Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, not sure if I should have posted this in PC Gaming or Networking, but here is my question.

I have used a solid connection since the beginning of my gaming career (my mom made me call up Comcast when I was 11 to get cable when I wanted I begged for it -99)

I no longer have need for my cable television service, and was hoping to find out what the 'sweet spot' is for gaming.

Currently I can go 25 a month with DSL (6 Mbps) through ATT,
or 29.99 for cable (15 Mbps) through Comcast.

I have had my issues in the past with both Comcast and ATT, but my question here is, is the $5 a month worth the savings (if all I ever do is game/torrent/Netflix)?

I guess what I am asking in the end , is what is the minimum speed you would go with to play fps games?

·
Premium Member
5,410 Posts
Cable get slower when the more people are downloading and surfing the web in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've been running 7.5Mbps/512Kbps and it does gaming perfectly, true unlimited bandwidth as well. Does all my torrents pretty well I just got to let my seeds run to ratio for a few days usually. My ideal would be 10/10 Mbps but it isn't and won't be an option here for a long time.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So... for by the way.. I live in an apartment complex (with a ton of people).

That change anything?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
your best option will be DSL, although it's only 6Mbps vs 15Mbps, the 6 is dedicated to you and not shared.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoogins;13032657
So... for by the way.. I live in an apartment complex (with a ton of people).

That change anything?
it depends if the ISP's did set up good infrastructure in your building.

ask other people if their cable connections get congested during peak hours. If not I would take the 15mbps $30 internet over the 6mbps $25 internet.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;13038398
You could easily game on 512k/128k
Yes, just search for servers with low ping. Dedicated servers ftw
wheee.gif

Client side there isn't much bandwidth required to maintain a steady connection to decent servers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts