Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ASUS VG278HE 144hz monitor which is configured for 120hz (strobed) lightboost. I play Battlefield 3; and i have two GTX 670 FTW in SLI. The response time for this monitor is 2ms.

For some reason when im flying a jet; i can see "ghosting" of the any jet moving across my screen. I mean; its not horrible and nor does it really affect my gameplay; but it is slight and i see like slight "shadows" of the same exact image (thats ghosting, right?) trailing the original image as it passes across my screen (like a jet flying by in front of me).

The ghosting is only particularly noticeable with jets as they move quickly across my screen. It doesnt happen with slower moving objects like a helicopter, or infantry.... The ghosting only really happens on jets?

Is this ghosting? Whats causing this? Can i do anything about this? Why is this happening to JUST the fast moving objects?

I mean, like i said.... its only for faster moving objects that move across my screen; i cannot notice any other kind of ghosting on anything else. (since jets are pretty much the only fast moving things) -- I dont see this on a moving MAV in the sky, or a helicopter or people running....just jets....

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,692 Posts
Check the monitor cable for damage. Check for other wires that may be coiled around it causing interference.

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Check the monitor cable for damage. Check for other wires that may be coiled around it causing interference.
Is it really a cable issue?

I looked at the cable and nothing is coiled around it. It is around other cables, but that cant possibly be the issue? Its in securely. I can look around if i have another DVI-D cable laying around and see if that fixes the problem.... might do that when i get back from work.
rolleyes.gif

·
Crayon Evangelist
7,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthethc View Post

Quote:

I looked at the cable and nothing is coiled around it. It is around other cables, but that cant possibly be the issue? Its in securely. I can look around if i have another DVI-D cable laying around and see if that fixes the problem.... might do that when i get back from work.
rolleyes.gif
Its not the only possibility, but ghosting can certainly be caused by poor cable shielding, and it is the first place to start because moving some cable's around and unplugging printers and such is a 0 cost fix
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Ghosting is caused by slow pixel transition times - the pixels cannot transition fast enough to the correct colour, and thus you see a ghost image as the pixel is half-transformed.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Ghosting is caused by slow pixel transition times - the pixels cannot transition fast enough to the correct colour, and thus you see a ghost image as the pixel is half-transformed.
Today, it is more like 90% transformed, 98% transformed, 99% transformed.
Depends on monitor and situation, but generally, LightBoost ghosts are less than 1% intensity.
Quote:

The response time for this monitor is 2ms.
LightBoost motion blur (~1.4ms) is actually less than the pixel transition time as pixel transition time is executed while the monitor is in total darkness (between strobe flashes of backlight). It's bypassing the pixel transition speed limitation. With LightBoost strobing, every refresh at 120Hz is illuminated only for 1.4 milliseconds, and kept in total darkness for 6.9 milliseconds between refreshes. (Confirmed by multiple sources; both Blur Busters and TFTCentral oscilloscope tests). The 2ms transitions fit nearly completely within the 6.9ms of darkness (unseen by human eye), but not 100% completely as occasionaly a small amount of transition (usually less than 1%) is still visible -- which then manifests itself as the very, very, very, very faint LightBoost ghost effect. So the vast majority of your motion blur has already "broken the LCD pixel transition speed barrier", thanks to LightBoost.

For info on LightBoost ghosting, see below.
Quote:

Its not the only possibility, but ghosting can certainly be caused by poor cable shielding, and it is the first place to start because moving some cable's around and unplugging printers and such is a 0 cost fix
thumb.gif
Common advice, but belay this, see below. Cable ghosting only happens on analog, and LightBoost doesn't operate on analog, and the original poster is using LightBoost. The OP is describing known LightBoost ghosting that only happens on fast-moving high-contrast objects (e.g. jets in a blue sky)
Quote:

Nope.
Not a cable issue.

Coincidentially, there is a new Blur Busters article about ghosting/overdrive: LCD Motion Artifacts: Overdrive
That said, the OP is talking about LightBoost specific ghosting, which exists albiet much fainter than non-LightBoost ghosting.
Quote:
Non-LightBoost Ghosting
They show up as this:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ ... http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/
(From the new article at www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur Busters
Without overdrive, LCD displays are prone to ghosting. Ghosting is typically caused by the asymmetric speeds of pixel transitions. LCD pixels often transition faster to a specific value, than back from a specific value. This creates the differences in motion artifacts on the leading edge versus the trailing edge of moving on-screen objects.
LightBoost Ghosting

Observe the red rectangle above. That's what it looks like; LightBoost faint razor-sharp-ghost similar in intensity to 3D crosstalk. (3D crosstalk is a form of ghosting too!)

Ideally, LightBoost ghosting is much, much, much fainter than non-LightBoost ghosting, if properly set up.

LightBoost ghosting is different than non-LightBoost ghosting, is that it simply looks like a sharp faint double-image effect, that shows up along the direction of motion. Instead of a blurry ghost, you've got a ultra-sharp ghost double image, which is simply the remnant state of the LCD screen at the moment of the next backlight strobe. (See high speed video of LightBoost for how LightBoost works; it strobes the backlight on fully refreshed frames). Sometimes the pixels are only 99% transitioned by the time the next time the backlight needs to flash. This shows up as the faint razor sharp ghost.

That can manifest itself as a very faint trailing double-image, similiar to what is seen on the left edge of the tower at the TestUFO Eiffel Tower Test at www.testufo.com/photo#photo=eiffel.jpg .... This is generally unavoidable but the ghost is nearly non existent on VG248QE / XL2411T / XL2420TE / XL2420Trev2.0 while it is more visible on VG278HE / XL2420T(orig rev 1.0) and somewhat visible on VG278H and XL2720T's. That said, the VG278H (non-E) can eliminate its LightBoost ghost by lowering your monitor's onscreen contrast down to about 50. However, the colors do not look nearly as good so I do not recommend so. If you hate the LightBoost ghost, but want good colors, a good compromise setting is an ASUS monitor on-screen Contrast ratio of about 70. Personally, I prefer 90 (VG278H specific) since I like brighter colors, even if I gain a small amount of LightBoost double-ghost. Certain monitors (VG248QE) don't go above about 50 Contrast ratio without clipping whites, so make sure to be mindful of your calibration when attempting to diminish the ghost.

LightBoost ghosting is generally more visible at the bottom edge of the screen, and sometimes the top edge of the screen. This is due to the freshness of the strobes relative to the timing of pixel transitions. This is apparent in the high speed video of LightBoost, linked above.

When does LightBoost ghosting happen? Only if these two are met:
1. Fast motion; AND
2. High contrast (the same type of material where 3D crosstalk normally occurs)

Example: www.testufo.com/photo#photo=eiffel.jpg
(use Chrome or another 120Hz friendly browser)
Solutions to LightBoost faint sharp ghost effect:
  • It's normal and very faint (much fainter than non-LightBoost ghosting), only shows up on sharp high-contrast boundaries along motion. It's unavoidable just like occasional 3D crosstalk is unavoidable. Just ignore it.
  • If you prefer, adjust contrast downwards in your monitor OSD menu. This will cause the LightBoost ghost to fade.
  • If it's a major annoyance; get one of the "1ms 144Hz" panels, as they have darn near zero LightBoost faint-ghosting. But they have less contrast ratio than the 27" 120Hz panels which typically has better LightBoost color. There is generally a tradeoff between contrast ratio and ghosting, and there's a scientific reason (overdrive headroom -- lower contrast gives more headroom for overdrive). Done properly, strobing can help hides the vast majority of ugly ghosting/overdrive, but not completely. VG278H's have much better LightBoost color, so I'd suggest tolerating the faint ghost effect found on VG278H's
Hope this helps!

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woah. That really helped. Explains a lot now.

Yeah the faint ghost effects are REALLY subtle. Not worth it for me to buy a completely new monitor over haha.

Guess ill ignore it; like i said its subtle
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Quote:

Yeah the faint ghost effects are REALLY subtle. Not worth it for me to buy a completely new monitor over haha.

biggrin.gif
Quote:

biggrin.gif
did you try a different cable?

i had problems with my middle monitor which is a (tn-panel monitor) that showed ghosting. i picked it as my middle monitor because tn panels are usually "faster" than ips monitors and also because it has pour angles so i wouldn't have to deal with the poor angles it being my center monitor...

anyway i noticed moving objects did have ghosting.. the ghosting was very noticeable only on this monitor. i change my monitor configurations a lot and i don't know what i did but the ghosting is no longer there. so while i can't help you how to fix your problem, it's possible you could get rid of it...

make sure monitor is tight and secure.. try different cables...

·
Twitch Streamer
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix65 View Post

i had problems with my middle monitor which is a (tn-panel monitor) that showed ghosting. i picked it as my middle monitor because tn panels are usually "faster" than ips monitors and also because it has pour angles so i wouldn't have to deal with the poor angles it being my center monitor...

anyway i noticed moving objects did have ghosting.. the ghosting was very noticeable only on this monitor. i change my monitor configurations a lot and i don't know what i did but the ghosting is no longer there. so while i can't help you how to fix your problem, it's possible you could get rid of it...

make sure monitor is tight and secure.. try different cables...
Tried a different cable and i still see it. This time i even completely ran the cable an opposite direction and the same subtle ghosting occurs. Are my eyes that sensitive to just catch on to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderscoreHero View Post

Try turning off Motion Blur in BF3.
Its off.
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix65 View Post

It is NOT the cable for *THIS* OP

Yes, ghosting can be caused by cables, but it is NOT causing Aesthetic's ghosting.
Quote:

Tried a different cable and i still see it. This time i even completely ran the cable an opposite direction and the same subtle ghosting occurs. Are my eyes that sensitive to just catch on to it?
Its off.
wink.gif
This type of LightBoost ghosting that you see, is NOT caused by the cable, for your specific ghosting description.

·
Registered
2 Posts
for all that are experiencing ghosting probs....
i simply unplugged pc from wall, unplugged all connections, gave the whole thing a clean, plugged everything back in, and hey presto, ghosting gone.

for more technical issues, i have no answers. remember: technology responds to care and love just like a living organism. get angry, get stressed, chances are the pc will 'pick up' on the negative energy and the prob will persist. sort the basics first: simple maintenance, get rid of dust in ports etc, keep fans, all connections, mobo etc clean.

·
Facepalm
10,311 Posts
What the hell, man?
Why did you BUMP A TWO YEAR OLD COMPLETELY DEAD POST???

Please LOOK at post dates/times before you reply to them. This was a DEAD topic.
The original poster had a monitor that was KNOWN To have ghosting problems in Lightboost mode due to a worse overdrive circuit. The VG278 model (not HE) was significantly better, with the "little brother", the VG248QE (even though this used a very common 24" TN Au Optronics panel) being the best out of them all.

If your post were in any way related to the original poster's question, which is it not in the slightest, then bumps like this can be done, although it's usually best to just make a new post with the question you have. But your comment in no way contributed to original issue, which has long been solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts