Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a computer for Christmas for my dad i wanna stay within a 200 300$ budget i have a case and a motherboard.. Asus x38 chipset left over from my old build.

He well use this system mainly to surf the web, render some dvds back up allot of music/videos from when we were kids and basically things that were on vhs he well put on dvd no bigger then a 15 20 min movie. burning dvds things of that nature.

MAIN QUESTION:: SHOULD I GO WITH A Quad core or well a overclocked duo core do the job as i have the right mobo and cooling already..

·
Banned
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller
View Post

I'd go with a dually and get a video card that can do the rest of the rendering work.

i have a 7300gt laying around i was just going to throw that in

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Are you sure a GPU will handle DVD rendering, and not the CPU?

I think it will mostly be handled by the CPU. Not to mention that the 7300 isn't exactly blazing fast.

Generally speaking, for media encoding tasks, the more cores the better.

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller
View Post

I'd go with a dually and get a video card that can do the rest of the rendering work.

CUDA or something? ew i hate the look of cuda encoded videos. I say get a good quad (not a Q8XXX, a E8XXX is better than that in games, and almost everything else). Preferably a Q9550.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would either go with the Q9550 or the E8500. I found an OK comparison of them. The article's purpose is not to specifically compare those two chips, but I can't yet find any other comparisons.

Here, here, and here are the pages that might interest you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts