Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost certainly going to have the opportunity to set up FAH on a 3ghz P4HT tomorrow. It's on basically 24/7 (as of today the uptime was over 20 days). It's used weekdays, but not heavily.
Now, I know that normally you'd want to use the unicore client on a single core, but I saw in one of Tasmac's HFM screenshots a P4 running SMP getting about 500 PPD. Not great, but probably 2x what a unicore would get. So should I try for SMP, or just go with the tried-and-true unicore client?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,115 Posts
You could try. My P4 w/ HT @ 3.0GHz did not make the deadline, but that is because I had 2 GPU2 clients running and that PC was my HTPC... so movies were being played occasionally.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
You will complete a3 WUs (aside from P6701... obviously
), though you woulnd't have much freedom. In my opinion, if it isn't used too much during the weekdays, the couple of days you miss the deadline and don't get bonus points will be covered by the days where you do get the bonuses.

My Pent D is better than a P4 w/HT, and it struggled to hit 200 PPD with 2 Unicore clients... most of the time it was 120-150 PPD.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically it's used for internet and word processing during the day (and not even a lot), most of the time it sits idle. So the general consensus is I should try to go SMP on it, but if it's too slow revert to the unicore client?

Any estimates about TPFs for SMP?

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
My consensus (oxymoron, I know), is that you should use the SMP client regardless. Even without bonuses, it would probably get better PPD then Unicore; I can't see it having issues reaching the Final Deadline. And there's a chance of getting bonuses over the weekend.

Only question is whether if it would be on 24/7. If not, then (and only then) use the Unicore client.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'd say the 20 day uptime currently is a pretty good indication that it is on all of the time.

My only worry is that if it consistently doesn't make the preferred deadlines would that put my success rate low enough that the Q6600 and X4 don't get bonuses?

And what sort of TPFs should I be expecting?

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Well, you could always put it on a seperate passkey (maybe use the Q6600 to qualify it), then you won't have that worry. But I see your point; I overlooked that issue... still, I stand by what I said; even without bonuses, it would get more PPD than Unicore, so a new passkey isn't a terrible idea.

As for TPF... I'd assume ~45-50 mark.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
Well, you could always put it on a seperate passkey (maybe use the Q6600 to qualify it), then you won't have that worry. But I see your point; I overlooked that issue... still, I stand by what I said; even without bonuses, it would get more PPD than Unicore, so a new passkey isn't a terrible idea.

As for TPF... I'd assume ~45-50 mark.
The Q6600 I don't have access to, so I'd just let the P4 do it's own qualifications. I could theoretically have my friend swap out passkeys and then change back, but I'd rather not have him mess with it (since he's sort of reluctant about folding to begin with). I'll create a new passkey now and then see what I can do tomorrow

Wow, I'll actually be folding on something slower than your PentD!

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
What speed?

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

What speed?
I'm pretty sure it's 3ghz, although it may be 3.2

EDIT: I said that in the OP

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Might end up a tad faster then; I use this Pent D quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep you guys posted with PPD

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmx+ View Post
I'll keep you guys posted with PPD

Thanks!
Please do, it is always interesting seeing what oldy hardware can do!

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, so the guy who is in charge of the P4 doesn't want to have a password on it. Can I create a password, install SMP, and then remove it, or will I have to run unicore client(s)? If I have to run unicore clients, should I run 1 or 2?

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
See the SMP guide for 2 options; install on secondary account, or automatic log ins.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

See the SMP guide for 2 options; install on secondary account, or automatic log ins.
Awesome, I'll try and create a secondary account

I don't think they want a password at all, regardless if it's auto-login or not

1 - 19 of 19 Posts