pro 4 retailing for 110 tho). I took all the heatsinks off and nothing looks burnt or shorted , anyone got any other ideas to try ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts