Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving soon and i think I've talked my family into saving a few pennies and not turn back on the satellite or cable in the new house. We are going to go streaming which makes sense since I have a HTPC hooked up to every TV in the house anyway.

However, are Hulu and Netflix the only decent Streaming sites out there? Free is great, but honestly I'd rather pay a small subscription and have better service.

I am about to fire up a trial of the Netflix streaming and check it out since we only do the disks by mail option, so I haven't seen what they have available as of late...I guess I wasn't too impressed with the selection back in the day before the split of services though.

Hulu plus seems alright...save for even if we pay them we still have to watch the darn commercials. I'd rather pay more than $8 a month and not have them.

I also know that some networks will host a few shows online as well.

However, are there some other sites that I've just never learned of? I am not afraid to have multiple sites to bounce between...I will probably just throw together a little web application to make it easy for my wife and kids to use it. Any info or opinions will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
If you watch a lot of current tv shows, then go with Hulu Plus....It had all current season shows the day after they air....If you are more the movie guy/family go Netflix...They have a great movie selection to stream and a pretty good selection of tv shows along with past seasons, however tv shows are not as available as quickly as they are on hulu...Try the free trial for both of them and then decide from there.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson123 View Post

I use XBMC and since there are multiple plugins you can basically get whatever you want.
Thanks...never heard of that, but it looks promising. I've just never cared too much about television to actually go looking for streaming sites before and now I am trying to do it in a scramble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_2001 View Post

If you watch a lot of current tv shows, then go with Hulu Plus....It had all current season shows the day after they air....If you are more the movie guy/family go Netflix...They have a great movie selection to stream and a pretty good selection of tv shows along with past seasons, however tv shows are not as available as quickly as they are on hulu...Try the free trial for both of them and then decide from there.
My wife is the TV show person and Hulu looks like it will work quite well for her...though I will still need to find a source for Doctor Who. Heh it is pretty much the only TV show I watch and of course Hulu doesn't have it.

I'll be checking out Netflix over the next week. That was what it was like in the past as well. Though there were very few movies on streaming that any one but me wanted to watch...I am a huge fan of Korean movies and some what of an Anime fan.

We might just end up with the satellite back on again too. I would just like to vote with my wallet on this issue and add another voice to the shouts against programing packages when there are only few select programs we even watch.

...gosh...you had to pull that out of one of my posts and sig it? What the heck man LOL. Oh well, better than some of my other moments of stupidity.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....I remember that thread.....I grabbed it because my wife always says that I need a man purse cause I am always forgetting my wallet or keys....LMAO..

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....I remember that thread.....I grabbed it because my wife always says that I need a man purse cause I am always forgetting my wallet or keys....LMAO..
Seriously, it would be great...I'd be like, "Oh, hard drive crash? I got a spare right here...here hold this 12 ton bottle jack a moment...I know it is in here some where." I'd carry so much stuff with me it would be nuts. Though my oversized laptop bag does get a lot of use...I have everything from screw diver sets to network cable crimps in there. So I kind of use a man bag any way.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

You need to look into Amazon Prime or Google Play

I have an amazon Prime account which gives me access to a bunch of free movies and music.
While Amazon Prime is nice...I dont know that I recommend spending 39(if your a student) to 80 bucks a year for it because it is VERY limited to what they offer for free...

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

While Amazon Prime is nice...I dont know that I recommend spending 39(if your a student) to 80 bucks a year for it because it is VERY limited to what they offer for free...
The Amazon thing looks like like it is free...with a paid Prime membership, but most things are still 24 hour rentals or over priced purchases even with the membership. This actually makes the Prime membership a little more tempting. I probably buy more than enough from Amazon to make the Prime worth it...but I typically get items that quality for the free shipping anyway. I just don't get two day shipping.

It will be something to consider though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
+3 on the Amazon Prime and Instant(just watch ur bandwidth of HD content, Amazon's 480p looks pretty darn good VS HD bandwidth), pretty decent price for downloads too.

Just got a Roku HD for $60, Still playing with Plex, Im so green.

Will be buying DVD/Blurays as well, and building a NAS box later.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only issue with Amazon is that they don't have any new shows on there...technically they only stream "movies" since the TV shows they have are only the ones that are available on Season DVD/Blurays.

Though it sounds like they are trying to change...as of February 11 they started offering one show with new episodes. One I've never heard of...but then I've heard of very few shows. However one new show won't fly with the wife. However, it would be relatively cheap and the free two day shipping would be a nice feature as well.

Their streaming Movie selection is pretty good though...probably far better than Netflix to the average person (meaning more popular US movies on there...but lacks most of the good foreign films that Netflix has).

...and Amazon doesn't have Doctor Who either. I don't think the show is available for streaming anywhere...not legally at least. Oh well. The dumb shows basically end to be continued all the time so I am better off waiting to get a season disk to watch anyway.

Oh, and it would seem that people who sign up via Amazon student will only get the shipping deal...they don't get the streaming and the kindle library so you got to do the $80 membership to get the whole package.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

The Amazon thing looks like like it is free...with a paid Prime membership, but most things are still 24 hour rentals or over priced purchases even with the membership. This actually makes the Prime membership a little more tempting. I probably buy more than enough from Amazon to make the Prime worth it...but I typically get items that quality for the free shipping anyway. I just don't get two day shipping.

It will be something to consider though.
\

Only certain content is free with Amazon Prime...Not all of it...My wife and I wanted to watch the first season of Modern Family one night...So I pulled it up on Amazon Prime and they still wanted 1.99 an episode, even though I am an Amazon Prime member....

Its more of a Bonus for those that use it for the free shipping...I wouldnt get it as a full service thing...

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
The Comedy Network, CTV, Discovery, TSN, Much, and MTV all have most of their lineups available for streaming, and are all interconnected through one basic interface. I use those a lot, CTV has many of the popular shows like Big Bang Theory or Two and A Half Men.

EDIT - just go here - http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/#clip872828 - and click "more channels", or video lineup for a list of all the shows available on that channel.

Our household has also got rid of cable/satellite, and haven't missed it one bit. Even my mom had no problem ditching it, and she's a big TV watcher. Netflix is OK, especially for kids. They have a ton of kids TV series on there, my girlfriends kid watches it constantly (Spongebob lol).

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Oh, and it would seem that people who sign up via Amazon student will only get the shipping deal...they don't get the streaming and the kindle library so you got to do the $80 membership to get the whole package.
Unless they made a recent change to their TOS, this is not the case...I have had my student membership for about 1.5 years...(I BUY A TON OF CRAP FROM AMAZON....lol) and I can access their streaming service just fine.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Quote:

Unless they made a recent change to their TOS, this is not the case...I have had my student membership for about 1.5 years...(I BUY A TON OF CRAP FROM AMAZON....lol) and I can access their streaming service just fine.
I have a student account leftover from my last year of my bachelors. I get all the perks of a normal prime account.

My wife has one year left to go on her bachelors, so I am going to see if they will extend it one more year.

Amazon prime is totally worth it for $39.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

I have a student account leftover from my last year of my bachelors. I get all the perks of a normal prime account.

My wife has one year left to go on her bachelors, so I am going to see if they will extend it one more year.

Amazon prime is totally worth it for $39.
Oh wait...yeah on a closer inspection it is only during the free 6 month trial period that you don't get the streaming and Kindle content.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts