Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of old, news, but I haven't noticed until now, but check this out, dell is now offering new desktop systems to come with Windows XP, for an ADDITIONAL cost.

um is it just me, but I am glad I never even bother laying a finger on Vista.

I hope windows 7 does not disappoint.

This is more proof that Vista truly was a box full of fail.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Phreak View Post
See I like Vista much more that XP, just me I guess.
me too!

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfiteer View Post
No, just that people who buy from Dell aren't the most informed.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH View Post
I would assume they charge more for XP as they aren't getting it from Microsoft like they were in its prime, not because it is in demand. Especially with Windows 7 just around the corner, support for XP will begin dropping.

oh this I know, support for XP is almost dead.

This beta of Win 7 is great tho, hardly having any problems.

coming to expect good things from it.

I also wanna give ubuntu x64 a shot.

·
god loves ugly
4,259 Posts
Microsoft has been giving Dell a lot of flack for even considering offering XP over Vista. This extra cost probably is used to account for that.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I hated Vista when I first got. The only real reason I think is because I was more familiar with XP. After a couple of months that faded. I know Vista now and sure some issues but always figured out how to make it do what I want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfiteer
View Post

This is kind of old, news, but I haven't noticed until now, but check this out, dell is now offering new desktop systems to come with Windows XP, for an ADDITIONAL cost.

um is it just me, but I am glad I never even bother laying a finger on Vista.
I hope windows 7 does not disappoint.

Not to insult as I believe your comments are sincere. But when I consider comments that bash Vista. Frequently come from some who have limited experience? I question the validity of those comments.

And I don't think I am above in anyway. I acknowledge I hated at first. But the failure to allow for a learning curve and dismiss? Seems to risk opinions that are not enlightened.

But if anyone said Vista is not that much better than XP and was not needed? That it followed M$ revenue goals vs offering real needed improvements. Well that my friend is a different discussion. Should Vista have been called XP SP4? Maybe.

Also if all this Vista bashing makes M$ more honest and not treat us as lemmings? Then thank you to every Vista basher. I too hope 7 is a better leap forward.

Nice to see market economics in play and I would never argue against the market.

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProfiteer
View Post

oh this I know, support for XP is almost dead.

This beta of Win 7 is great tho, hardly having any problems.

coming to expect good things from it.

I also wanna give ubuntu x64 a shot.

... define almost dead. i sense masssive exaggeration tbh

·
Premium Member
14,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

... define almost dead. i sense masssive exaggeration tbh

By support, I meant support from consumer base, not the customer support from Microsoft. Obviously there will be XP updates for a while to come but as an OS on a retail system, it won't be happening much at all. Even if 7 and Vista both sucked (which neither do), being 3 generations old it would not get the push that the new ones will.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
IMO anyone that buys a Dell isn't too smart. Anybody that buys a Dell and wants XP installed on it is a dumbass. If you haven't laid a finger on Vista then you don't know what it is about. Its a rock solid OS that works better than XP. Period.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
I am more happy with Vista sp1 than I ever was with XP. Don't bash something unless you have tried it, the critics most important rule.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried Vista, x86 and x64, on three different machines, granted they were all mobile. I have casual experience with it, but I have been using XP for years.

Vista 32bit on a:
HP DV series laptop
2.0ghz Turion X2 and 1gig of ram.
Out of the box from the HP the thing chugged along like it was low on gas.
Ok so we tried a fresh install, Dell doesnt provide an OS installation only disk, only a recovery disk, which is chalk full of its bulkware. Anyways used his OEM key with a retail disk, fresh install still chugged.

I know its was the 1gig of ram, so we upgraded, to 2gigs, large improvement, but still not responsive and laggy as a whole. I mean waiting 2 seconds for firefox to pop on vista vs instantaneous on XP is noticeable.

Also worked with a Dell Studio laptop with 32bit vista and 2gigs of ram, and a 2.0ghz C2D. Still same old laggy interface. Out of the box, and even weeks later with Indexing on.

Finally a buddy of mine had a Toshiba Satalite with 2.0ghz C2D, 4gigs of ram, and 64bit vista, which was actually pretty damn snappy, about as snappy as the Windows 7 beta I am using.

I was just trying to point out how its messed up Dell is up charging for letting you downgrade.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by microman View Post
this is silly Vista is better that XP in every single way and people who never got on board are just being stubborn.

Still you dual boot XP and Vista? Why? isn't having an upgraded newer edition of an OS supposed to give you complete backwards compatibility and performance greater than or equal to its predecessor?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie5000 View Post
IMO anyone that buys a Dell isn't too smart. Anybody that buys a Dell and wants XP installed on it is a dumbass. If you haven't laid a finger on Vista then you don't know what it is about. Its a rock solid OS that works better than XP. Period.

Can't express how true this is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts