Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just playing around with some idea's and came up with this. Being that it is about 40F or lower outside right now.

The ducting goes out a window to the outside.
The numbers on each fans is the fans CFM.
I figured the fan on the top would suck the cold air in from out side and then the 2 fans would push the cold air down through the rad and the bottom 2 would suck it out.

I need to get more duct tape. I ran out.
Thats always a sad time.
Oh well. Just another reason to goto the hardware store.
I have like 20' x 3' of aluminum sheeting left to play around with. So if you guys have any ideas or suggestions definetly let me know. Im always up for a challenge.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
bah, just stick with your water. No reason to waste your time and the few bucks for a month or two of cooler temps.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have everything I need to make it, and I have some time to kill. So I figured why not.
On another note maybe you would know why but my temps are high for water cooling. I am getting about 43-46C load and my idle temps are about 30-36C. My ambient room temps are about 19C. These are like the same temps I was getting with my big typhoon. Maybe my temps are just off? But even when I go in the BIOS the temps are still reading 36C idle. What gives?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92

Well I have everything I need to make it, and I have some time to kill. So I figured why not.
On another note maybe you would know why but my temps are high for water cooling. I am getting about 43-46C load and my idle temps are about 30-36C. My ambient room temps are about 19C. These are like the same temps I was getting with my big typhoon. Maybe my temps are just off? But even when I go in the BIOS the temps are still reading 36C idle. What gives?

Reset your CPU block. How much AS5 did you use? You are just supposed to use a bb (like for a bb gun) size amount. Make sure you tightened it evenly.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a very little bit on it, then spread it out evenly with a credit card. ( I know the instructions say differently) And I had a very thin layer. Right now my gpu temps arent registering. For some reason they can't go below 31C. I know that the water temp is pretty cold. When I touch the tubing its really cold.

I think I am going to try the 'Liquid metal' stuff I got from germany, and see what I get with that.

Also how tight are you supposed to tighten down the apogee? It doesn't exactly say in the instructions.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

I put a very little bit on it, then spread it out evenly with a credit card. ( I know the instructions say differently) And I had a very thin layer. Right now my gpu temps arent registering. For some reason they can't go below 31C. I know that the water temp is pretty cold. When I touch the tubing its really cold.

I think I am going to try the 'Liquid metal' stuff I got from germany, and see what I get with that.

Also how tight are you supposed to tighten down the apogee? It doesn't exactly say in the instructions.

I tighten mine all the way then I unscrew it a full turn. A lot of people say not to tighten it too much, but I personally have had no problems with it. The real key to it is to make sure it is even

Give me a link to this liquid metal stuff. I haven't been using AS5. I've been using Shin-EtsuMictosi. It is supposedly just as good as AS5, but it doesn't have to cure. I got it from someone on the anandtech forums who gets it directly from the manufacture, because they don't sell it themselves...they only sell it to manufactures.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp

I tighten mine all the way then I unscrew it a full turn. A lot of people say not to tighten it too much, but I personally have had no problems with it. The real key to it is to make sure it is even

Give me a link to this liquid metal stuff. I haven't been using AS5. I've been using Shin-EtsuMictosi. It is supposedly just as good as AS5, but it doesn’t have to cure. I got it from someone on the anandtech forums who gets it directly from the manufacture, because they don't sell it themselves...they only sell it to manufactures.

Here is the stuff I am talking about. You can order it right from their website. Just click the link on the right that says "Order not only 7.9 euro"
It took about a week or less to get here. I am not really sure. They post marked it on the 30th and I got it on the 4th so what ever that figures out to. You are supposed to like paint it on. So you need a very thin coat of it.

Only thing is you CAN NOT I repeat CAN NOT for anyone interested in buying it. USE THE "LIQUID METAL" WITH ALUMINUM!!!!!! IT will literally dissolve it away before your very eyes.
It is safe with copper and anything else, Except for aluminum.
The product is not mercury. It is a Alloy from gallium and Indium.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:

Here is the stuff I am talking about. You can order it right from their website. Just click the link on the right that says "Order not only 7.9 euro"
It took about a week or less to get here. I am not really sure. They post marked it on the 30th and I got it on the 4th so what ever that figures out to. You are supposed to like paint it on. So you need a very thin coat of it.

Only thing is you CAN NOT I repeat CAN NOT for anyone interested in buying it. USE THE "LIQUID METAL" WITH ALUMINUM!!!!!! IT will literally dissolve it away before your very eyes.
It is safe with copper and anything else, Except for aluminum.
The product is not mercury. It is a Alloy from gallium and Indium.

Yea, I saw on another forum what it did to a dudes heatsink

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
You should send me some liquid metal and I'll send you some Shin-Etsu Mictosi.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive had Myguard since I built this computer it displays the same temps as speedfan, as well as everest. Maybe my mobo temps aren't off?

Rukkee What are your setting for your overclock?
I had my overclocked to 2420 but it went back to stock after i put in my watercooling. I guess the CMOS reset. I thought thats what the battery is for. Oh well. Gonna get back to overclocking it sometime this week. 2.9 Ghz is my goal at least. I really want to push it to 3 maybe higher if it will let me.

Oh and SNERP if I don't like the liquid metal you can have first dibs on it. We should see if we can get a group buy for it. Maybe get a discount or something.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Oh and SNERP if I don't like the liquid metal you can have first dibs on it. We should see if we can get a group buy for it. Maybe get a discount or something.

Sounds good. Great idea about the group buy. Let me know if it does what it is suposed to.

*edit* I just read up on the liquid metal and I dunoo what to think. It will be cooler, but from what I have seen it bonds to the metal of your IHS. It sounds like a great thing, but I am worried about long term apps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
im running 265X11 @2915. 1.45 vcore , running the 5/6 (166) memory divider with an HTT of 600 . I have to put 2.85v to the mem to get it prime stable . It will boot @273X11 3003 with a 1.50 vcore , but my memory gives up at that point , cant get it stable , even with the 133 divider. I can go to 2805 255x11, without any vcore bumps . Thats prolly where ill run it in the summer. Now the temps outside are 15-20F and my radiator is by a window that i crack open , i get idle temps around 15-16C with load around 32c , with the window closed its anywhere from 25-28 idle and 36-38 load . Ive seen as high as 42c. when the vcore is at 1.5 . Good luck , Rukkee

Edit: are your myguard temps the same as your bios readings? Myguard on my machine is 6-8c lower at idle than the bios. If they are the same what bios are u using ?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Myguard says about 21-24C and the bios says 29-31C, i guess there really isn't an accurate temp with this mobo. I am using bios 6.00PG with a revision 1.0 board.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

It sounds to me like the heat isn't getting out of your waterblock. That could be:

1. Poor waterblock-to-CPU thermal contact

2. Poor waterblock design (performance)

3. Extremely low flow rate.

If others have had good experience with your waterblock, that eliminates #2, and you can check #3 quite easily.

So I'm guessing it's #1--sounds like you're not getting good thermal contact between your CPU and waterblock.

This could be caused by:

4. Waterblock not seated correctly

5. Bad or incorrectly applied thermal grease

6. Warped waterblock.

I'm guessing the most likely culprit is your waterblock seating--it may be too loose, or resting on your CPU at an angle. I suggest loosening the hold down, and start by putting firm pressure on your waterblock at the point that is over the center of your CPU, so it seats evenly on your CPU. Then, while maintaining that pressure, tighten your hold downs evenly, a bit at a time, to snug the waterblock without tilting it.

If that doesn't change things, I suggest removing your waterblock, cleaning it and the CPU, reapplying your thermal compound, and trying over. Maybe some impurity or other glitch is preventing it from making good contact.

If that doesn't work, look at #5 or #6.

Free advice--your money cheerfully refunded if not completely satisfied.

I hope this helps. Stay (get) cool!

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the help DrDeville. I am going to reseat it tonight. And I am going to use the "Liquid Metal" That I got.
Its about 3C out right now and I have my radiator hooked up to a duct out my window. The radiator is ice cold. And so is eveything else in the watercooling loop. My CPU temps right now are 22C. But I can't be to sure as to what they are really cause my mobo has horrible temperature recording. Im guessing its a bios thing. Cause when I look at my temps in my BIOS, they read about 30C! So yea.
I am gonna reseat it tonight. Actually maybe sooner if I get some motivation. And I will see whats what then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.