Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone reading this.

I am stuck on deciding a case. I will be water cooling my next build, and I REALLY like the look of the Cooler Master H500P. However, I am concerned that its not ideal for water cooling. I have seen videos of people building a water loop inside the case, but with only one radiator, usually along the top.

Are there any other cases you would recommend instead for water cooling? I did notice Themaltake The Tower 900, which would seem easier to work with, but is designed for dual reseviors etc. Might be to much for what Im going after.

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
I knew about case labs. A little pricey for me.
there are so many cases too choose from, you have to give more details. Like what you want to cool, what is your budget, what size, what watercooling parts you think of going with, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there are so many cases too choose from, you have to give more details. Like what you want to cool, what is your budget, what size, what watercooling parts you think of going with, etc.
This is my first water cooling build so...

I dont want to spend more than 250.00 on a case. I know the Thermaltake tower has lots of room for radiators and water loops, but its really big. The 500M from cooler master is the "better", soon to be released version of the 500P. I just like the look of the case. The front all mesh design seems it would be ideal for fans to draw in air. I could modify the top to do the same as well.

I want to cool an intel 8700k (goal is to get 5ghz), and a GTX 1080

I will be using some (possibly 6) NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM fans. I am still deciding on the radiators. I am leaning towards EK-COOLSTREAM PE rads, or the SE variants. I also like Hardware labs GTS rads. I feel the massive 30 fpi would generate to much noise, but offers more surface area to cool parts. This rads depend on the case i select since not all cases support the same size raditors. I really, really like the cooler master one tho. Im just worried it would be a very tight fight for water loop with 2 rads.

Hope thats helps

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts

I dont want to spend more than 250.00 on a case. I know the Thermaltake tower has lots of room for radiators and water loops, but its really big. The 500M from cooler master is the "better", soon to be released version of the 500P. I just like the look of the case. The front all mesh design seems it would be ideal for fans to draw in air. I could modify the top to do the same as well.

I will be using some (possibly 6) NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM fans. I am still deciding on the radiators. I am leaning towards EK-COOLSTREAM PE rads, or the SE variants. I also like Hardware labs GTS rads. I feel the massive 30 fpi would generate to much noise, but offers more surface area to cool parts. This rads depend on the case i select since not all cases support the same size raditors. I really, really like the cooler master one tho. Im just worried it would be a very tight fight for water loop with 2 rads.

Hope thats helps
the se rads are very small but basically one of the worst performing rads on the market. the gts rads are amazing for thin rads and work nice with low rpm fans. the magicool g2 360 rads are also really nice.

im building in the fractal r6 right now. Its a great case. 2 - 360 rads gets a little tight but they fit.

if you like thermaltake, the view 71 is a pretty cool case, plenty of room for any kind of loop you want.

also the new obsidian 500d is pretty nice. I feel like it's wierd. The $150-$200 range has a lot of nice mid towers but the next nice cases are like $350-$500+. Not much in between.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the se rads are very small but basically one of the worst performing rads on the market. the gts rads are amazing for thin rads and work nice with low rpm fans. the magicool g2 360 rads are also really nice.

im building in the fractal r6 right now. Its a great case. 2 - 360 rads gets a little tight but they fit.

if you like thermaltake, the view 71 is a pretty cool case, plenty of room for any kind of loop you want.

also the new obsidian 500d is pretty nice. I feel like it's wierd. The $150-$200 range has a lot of nice mid towers but the next nice cases are like $350-$500+. Not much in between.
I do like the Thermaltake vuew 71, but not all about the RGB . I guess it wouldnt really matter if I am using the Noctua ones anyways.

I was watching a review of the H500P from Gamers Nexus. I believe he said something about air being drawn in from 90 degree angles has something to do with reducing the cooling performance of the radiators/ liquid cooling in general. He was talking about the plexi glass in the front and top of that case and mentioned that air can only come in from the side vents on those parts. The newer version is pretty much all mesh in the fron, still plexi on top. This is why I have stayed away from cases with no meshes. This is my first go at it. I dont want to reduce any chance of performance by selecting a badly designed case for water cooling.

Am i overthinking it?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

Hope thats helps
for your budget of 250 under the r6 is the way to go, extremely water cooling friendly. The hp500 is not a watercooling case imo.

·
r/wallstreetbets degen
418 Posts
Not a phanteks enthoo evolv, that's for sure. If I were to do a custom loop I'd probably go with the inwin 909.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I may switch to Thermaltake. I will watch some reviews and water cooling builds over the weekend. Will do more research on rads as well.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If I was in the market and had an open budget, CaseLabs for sure.

If I want to keep the price down but have a decent product, Corsair or Phanteks for sure.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts

Hope thats helps
well today there are cases made for water cooling, a good case will last. my case is 20 years old and I still like it for water cooling.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1615072-cpu-radiator-upgrade-water-cooled-rig.html

it is a big case, and water cooling cases should be big, it makes the build easier, or not a hassle to build. so I like the big cases out there for water cooling so that I have room to do what ever I want.

https://www.amazon.com/anidees-Crys...keywords=pc+case&refinements=p_36:15000-33000

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...rd_wg=zSbbg&psc=1&refRID=TEX75X6N00P7895S3RXT

the best case, and I would really suggest this, is a caselabs. they are a little more expensive, but it will also last 20 years.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/mercury-s8s-customizable/

this one is one sale right now for a good price.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hi there

Personally I would go with Phanteks Enthoo Primo, have used that case for my loop and been very happy, run in this case 360mm EK XE360 on top and on bottom 240mm 60mm thick radiator Mayhems Havoc, both run radiators has have fans in push pull configuration

Have run there 3*GPUs(GTX1080Ti with 2152Mhz OC, GTX1080 with 2164MHz OC and GTX1080 with 2100MHz OC) and 5820k with 4.5Ghz or 5960x with 4.5Ghz OC and no issues at all, water delta T with all GPUs rendering has been in 5-7°C and in gaming water delta T has been in 5-7°C, only in mining water delta T has been 8-10°C,temperatures in gaming on Ti I saw 36-38°C as max, in rendering temperatures has been very similar and in mining temperatures has been higher at 42-45°C with higher ambient temperature, in normal ambient in 21°C GPUs temperatures has been in 40-42°C

I used same case for friend, he is running 5930k with 4.5Ghz and Gigabyte GTX1080Ti Aorus Extreme with Phanteks Glacier WB and radiator setup is EK PE360 with Noctua NF-F12 only in push configuration and on bottom Mayhems Havoc 240mm with EK Vardar F3 1850RPM fans in push pull configuration, CPU temperatures in Asus Realbench stress test we are saw 65°C as max on PKG and temperatures on GPU we are saw 33-36°C as max during the gaming with fans running at 900-950RPM

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
25 Posts
As an owner of caselabs TH10 I'd probably avoid them again unless you live in a vacuum. One day when they take dust filtration seriously Id be first in line to buy but now my beautiful case has ugly as hell Demc filters on it. If I didn't put those on I'd spend more time cleaning my case than playing games.

I just completed a build with the TT View 71. Its not even close to the quality of the caselabs, but at least it has dust filters and is very easy to build out a loop in. Tons of room. The plastic front and top will wear out where it connects to the metal case very quickly Im sure the legs will break here soon I can see plastic stretch marks on them.

I'd love to find a case like it with better build quality but I can't find any that will take 420x45 + 360x60 rads that isnt too huge like the TT View 71 does.

·
jonnyblaze
4,328 Posts
As an owner of caselabs TH10 I'd probably avoid them again unless you live in a vacuum. One day when they take dust filtration seriously Id be first in line to buy but now my beautiful case has ugly as hell Demc filters on it. If I didn't put those on I'd spend more time cleaning my case than playing games.

I just completed a build with the TT View 71. Its not even close to the quality of the caselabs, but at least it has dust filters and is very easy to build out a loop in. Tons of room. The plastic front and top will wear out where it connects to the metal case very quickly Im sure the legs will break here soon I can see plastic stretch marks on them.

I'd love to find a case like it with better build quality but I can't find any that will take 420x45 + 360x60 rads that isnt too huge like the TT View 71 does.
ya I know a lot of people hate on it, but I was actually really impressed with that case. 3 - 360 rads fits easy, tons of room above mobo. The front and top with the glass being offset, the airflow is actually pretty nice. Its big enough where the vertical gpu doesnt look funny. And it's not too huge either. also at $150 for the non-rgb version, it's actually pretty nicely priced for 4 very thick tg panels.

I was building in it but then switched to the r6.

I feel like I really liked it but I was almost a little embarrassed because everyone hates on it. But it's really nice for the price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts