41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoo11 View Post

So I used martins spreadsheet, put in the following:
-AC Kryos XT-Thick O-ring (plan on using the cuplex kryos HF, but that wasn't avalible in the file so I used this instead assuming they would be similar, both will be using thick o-rings)
-2 AC Aquagraphix480s (plan on using the 680's)
-2 xspc re360's
-2 90 degree elbows
-8 compression fittings'
ALL IN SERIES
I also plan on using an ek ram block for the corsair dominator, because I might oc my ram at some point and this is an inexpensive block specially made for the ram I would like to use. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14179/ex-blc-968/EK_Corsair_Dominator_Series_X4_Ram_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Electroless_Nickel_Plated_EK-RAM_Dominator_X4_-_EN_Nickel.html?tl=c225s557b133
His estimate seems to tell me I need more pump than the general guidelines in this thread suggest, and more pump than most places suggest. The only single pump that would put me in the "sweet spot" is an Iwaki RD-30 at 24V, which is a monster. There are dual pump options too of course. Do you guys think a build like this would require that much pump?
I think you would be okay with just a single MCP35X. The HF part of 'kryos HF' stands for high flow. It has much less restriction than the XT.

You will still only get about 0.75 GPM, however for these blocks, that is fine. They are designed for low flow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How about this setup? The pump should be able to handle it right?
XSPC X20 750
XSPC Raystorm CPU Block
Ek/XSPC GTX 680 Full Coverage Block
XSPC RS240 and XSPC RS/RX 120/240 Depending on cash.
I basically want to start off with the XSPC Raystorm RS240 kit and then expand from there. The bolded parts will come in due time, getting the kit first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my rig.

http://www.overclock.net/t/584302/ocn-water-cooling-club-and-picture-gallery/27940#post_18218614

I have the mcp35x set to go to 40% max because any higher and I can hear it. Also have about 3m of tubing.

Do you reckon this is ok?
Temps seem fine really apart from the cpu might be a little higher than I thought it would be, but dunno if this is down to mounting issue with the EK block. Tried to mount it twice but temps remained the same. 2 cores on the cpu do get a fair bit hotter than the rest but I think this might be normal for SB?

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusarilliuS View Post

This is my rig.
http://www.overclock.net/t/584302/ocn-water-cooling-club-and-picture-gallery/27940#post_18218614
I have the mcp35x set to go to 40% max because any higher and I can hear it. Also have about 3m of tubing.
Do you reckon this is ok?
Temps seem fine really apart from the cpu might be a little higher than I thought it would be, but dunno if this is down to mounting issue with the EK block. Tried to mount it twice but temps remained the same. 2 cores on the cpu do get a fair bit hotter than the rest but I think this might be normal for SB?
Core variation is normal for Sandy Bridge. As long as temperatures are in check, there's no need to up the pump speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cheers
smile.gif

So the pump maxing at 40% speed is fast enough? and do you think the cpu temps look fine for 4.8ghz with HT enabled with +0.020 offset voltage?
Quote:
Max cpu temp after 10 runs of IBT on maximum(1 hour) + 50 runs IBT highj(20 mins) + 12hrs Prime95 blend + 12 hrs Prime95 small FFT=

core 0=62
core 1=72
core 2=71
core 3=65

Max gpu temps after a few hours of benching with all the 3d marks + haven + some gaming(batman arkham city + skyrim + bf3) =

42 degrees C on each card
When gaming etc the cpu only ever reaches high 50's early 60's. Only ever goes higher when using prime and IBT.
IBT gets it hottest, prime only goes into the 60's

These tests were done with ambient room temp between 20-22 degrees C.

·
Banned
720 Posts
Great explanation. This should be a sticky....

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post

Great explanation. This should be a sticky....
I'll get in touch with Juggalo about that and do it for him if he gives the green light (forgot about doing this last time I posted); the process for adding hotlinks to the essentials sticky isn't very intuitive since it has to be done in raw HTML and he doesn't really like working with that.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I have had an mcp 655 vario since I started water cooling back in 08 and its been doing great so far, however I have a question.
With degration that happens to all things, how can I tell when my pump been all "pumped" out. I've had my pump through various loop con figs the most recent I think is the most vigorous one yet.
Loop atm.
Ek ltx block
Ek x58 classified full cover block
X2 mcr320
X1 mcr240
Xspc d5 dual bay Res.
X2 angled fittings
X2 ek gtx 470 full cover block pump setting to 4.

1. Do I have enough pump for my loop as it is?
This is the extent of my loop its final phase till I change blocks. I will likely just keep radiators.
I am worried about pump lifespans

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ral View Post

I have had an mcp 655 vario since I started water cooling back in 08 and its been doing great so far, however I have a question.
With degration that happens to all things, how can I tell when my pump been all "pumped" out. I've had my pump through various loop con figs the most recent I think is the most vigorous one yet.
Loop atm.
Ek ltx block
Ek x58 classified full cover block
X2 mcr320
X1 mcr240
Xspc d5 dual bay Res.
X2 angled fittings
X2 ek gtx 470 full cover block pump setting to 4.
1. Do I have enough pump for my loop as it is?
This is the extent of my loop its final phase till I change blocks. I will likely just keep radiators.
I am worried about pump lifespans
D5 pumps are known to have a very long lifespan. That should be enough pump power for your loop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all..

I'm a noob in WCing.. I've been using DDC1 for a month now. I'm wondering whether my pump is enough for my loop..

These are my main specs 2600k (OC to 4.5 at 1.35v), Z77 UD5H, Asus 560Ti top. I tried to cool it using WC.
and these are my loop specs
- Processor WB: EK Supremacy full Nickel
- VGA WB: EK supreme HF
- 1st Radiator: Black Ice GTX 280 (cooled with 2 x YateLoon 14sh [Push] and 2 x AP-15 [pull])
- 2nd radiator: EK XTX 360 (cooled with 3 x AP 15 [push] and 3 x AP 15 [Pull]).
- Tube: Masterkleer 3/8 ID, 1/2 OD
- Resevoir: EK 250 adv res.
- i only use 2 45 degrees converter and 2 90 degrees converter fittings in my loop.
- PUMP: Using ONLY 1 Pump.. DDC1 with EK TopV2 plexi. With Enzotech HSF for MCP35x. And some 8cm fan..

this is my loop:
RES - PUMP - Black Ice GTX 280 - Processor - EK| XTX 360 - VGA Supreme HF - RES

My idle temp for CPU is between 29 - 31 C (core 1 - core 4). and my max temp using Prime 94 small FFT for 15 minutes is about 69 - 72 C (core 1 - core 4).
My idle temp for VGA is 34C, and full load using furmark (bench test) is about 45 C.
My ambient temp was between 27 - 29 C.. I live in tropical climate, and its not raining for about 2 months...
I used Aerocool F6XT fan controller for the fans. Full speed on all the fans. And Molex 4 pin directly to the pump.

My Questions are:
1. Was my loop effective to cool my rig?
2. is it enough using only 1 PUMP for my loop?
3. if i want to put another DDC1 pump with EK Top.. which one is more efficient (temperature wise)?
3a. Make another loop? each one for VGA and CPU.
3b. Buy an EK dualtop for both of pump

Any thought are welcomed...

Thx all..

·
Super Moderator
19,302 Posts
Taking a closer look this is already in the essentials sticky, so I don't need to change anything.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
So I was a fool and got a kit: here. Now I'm looking to replace the pump and res with individual ones instead of the combo that came with it in order to clean up the loop and my wiring.

I have replaced the rad with this.

My setup currently looks something like this:

- EK-Supreme LTX (universal CPU block based on EK Supreme LTX )
- XSPC EX360 Triple 120mm Low Profile Split Fin Radiator w/ included fans
- EK-DCP 2.2 Pump
- EK-Reservoir Combo DCP 2.2
- (~3.5') Feser Tube Active UV Hose - 3/8" ID (1/2"OD) Anti-Kink Tubing - UV Acid Green
- (8) 3/8" x 1/2" compression fittings
- Swiftech 4-Way Manifold w/ Monsoon Silver Bullet

Looking at your general guide this would put me around 2.1 PSI if I understand correctly. Would this mean that an MCP 655 or 355 would work well as a replacement for the EK pump/res combo? Is there a better option? Have no plans of cooling my GTX 680, memory or MB at this time just the CPU.

The current res holds ~110mL if I'm not mistaken, so would going bigger be a negative? Want to consider the 160 or 250 helix reservoirs on FrozenCPU.

Appreciate any input as this is the first loop I've put together, and now that it's working I want to try to improve it for organization and improvement purposes. Currently can't close case lol
tongue.gif

Any help is greatly appreciated. If at all possible, advice on incorporating a fill line with the changes would be great. I am very ashamed of the condition of my cable and tubing management, but here are pics anyways: http://imgur.com/a/zw46L

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hope this Thread is still alive and if not, I apologize in advance. Of course this isn't going to to be the first or the last of these questions, but here it goes.

I am running a single Alphacool VPP655 variable speed in an XSPC bay res.

the hardware in the loop is as follows:
Black ice GT 360 stealth
phobya 200mm rad
2 x swiftech Komodo fullcover 7970
XSPC Raystorm

My temps right now are quite horrible and I think it is related to flow/pressure... Shame the komodo's are very restrictive. what pump(s) do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm trying to decide which one of the following two Pumps to choose from:

http://www.aquatuning.ch/product_info.php/info/p3040_Laing-D5-Pump-12V-D5-Vario-1-2-tubing-connector--Swiftech-MCP655-.html

and

http://www.aquatuning.ch/product_info.php/info/p13775_Aquacomputer-D5-pump-mechnics-with-USB--and-aquabus-interface.html

The Aquacomputer obv seemes to be 24V capable but I can't seem to figure out why it would be cheaper when it has the added possibility of being able to regulate the speed over USB?
Also I'm not sure if it makes a big difference to be able to run it at 24V, when most of the Pumps are set for 12V.

Also when I compare this Pump below to the Swiftech in the first link I don't see what the difference is that makes it cost that much more?

http://www.aquatuning.ch/product_info.php/info/p1253_Laing-D5-Pump-12V-D5-Vario-1-2-IG.html

I guess I'll be going with the Aquacomputer which seems to have more Options for a smaller Price, but I'm not sure if that's truly a better Pump... Any Advie?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbenni88 View Post

I hope this Thread is still alive and if not, I apologize in advance. Of course this isn't going to to be the first or the last of these questions, but here it goes.
Black ice GT 360 stealth
phobya 200mm rad
XSPC Raystorm
My temps right now are quite horrible and I think it is related to flow/pressure... Shame the komodo's are very restrictive. what pump(s) do you guys recommend?
Before throwing money at "better" pumps, you might want to measure flow rate in your loop - it's rarely done, and yet so easy to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post

Before throwing money at "better" pumps, you might want to measure flow rate in your loop - it's rarely done, and yet so easy to do.
Well the only way I can see that happening is with a flow meter in the loop, or using martins flow estimator, which is outdated and doesn't have current hardware listed to make an accurate calculation. Unless you have another calculator or idea. Sure I could possibly pull together some numbers but I doubt it would be accurate as well. Just figured I'd ask the community since there are a lot of well experienced members in the field of water cooling.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbenni88 View Post

Black ice GT 360 stealth
phobya 200mm rad
XSPC Raystorm
I'm assuming you're running the pump on the highest setting. Could you give temperature numbers to show how 'horrible' the temperatures are? If it's a restriction issue, it would be best to get a pump with a higher head pressure, such as an MCP35x, or a similar variant. Another option would be to add a second D5 pump in series with your current pump.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts