Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am building a pc for a someone I know, They wanted a system that will last and is basically the best price to performance in the top range of gear. Just wanted to know if there was anything you would change?

Intel Core i7 920
Asus P6T Intel X58
Samsung Aqua 20"
Asus 9600gt (This is a business pc)
Lian Li PC-A07B
OCZ Fatality 550w PSU (Not sure if this is powerfull enough.)
Western Digital Cavier Black 640Gb (In Raid 0)
OCZ 6GB OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9
Logitech LX710
ASUS DRW-20B1ST

Any input would be great thanks?

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
GPU and PSU are holding you back depending on what you use the PC Far. If your sticking with that GPU/PSU, you might as well get a cheaper quad core CPU and a Cheaper MB.

upgrade the GPU and PSU and you will have the potential to have a really strong system.
Good luck.

or you could get another of your GPU and have a SLI setup. you would still need a better PSU tho. have a look at Corsair Power supplies. Top Notch!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will replace the gpu with the Zotac GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
What about the Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLi for the PSU

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looks like a great build, no sense in a fancy gpu for most work machines. Still, a 4830 is probably only a few dollars more and is much more capable (and oc's very well).

The wattage of that PSU will be fine, but I don't know anything about how reliable it is or how clean its current is. If you could get the TX650 mentioned above for a similar price I'd do it.

I would add a backup hdd so the user can keep the RAID-0 array backed up easily. A 5400rpm 1tb drive (wd or samsung, about $80 on sale) would be a great start, if you wanna go all out the new 2tb green power from WD.

I would also add a good aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock it a bit. Its basically free and a huge gain in performance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I just checked the new price wilh the guy and he is happy, the system is now

Intel Core i7 920
Asus P6T Intel X58
Samsung Aqua 20"
Asus 9600gt (This is a business pc)
Zotac GeForce 9800 GT (as I just realised it is the same price as the 9600)
Lian Li PC-A07B
OCZ Fatality 550w PSU (Not sure if this is powerfull enough.)
Corsair TX 650W (As the guy doesnt want the system overclocked for at least a year this should be fine)
2 xWestern Digital Cavier Black 640Gb (In Raid 0)
OCZ 6GB OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9
Logitech LX710
ASUS DRW-20B1ST

Any other ideas?

EDIT: He backs up important data to external hard disk

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,935 Posts
Looks like a good build except for a good CPU cooler.Look at the Middle range coolers.Dont have to spend a lot on like a true or anything just get something that will keep that I7 cool.Keeping the cpu cooler for everyday use will be better for the reliablity of the build.I cant recomend a good cooler to you because I havent looked at coolers that fit the I7.I have a Iggy Dark Knight and love it.Really overkill for your build.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think you need to take a step back and ask what he's really gonna use it for.
I'm going to assume he needs a run of the mill business PC, seeing as if he needed anything more for CAD or photo editing, chances are he would be building it himself.

I say go with a E5200, a gigabyte mobo like this one, a raid card and Intel NIC (Ethernet card). Get some good quality HDs and an antec earthwatts 500w or similar high efficiency PSU. A 8600 or above is more than enough videocard or ATI's equivalent, and 2x2GB DDR2-800 Ram kit. You'll save a TON of money this way seeing as i7 will not net you any gains opening MS Office and a web browser. I would be slightly weary of overclocks because stability will be more important than 20% more speed. If something does go wrong, he wont be able to fix it.

It will last just as long as any other system doing office tasks, most offices today run on P4's and many on P3's still!

·
Programmer
28,696 Posts
yeah if its a work pc, i guess the rig is really good for that stuff.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Id go with a 4670 or 4830 if its just for business use. I would not trust nVidia drivers at my work.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinstrong View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162028

A little bit cheaper but same performance and better heatsink. About the RAID 0, wouldn't he want RAID 1 so that he doesn't loose his business' data?
He backs up all his accounts to a external hard drive

To be honest, i didnt really recommend the system as such, he found the system he wanted on the dell website the asked if I could build the equilivent system for less, and I could, basically he wants the system to be top end now so that 3 years down the line he still has a decent system, I know that the system doesnt need to be anywhere near this quick but I can guarantee this system wont slow down on him for what he needs.

In escence he wants a system that know matter what he is doing when he clicks somthing it happens there and then!

And any way without the VAT the system is only £940 which isnt too bad at all for this system (including Speakers and a freezer pro 7 for his old system)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Why the heck would a workstation need a powerful GPU? Are they encouraging their workers to play games ? A good IGP is enough for almost anything ,except games... I don't see the need to go above mid range , 4650 or 4670 (still think it's overkill for work) is plenty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts