Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently obtained this http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...w=1440&bih=695 old computer in the house and i was wondering what i could possibly do with it instead of throwing it out. I was thing of transforming it into a firewall, but i completely have no idea on how to accomplish this. I don't want it to become a fileserver, it has like no space lol. Or i could run windows server 08 and run a couple of vms on it. such as http, print, vpn, ect. I'm really not that sure, please give me some ideas

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
You could set it up as a front-end for your network for added security. You could for example install a Linux distro and configure it as a firewall, but the benefits may not be very visible unless your network has already been attacked. Virtualisation could be a pain since that CPU architecture didn't have many hardware accelerated virtual instructions, besides you need ton of RAM when using many virtual machines.
I see it as a file/printer server if you add an USB-mounted HDD for added space, maybe if you mount a 9800GT as a [email protected] rig. If you like older games you could install Win98 and use it as a rig for games from the 90's (HOMM, quake2, etc).

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp
View Post

9800GT

Pretty sure they don't make 9800GT's for AGP, but other than that good advice.

You could always use it as a router or proxy.
VM's would be a little lackluster since you don't have much CPU power or RAM.

You could use it for a game server, provided you have enough upstream bandwidth.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Hi,
just been having a look and had a thought.

What you could do is,if you have a dremmel you could cut out a perfect square section in the top of the case where i shaded red.

Once you have removed that area i think you could fill it with compost/soil and it would make quite a unique planter.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp
View Post

You could set it up as a front-end for your network for added security. You could for example install a Linux distro and configure it as a firewall, but the benefits may not be very visible unless your network has already been attacked. Virtualisation could be a pain since that CPU architecture didn't have many hardware accelerated virtual instructions, besides you need ton of RAM when using many virtual machines.
I see it as a file/printer server if you add an USB-mounted HDD for added space, maybe if you mount a 9800GT as a [email protected] rig. If you like older games you could install Win98 and use it as a rig for games from the 90's (HOMM, quake2, etc).

would it be possible to link a tutorial on now to set it up as a firewall, it seems interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superj1977
View Post

Hi,
just been having a look and had a thought.

What you could do is,if you have a dremmel you could cut out a perfect square section in the top of the case where i shaded red.
snip
Once you have removed that area i think you could fill it with compost/soil and it would make quite a unique planter.

hahaha, yeh i no its a pos

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Uses vary.

- Firewall
- Print server
- Torrent/download box
- Backup server
- PC for the kids/guest/Internet PC.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I brought a 1000gb nic for the PC, atm i just gotta remove all of the junk onto an external hdd, then ill begin to wipe the drive using kill disk. its a 200gb drive so there is a lot of space for logs muahhaa, i cbf'd removing it, since it is such an effort. Instead of smooth wall u guys suggested I've gone with pf-sense. Ill update further as i progress.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok i stuffed up lol. Although i can now connect through my router to the pfsense pc which i asigned to 192.....1.1 and changed my other router to 1.2 turned off dhcp on it and other services. i cant access the internet im on an iphone now although thepfaense is leaseing ips plz help asap. I think its something to do with dns i just cant get it right

Edit: fixed just had too put the right domain name in hahaha, it was on local for some reason, had to change it to optusnet.com.au, now to fix the dd-wrt router, i cant access the web interface anymore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts