Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a reference cooler version of my GTX 670 and now that it's Summer here, my card easily reaches 76 degrees which passes the throttle point.

I'm just wondering what I can do to cool the card?

At the moment I have 2x 120mm fans sitting on top of the card which works, but yeah.

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Use minimum voltage required for stability, increase fan RPM, or simply downclock speeds. Think about it, thats about all thats ever possible sadly..

• Rep+
Reactions: Curleyyy

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm glad I dont have to deal with those Australian summers... Well at least from a cooling my PC point of view
tongue.gif

What's your case fan set up? Do you have a budget limitation ? I know stuff is pretty expensive there.

EDIT: Some ideas before Im off
tongue.gif

If you can, remove the hdd cages and mount drives in the 5.25 bays, or at least try to get one out of there

If you can replace the 200mm fan up front with 2x 120mm. 200mm fans suck with restriction.

If youre stuck with the 200mm the best you can do is mount some 120mm's on the HDD cages in a sort of push pull towards the GPU

Make sure your h100i is in exhaust so its not blowing warm air towards the GPU.

Then set up custom fan profiles, if its still a problem undervolt etc.

If you have the budget custom watercooling is obviously best. However you could also look into using the Kraken G10 bracket and something like a h55 for a lot less then a custom setup they work pretty well to
smile.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hear ya mate , im in Brisbane and in the process of building an sli gtx 970 rig , I ordered a heap of fans and fan controller the other day , I run a corsair h110 for the cpu which runs in exhaust + a rear fan that exhausts and I am adding a heap of intakes in a corsair c70 case which seems to have decent airflow , im hoping with good positioning and a bit of trial and error I will get a good balance . and not have any issues.

im currently away with work but once I get home and throw in the extra bits ill let ya know how it goes

·
Registered
103 Posts
The best, cheapest and most effective option I have found for 35 degree + days is to open the case (both sides if possible) and sit a 30cm room fan right in front of it on full speed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The easiest way to cool your GPU is with an NZXT G10 and AIO water cooler. You could easily drop the temps down below 50C under full load for less than $90. The most common AIO to use is the Corsair H55 which runs about $65 normally, and you should be able to find the G10 bracket for $20-$30.

And yes, it really works well....

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post

I'm glad I dont have to deal with those Australian summers... Well at least from a cooling my PC point of view
tongue.gif

What's your case fan set up? Do you have a budget limitation ? I know stuff is pretty expensive there.

EDIT: Some ideas before Im off
tongue.gif

If you can, remove the hdd cages and mount drives in the 5.25 bays, or at least try to get one out of there

If you can replace the 200mm fan up front with 2x 120mm. 200mm fans suck with restriction.

If youre stuck with the 200mm the best you can do is mount some 120mm's on the HDD cages in a sort of push pull towards the GPU

Make sure your h100i is in exhaust so its not blowing warm air towards the GPU.

Then set up custom fan profiles, if its still a problem undervolt etc.

If you have the budget custom watercooling is obviously best. However you could also look into using the Kraken G10 bracket and something like a h55 for a lot less then a custom setup they work pretty well to
smile.gif
Australian Summers aren't the best, but we gotta make do!

Corsair 650D
120mm x2 for the front
120mm x2 for the top
120mm x1 for the rear
120mm x2 on the inner side of the HDD cage

HDD drives are full > Where can I get a bracket to put them in the 5.25 bay slots?

That was the problem! My H100i was intake, so hot air goes into the case. I flipped it around and temps dropped by 10c which brings me well under the throttle point!!

When I play games I have 100% fan speed > headphones are great for noise cancellation!

Student wages, unfortunately that doesn't allow me to have a custom water cooled setup.

I might check that out, so H55 + Kraken G10 = water cooled GPU, which is great I'd be able to put a 120mm fan on it so the noise drops. Those tiny GPU fans are so loud.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
You don't necessarily need a bracket to mount the drives in the 5.25 bays, if its just a couple you can stick one in the bays and one on the floor of the case, I just leave them in the trays from the HDD cages in mine and secure with Velcro tape. Depending on the case SSD's can often be stuck on the back of the motherboard tray out of the way as well. The cages stop so much air from the front going forwards it makes a big difference to temps all round if you can lose them both or even just do with one.

Good you got it sorted, thats one problem with AIO's either your GPU suffers the heated exhaust or your CPU does, better the CPU if you're gaming. Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts