·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I basically need a psu that is powerful, reliable and cheap!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get the super flower n or the lc power if you want something really cheap but if your gonna overclock get the powerstream or antec true or tagan

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I have a Raidmax case with a 420W PSU as well so I am guessing we likely have the same PSU. I believe my fluctuations are the culprit to my occasional lock ups as my temps are fine and if it was memory it would be doing it with much more regularity. I just spent a good amount of time resaerching PSU's and I can tell you that inexpensive is not the way to go. IMHO there are only 3 choices based on how much you want to spend:

$100 = Antec True Power
$135-40 = OCZ Powerstream
+$200 = PC Power & Cooling

These may all be out of your price range for now but, just like a building, you need a good foundation for a sound structure...and PC's are no different. The last is the unquestioned superstar but the price hurts. The first is extremely reliable and has an excellent track record. The second also has an excellent reputation and also has adjustable pots to tweak the rails while under load and a 5 year warranty. I bought the second because of the warranty and other reviews where the reviewers were converted Antec owners.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
that powmax is a waste of time... if youre going for something good looking, affordable and reliable go for an aspire... Ive seen some nice reviews

really, you should pick function over form anyway... I say antec and ocz unless you have the cash for the pc power and cooling as said earlier

we both have the same case (different color) and psu... its a decent 420 watt psu but it really should be upgraded

final say, ocz powerstream

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin DeFields
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...163-018&depa=0

I wanna know if this would be a great improvement over the 420W that came with my raidmax 868 case. If anyone has expierience with this psu please tell me. thnx.
**** do not get powmax!!!!1 Don't you guys seach? You obviously didn't see my powmax horror story. btw, i will destroy it very soon now that the weather is clearing up... stay tuned

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i like the fact that it has wire sleeving on it, good amps, high watts, good reiviews, and it will look wicked in my case

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If you dont have $100 to spend on a psu, i have a thermaltake psu. It works fine, its not the best ever. But it gets the job done very nicely and it comes with a fan control for it. Its quiet and is stable.

That aspire is nice. I say get it...This is an edit.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
justin: let me be the first to be honest and advise against that offer... although you probably know better anyway...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
sadly I have to agree w/ not going with thermaltake.
there 480w PSU'sonly have 18a on the 12v rail and that is not enough to power an A64.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i just purchased the aspire i linked to
oh yeah it has a 35A on the 12V rail

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
good call... get some testing going on that thing and report back so I can decide if I really wanna spend $ 140 on a powerstream or stick with the aspire for $ 57...

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
for $33 its good, although be aware that just because the rails are good doesnt mean they havent skimped elsewhere resulting in a bad PSU. aka, crappy psu fan, cheap capacitors etc.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

good call... get some testing going on that thing and report back so I can decide if I really wanna spend $ 140 on a powerstream or stick with the aspire for $ 57...

I'm not sure how you check amps (at all) and i only kno how to check volts thru the bios and mbm5. If you could tell me how to check amps on the rail i would appreciate it, and i will then post about it after i recieve the psu and test it.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

**** do not get powmax!!!!1 Don't you guys seach? You obviously didn't see my powmax horror story. btw, i will destroy it very soon now that the weather is clearing up... stay tuned

mwhahah, you should see my powmax.....or whats left of it.

mwuahahahaha

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Pshhh shoooot. I built my friends a64 system with a 754 2.2ghz clawhammer and that bastard runs off a 420watt PSU that came with the case. As Long as you don't have like 4 hard drives and 3 cd-roms connected to the PSU 18A is fine. I have 2.3ghz running at 1.7V on this thermaltake. And the 12+ V rail never drops below 11.9 when doing prime95.

I think you guys are just crazy about psu's.
Best 50 bucks i ever spent. This thing runs ice cold and quieter than my silentcat heatsink fan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts