Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
LTSC for life crew
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per title - What CPU(s) do you think of when you think of legendary in computing history?

Personally I think of the 386 which was in my first system, and then the 4790K comes to mind as being a strong performer in my system for the longest stretch of time.

And on the flip side of things, the 7700K was the last flagship quad core from Intel before they abandoned the old way of doing things. A lot of people were upset over that one.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
I've only been keeping tabs on PC hardware for about 12 years, but in my time, the ones that would best fit would be the Q6600 and i5-2500K. Q6600 was so affordable and overclocked so well. The performance leap from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge was the last generational leap worth it from Intel. It's been die shrinks and optimizations ever since. Skylake and its refreshes brought more memory bandwidth with the adoption of DDR4.

·
r/wallstreetbets degen
418 Posts
2700k by a landslide.

·
Old Fart
610 Posts
I think most people will speak of great CPU's that they have owned. For me, the PC I built had an e8400 that overclocked like a champ, it was "go to" during that time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
2500K/2600K, the leap was huge even from previous gen 760/870/875K in my opinion. Seemed to OC easier and even had a good jump in base frequency of almost 500 mhz from 875k to 2600k. Still have a 3770K that even though it's definitely showing its age, especially vs a $120 Ryzen 3300X, it's been a great chip for my usage. I think with time we might also think that about some 2nd/3rd gen Ryzen processors as they finally closed a gap with Intel but also enacted essentially double the cores/threads for mainstream processors. Also the late 90s/early 2000s Athlon K series/64 processors and quad core Q series get an honorable mention as I remember that's when I really became interested in PC gaming on a grander scale (other than my Voodoo2 gpu on my Pentium 100 mhz PC I first got in 95/96 to play soley games such as Myth TFL and Dungeon Keeper). It's tougher for me to judge the HEDT segment for rank of legendary as I've never spent the money towards those platforms.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,778 Posts
unlocked sandybridge, in most recent history.

i wasn't into it like that until then really.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I remember the Cyrix 5x86 120, the last gasp of the 80486 socket. The 80486 socket at one point had three manufacturers making CPU's for it. I think Super socket 7 used to have three manufacturers making CPU's for it as well, I think the K6III+ was the best CPU ever made for that socket.

I remember I spent countless hours trying to overclock my q9550 and was finally dialing in Vtt/CPU term./FSB term when the motherboard (Gigabyte UD3LR with bare power MOSFET's) and/or CPU fried.

·
Still kinda lost
3,377 Posts
Pentium D 9xx, 2500k, 7700k, I am sure there is a place for a couple of xeons here too and a couple of phenoms.

·
Banned
1,957 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Socket A Athlons you could OC by using a pencil on, I used mine for 6 years until the caps in my Soyo Dragon Plus finally died.

·
....X....
5,071 Posts
The 5820k.. around 6 year old now and still strong and will be for the next 2-4 year easily

·
LTSC for life crew
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That reminds me, I did the Q6600 pin mod on my girlfriend's prebuilt HP to bump it up to 3.0GHz. Now that was a neat little trick.

Also, can't forget some of the AMD's that had BIOS unlockable cores. Sometimes the cores would be unstable at stock settings but with a little tweaking you could gain a whole lot of performance for just some of your time.

·
Bench, Dead, Squat
421 Posts
The old Celeron 300a!! The OG Overclocker.

·
r/wallstreetbets degen
418 Posts
2700K came much later than the legendary 2600K and 2500K.
And yet that changes absolutely nothing.

And why are you assuming I didn't already know this, lol?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'll +1 the q6600. First chip I ever watercooled and diced.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
588 Posts
AMD FX 8xxx series for all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Legendary = 'of all time' and most people here are too young or new to computing to know true legends.

386 33mhz
486 66mhz
k6-III
Pentium 90
Athlons (2004-2005)
Core2-duo
Phenom quad cores

--- only modern parts that deserve to be on the list ---
2700k / 2500k
Epyc server chips: they brought in the era of chiplets which everything will use in the future.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The original...

·
Invalid Media
2,361 Posts
For consumer (non-HEDT) parts...probably the 2600K. But I didn't have one of those, instead waited and went for a 3770K...w/ water cooling 5 GHz @1.3v was (is) no problem, so that one stands out in my mind. Honorable mention to Skylake 6700K

·
Car Nerd
57 Posts
Socket A Athlons you could OC by using a pencil on, I used mine for 6 years until the caps in my Soyo Dragon Plus finally died.
I was just about to post the same thing. They were so much fun when they were stuck in one of those old Abit NF7-S boards. My first soldering mods were on that board with one of those chips.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts