Overclock.net banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirerat View Post

thats for the entire loop.. If you have a lot of right angles it will be a bit higher though.
Fittings that connect to the components are not very restricted. Its the angles that are.
Ahh okay cool thought so but wasn't sure for a second lol. Also I read before from martin that today's 90s are not anymore restrictive than fittings they do create a slight turbulence. However people still say they create a ton of restriction that was from the old home depot plastic elbows. He said that 10 90s are like the restriction of a flow meter. I may be off on the numbers a little that was a while ago
smile.gif

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great info and I think I understand, but still have a question. If I choose this pump, as it has the most static head pressure, (MCP35X Stock: 6.52 PS), how do I know the flow rate will still be 1 gpm? I used your guide to add up my psi restrictions and came up with 4.8, so I assume this pump would give me plenty of room. Is the pump rated and fixed at 1gpm? Can you adjust the flow rate?

As I read further I see that the Swiftec pumps have different percentages 40%MLL up to 100% MLL for example. Perhaps I should pick a pump that is closer to the psi restriction of my setup. Does that keep the pump closer to 1 GPM?
What does the MLL mean

Thanks
Dan

first of many questions

·
Go Again!
5,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlocc View Post

Ahh okay cool thought so but wasn't sure for a second lol. Also I read before from martin that today's 90s are not anymore restrictive than fittings they do create a slight turbulence. However people still say they create a ton of restriction that was from the old home depot plastic elbows. He said that 10 90s are like the restriction of a flow meter. I may be off on the numbers a little that was a while ago
smile.gif
yea read the same tests. It takes a lot of 90s to really make much difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone!

My future loop will be somthing like this:

2 Rads -> Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 480MP
2 Rads -> Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 240 MP
1 Rads -> Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 140 MP
CPU Block -> XSPC - Copper Raystorm Pro
GPU Block ->XSPC Full Cover Razor GTX 980
Resevoir -> Phobya Balancer 250

I was thinking to use a Swiftech MCP655 for this loop, can she do it?
wink.gif

If not, how about the MCP655-B?

MCP655
Max Capacities: 5.5GPM
Max Head: 16'
Maximum Working Pressure: 50 PSI

MCP655-B
Max Capacities: 7.5GPM
Max Head: 19'

Thanks,
VegetaPT

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegetaPT View Post

Hi everyone!

My future loop will be somthing like this:

2 Rads -> Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 480MP
2 Rads -> Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 240 MP
1 Rads -> Black Ice SR2 Xtreme+ 140 MP
CPU Block -> XSPC - Copper Raystorm Pro
GPU Block ->XSPC Full Cover Razor GTX 980
Resevoir -> Phobya Balancer 250

I was thinking to use a Swiftech MCP655 for this loop, can she do it?
wink.gif

If not, how about the MCP655-B?

MCP655
Max Capacities: 5.5GPM
Max Head: 16'

MCP655-B
Max Capacities: 7.5GPM
Max Head: 19'

Thanks,
VegetaPT
That is alot of radiator lol, If I am reading that right anyway, what case are you putting all those rads in?

Anyway to your question yes a D5 (mcp655) should handle it fine also your specs are backwards, the MCP655-B does not have a variable speed so it is always set to speed 4, the MCP 655 has variable speeds up to 5 the non B is the stronger pump if it is on speed 5
smile.gif

Here is a graph to visualize the speeds
smile.gif

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Do you guys know if there are somewhere measurements for Alphacool DC-LT pumps pressure vs flow rate curves available somewhere in the internet. They seem to claim a pretty respectable ~2 mH2O at ~3500 rpm and relatively low flow rate of approx 110 L/h but I have not noticed an actual measurements with them. To make things even more confusing the few reviews I have noticed are almost all done with the plexi top while approx 95% of these pumps (according to a person who answered my question a little while ago why is not Alphacool doing acetal top for the pump) are actually used with the 5.25'' bay res/pump top combo.

This is the thread about that pump in these forums: http://www.overclock.net/t/1253497/alphacool-dc-lt-ceramic-pump-and-tops-information/0_50 Would be great to get some actual numbers in there though
smile.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post

That is alot of radiator lol, If I am reading that right anyway, what case are you putting all those rads in?

Anyway to your question yes a D5 (mcp655) should handle it fine also your specs are backwards, the MCP655-B does not have a variable speed so it is always set to speed 4, the MCP 655 has variable speeds up to 5 the non B is the stronger pump if it is on speed 5
smile.gif

Here is a graph to visualize the speeds
smile.gif

It's everything to put inside of a 900D.

The MPC655-B version that I was talking about is the 24V and not the 12V.
if you use it with a 24V controller, this pump will be way more powerful than the D5 Vario at setting 5. A D5 Vario has a RPM limitation of 4800, so no matter how much voltage you give her, she will not run over that speed. The D5 Strong's RPM limitation is at 5900 (only attainable with a 24V controller), but the counterpart is that she will not be able to operate below 4000 RPM.

Thank for the help!
wink.gif

VegetaPT

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Quote:

It's everything to put inside of a 900D.

The MPC655-B version that I was talking about is the 24V and not the 12V.
if you use it with a 24V controller, this pump will be way more powerful than the D5 Vario at setting 5. A D5 Vario has a RPM limitation of 4800, so no matter how much voltage you give her, she will not run over that speed. The D5 Strong's RPM limitation is at 5900 (only attainable with a 24V controller), but the counterpart is that she will not be able to operate below 4000 RPM.

Thank for the help!
wink.gif

VegetaPT
I know what a d5 strong is lol, however an MCP655-B is not a D5 strong. The MCP655-B is limited to 13vs just like the Vario and thus 4800rpms, The only vendor that sells a D5 Strong Pump to my knowledge is Koolance Martin tested this along time ago. There is a Laing D5 Strong but Swiftech doesn't re brand it, "MCP655" is a swiftech branding model other rebrands use different names. So what you would be looking for is a Koolance 450-s that would be your D5 strong.

I dont know what gave you the impression that a 655-B is a strong but I am glad you brought it up because it isnt. I would hate for you to buy a controller and a MCP655-b expecting a Strong pump.

Another thing to note, is that using aftermarket tops on the d5 strong is generally a bad Idea, maybe you can use Koolances. However I have heard lots of issues with using tops and Strongs just a warning
smile.gif
. Anyway like I said Koolance PMP 450s is what you want.

The thing with D5s that confuse people is all the vendors and models and stuff, but its really simple if you realize that it comes in 4 versions and then is re branded (all the same though). The versions are PWM, Vario, Basic (stuck at setting 4 like the Swiftech basic (MCP655-B = MCP655 Basic) or the Strong. I think AC mods there PWM version for Aquabus by adding another board to it, aside from that no vendor changes anything just relabels it.

Filling up a 900d like that is a fun ride and not going to be easy
smile.gif
I speak from experience
smile.gif
. a tip I have for you. If you are going to use a midplate and route fillports through it, Then cut out the power supply half of the rad mount on the basement as otherwise you aint getting your PSU in with your loop installed
smile.gif
(and your going to want to install your PSU last trust me
smile.gif
). I have a 420 in the roof a 480 and 240 in the basement and a 240 in the front of my 900d
smile.gif

I would also advise though that you drop the 1 140mm rad, all of your rad should be in taking air, and as such the 140 will be the only exhaust and f its using recycled rad air it might as well not be there. If its just for looks I can understand that but you will see little to no gain from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

I know what a d5 strong is lol, however an MCP655-B is not a D5 strong. The MCP655-B is limited to 13vs just like the Vario and thus 4800rpms, The only vendor that makes a D5 strong Pump to my knowledge is Koolance Martin tested this along time ago, There is a Laing D5 Strong but Swiftech doesn't re brand it "MCP655" is a swiftech branding model other rebrands use different names. So what you would be looking for is a Koolance 450-s that would be your D5 strong.

I dont know what gave you the impression that a 655-B is a strong but I am glad you brought it up because it isnt. I would hate for you to buy a controller and a MCP655-b expecting a Strong pump.

Another thing to note, is that using aftermarket tops on the d5 strong is generally a bad Idea, maybe you can use Koolances. However I have heard lots of issues with using tops and Strongs just a warning
smile.gif
. Anyway like I said Koolance PMP 450s is what you want.

Filling up a 900d like that is a fun ride and not going to be easy
smile.gif
I speak from experience
smile.gif
. a tip I have for you. If you are going to use a midplate and route fillports through it, Then cut out the power supply half of the rad mount on the basement as otherwise you aint getting your PSU in with your loop installed
smile.gif
(and your going to want to install your PSU last trust me
smile.gif
). I have a 420 in the roof a 480 and 240 in the basement and a 240 in the front of my 900d
smile.gif

I would also advise though that you drop the 1 140mm rad, all of your rad should be in taking air, and as such the 140 will be the only exhaust and f its using recycled rad air it might as well not be there. If its just for looks I can understand that but you will see little to no gain from it.
So either the MCP655, the MCP655-B or the Koolance PMP 450S can run my loop, right?!
I won't use any top on the pump!

Yeah that last 140 rad it's just for the looks
wink.gif

Thanks for everything Cyber Locc!

VegetaPT

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,639 Posts
Quote:

So either the MCP655, the MCP655-B or the Koolance PMP 450S can run my loop, right?!

Yeah that last 140 rad it's just for the looks
wink.gif

Thanks for everything Cyber Locc!

VegetaPT
Ya they should all be fine
smile.gif
if you want a little more power go with the Vario, or the Strong. They will give you more headroom for later, the Vario could also be turned down for less noise and still work with your current setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

Ya they should all be fine
smile.gif
if you want a little more power go with the Vario, or the Strong. They will give you more headroom for later, the Vario could also be turned down for less noise and still work with your current setup.
Thanks Cyber Locc, probably I'll go with MCP655, because with the variations of speed it takes easier to remove the little bubbles.

One more time thanks,

VegetaPT

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So you add up all your restriction values from rad to blocks and take that total and subtract it from the max head pressure of you pump wanting at least 1 psi at the end??

thanks

101 - 114 of 114 Posts