Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do with you old rig's?
Do you sell them to pay for the new setup.
Do you gave it to someone how can use it

Do you tern it into a Arcade Machine with MAME.
Are you one of those people who dislike old pc's and think there junk.
Do you keep it because you might find a use for it sum day.
so what do you do?

I keep them because they might have a use for it sum day and i like old pc's.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
i have yet to get a whole new pc. i always only have enough money to upgrade a part at a time, and when soemthing gets old i replace it
. oldest thing in my rig now is my corsair tx750, so i don't think ill have an upgrade soon.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It all starts with that first brand new build, since then I haven't totally started from scratch. Most of the time parts get sold or go to other family members. Currently my TJ07 has housed two 790FX boards, two X58 boards, three different water cooling loops, three GTX 260s, a 4870x2, a GTX 295, a 9500GT, now a Geforce 210, the same two Spinpoint F1's (now dead
) my Caviar Blacks, my Samsung DVD+RW drive, and my tried and true SG850.

I don't see myself getting rid of the case for a while, and I am incredibly happy with the Classified setup that I am running now except for the dead hard drives and the GPU. I am awaiting Fermi and also going to dump money on HDDs soon. Probably just do Caviar Blacks again.

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
I know this might be an old thread but I dont see any harm in bumping it. I was thinking the same thing.

I got sick of Xfire problems with my 4850's a while ago and after some upgrades built my dad a gaming comp which consists of 2gb of ram, a 4850 and a E8400. Then I have a E5700 rig which I plan on turning into an HTPC once I upgrade my 4850 in my main rig.

I don't know what I will do when I completely upgrade from scratch. I will have a whole motherboard, ram, Q6600 and possibly a video card without a case. I will probably give them away or keep them as media servers. I can see my future house having a PC connected to every TV anyway. I'm sure all these old parts will still be powerfulle nough to serve as HTPC's.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It depends. Sometimes I part them out for $$$ to put towards the new rig. Other times, if I have a need for more. I'll use them in my charity Halloween haunt (Wounded Warriors benefit) for controlling effects. Occasionally, I'll gift them to friends & relatives.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
new server

·
Registered
547 Posts
i install a Linux distro on it and use it for casual browsing and some other things i dont think i can say on here

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Before I got my current rig a few months ago, I had a lame Pentium 4, my little brother uses it now. When I upgrade this one, it's going to be an HTPC/gold farming botter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts