Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

Time for me to upgrade from my lowly Core2duo e8400. Its only a dual core running at 3.8Ghz. DDR2 Ram. Old lol. With my GTX 570, it still ate everything alive until Crysis 3 came out. Then, not so much. Finally met its match. So its time to upgrade. I'd like to get everyone's opinion on that board. I'll be pairing it with a Core I5 3570 processor. Is there anything I should know about that board? Anything good, bad, or ugly? Is there any reason at all I should go with a different board?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Other manufactures offer better boards in the same price range like UD3H, or GD65, or even Extreme6.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXel View Post

Other manufactures offer better boards in the same price range like UD3H, or GD65, or even Extreme6.
I also have to agree with that.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will look into all of those. But what is your reason for suggesting them over the Asus that I linked? Better overclocking capabilities? Over the years, I've noticed that some boards will simply overclock a chip higher than others. And be stable at higher frequencies.

·
Bite my shiny metal GPU!
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonFanatic View Post

Ok I will look into all of those. But what is your reason for suggesting them over the Asus that I linked? Better overclocking capabilities? Over the years, I've noticed that some boards will simply overclock a chip higher than others. And be stable at higher frequencies.
The biggest reason is because the ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a 4+1+1 phase board, which is not an optimal configuration for overclocking. You should look for a board with at least 6+1+1 or 6+2+1. Here's my minimum recommendations for boards from the "Big 4" manufacturers...

ASRock: Z77 Extreme 6
ASUS: P8Z77-V LE Plus
Gigabyte: GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI: Z77A-GD55

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Z77X-UD3H-ATX-LGA1155-Z77DDR3-SATA3-USB3-0-Motherboard-70263-3-/150999345181?pt=Motherboards&hash=item232843281d

Found this UD3H for an inexpensive price. That's my goal here, to upgrade on the cheap. I'm just not sure I trust ASrock or MSI. Asrock used to be the weirdo, the kind of joke board that was ok, but not ideal. And MSI always had quality control problems. Out of all those recommended, I think I feel the most comfortable with Gigabyte. Do you guys see any problem getting that board from those people off ebay? It looks to be about $40 cheaper than everywhere else. And its new in box instead of used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Z77X-UD3H-ATX-LGA1155-Z77DDR3-SATA3-USB3-0-Motherboard-70263-3-/150999345181?pt=Motherboards&hash=item232843281d

Found this UD3H for an inexpensive price. That's my goal here, to upgrade on the cheap. I'm just not sure I trust ASrock or MSI. Asrock used to be the weirdo, the kind of joke board that was ok, but not ideal. And MSI always had quality control problems. Out of all those recommended, I think I feel the most comfortable with Gigabyte. Do you guys see any problem getting that board from those people off ebay? It looks to be about $40 cheaper than everywhere else. And its new in box instead of used.
I have an Asrock Board and its Great... i run my i5 at crazy speeds and its very reliable, and be wary about buying computer components and electrical items on Ebay.. make sure that there is a warranty with it if you are and that you get all the receipts, and if you are make sure its from a top rated seller as well cause you don't want to get screwed over at all.

I've hope that helped
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at this board for upgrade, and had a quick question. If you watch the video, it says that if you use SLi on this board, the speed of both of the PCIe 3.0 slots drops to 8x. Instead of 16x. Is that going to be a problem for running modern cards in SLi?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128544

Alternatively, perhaps the AsRock board could be had for less money? And should I be looking at the z77 or z87 boards for my I5 3570k?

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is a poor motherboard. I had it for some time and it did not like to provide stable voltage to the CPU. Stay away! I switched to the p8z77-v and it was much better until it failed.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is some kind of weird feature on that board, that will do that. According to the video on newegg, anyway. Did you have that feature turned off?

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
LGA1155 CPUs only have 16 lanes. X8/X8 is normal. And it's enough.

Not sure what voltage issue is there. VRM on UD3H is rock solid, and stays steady with selected LLC level. The only issue that it has are due to VIA USB 3.0 ports.

For LGA1155 you need Z77. Z87 is for LGA1150.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok well at what point exactly, would the 8x lanes become a problem? Something tells me it would be long after that processor can no longer run the latest games. Just curious about that I guess.

Also, if that board is having issues with the USB 3.0, which board should I be looking at? I was told by another member to make sure I get at least 6+1+1 power phase, although I must admit that I'm not entirely sure what that means. I also have to admit that I'm on a budget, so the least expensive board would probably be the best. I looked around newegg for the aforementioned "extreme6" asrock board, but I don't think that's actually in the model number because it doesn't seem to come up via their search.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Not everyone has issues with VIA ports though. You want to look for ASRock Z77 Extreme6. That board has voltage reporting issue though. I also mentioned MSI boards on the previous page like GD65, GD55. They don't have offset voltage control though.

And unless GPU's suddenly go x4 better, don't worry about X8 3.0.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So basically, its the old game. Pick whichever board has the problem/s that you don't mind.
biggrin.gif

I found a gigabyte Z77 UD3h on craigslist that is functional, however it comes with absolutely nothing except the board itself. But, its only $90. Should I be interested in that one? Or am I going to suffer without everything that comes with the board when its new?

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
dont insult the P8 Z77-V line. they are very nice boards, i run the V PRO and one of my friends is running the V LK, nothing wrong with either of them, the boards are outstanding.

both of us use the USB 3.0 without any issues, and the V pro model overclocks very well, im sitting at 5GHZ, friend is at 4.8ghz on his V LK with no issue.

as for unstable cpu voltages neither of us have a problem, you must disable the boards ECO function via an onboard switch, or it attempts to bump the voltage lower to save power.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

The biggest reason is because the ASUS P8Z77-V LK is a 4+1+1 phase board, which is not an optimal configuration for overclocking. You should look for a board with at least 6+1+1 or 6+2+1. Here's my minimum recommendations for boards from the "Big 4" manufacturers...

ASRock: Z77 Extreme 6
ASUS: P8Z77-V LE Plus
Gigabyte: GA-Z77X-UD3H
MSI: Z77A-GD55
Sorry to ask, but what do you mean by "a 4+1+1 phase board" or "6+1+1" ?

If you want my two cents OP, I think you'd be better off with an Extreme4 or Extreme6 board by ASrock.

I don't know much about the Gigabyte board you posted, but I almost ended up buying the Extreme6 from Asrock. A lot of good solid reviews.

Maybe what you should do is Google *Motherboard model* *CPU model* over clocking and see how high people have been able to over clock with a particular motherboard.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

If you want my two cents OP, I think you'd be better off with an Extreme4 or Extreme6 board by ASrock.

I don't know much about the Gigabyte board you posted, but I almost ended up buying the Extreme6 from Asrock. A lot of good solid reviews.

Maybe what you should do is Google *Motherboard model* *CPU model* over clocking and see how high people have been able to over clock with a particular motherboard.
that guy complaining about phases needs to do research himself
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichiRichX View Post

That's a number of phases VRM has. Well it's not a biggest problem. For example Extreme4 that you recommend uses low-efficient D-PAK MOSFETs that supply less current than most other boards on the market that use better MOSFETs. Well, that's also not a problem for everyday OC if you don't mind your VRM going warm/hot.

Here is an article if you want to know more.
Quote:

So basically, its the old game. Pick whichever board has the problem/s that you don't mind.
biggrin.gif

I found a gigabyte Z77 UD3h on craigslist that is functional, however it comes with absolutely nothing except the board itself. But, its only $90. Should I be interested in that one? Or am I going to suffer without everything that comes with the board when its new?
Yea pretty much. Well Gigabyte boards have warranty based on serial number. They only come with SATA cables, manuals, and etc. Some boards also include USB 3.0 front panel. However, you're still taking some risk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts