Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good would this computer be as an HTPC?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz (Turbo boost @ 3.8GHz) stock HSF
ASUS P8H67 M-Pro Motherboard
8GB (4x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Ram
Asus Nvidia GT530 2GB
Seagate 1TB HDD w/ Windows Home Pro 64bit installed
330w Power Supply

I'd like to watch at 1080p on a ~50in TV. I can change a few components as needed. Thinking a higher end sound card would probably be all I'd need.

Also have an 8600gt, if for some reason that card may be better.

TV has a VGA input.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Performance-wise, yes, that will play anything you throw at it.

My mom's HTPC is a 2.5Ghz Intel 2180 with a 8500GS. Must offload video processing to the GPU, tho.

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Definitely no need for a 2600. Get yourself an i3, especially since you won't be overclocking. Everything else looks alright, however you could probably get away with getting a little less-grade of a motherboard. For 1080p? That 8600GT might very well be all you need.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I have this computer already. It was a spur of the moment buy and I ended up building my own rig (sig rig). I'm currently trying to sell it, but if it doesn't sell, I want to turn it into an HTPC.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yeah that 2600 is way overkill for an HTPC, but the rest of the rig would be just fine for 1080p. I don't know how a 2600 will run on a 330w PSU to be honest.

On that note, I do hope you haven't gone and bought the cheapest PSU you could find. That might not end well one day.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's actually running pretty good. If the PSU turns out to be the weak link down the road, it'll be swapped out.

A HTPC isn't actually in the plans, just yet. I just didn't want the PC to be sitting around when I could use it for something. If it sells, the money would probably go into savings instead of towards another PC. You know what I mean? Lol.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is overkill as far as a htpc, but yeah it will play everything. As far as a sound card, you should be able to use that opical input or the HDMI on that board and get 7.1 sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds good. Thanks guys.

P.s. is there a post limit or something to be able to post in the classifieds?

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ja3s
View Post

Not a post limit, but a rep limit. Once you reach 35 rep you are able to post in the For Sale section

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja3s;15283158

What metallicamaster3 said, but also, just a hint, you are always welcome to reply to wanted threads (as far as I've understood). So if someone is looking for an i7, make them an offer.
thumb.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts