Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im doing a build for a friend and he has a budget of about £600 and wanted to know what you guys though about the parts i have lined up?

Intel Core i5 760
Asus P7P55D LE motherboard
4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz
500GB Segate Barracuda
Powercool 450W Modular PSU
Asus Nvidia GTX 460 (ENGTX460)
Coolermaster Elite 335 Case

i will proably do a mild overclock on the i5

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
As stated above if you plan on even overclocking by 100mhz you're going to need a new PSU. Me thinks you should hold off on the 460 and dump that into a higher quality PSU for sure. I've heard you can do a bit better than a 460 now-a-days..

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutOfBalanceOX
View Post

Not bad, I would probably get a 500GB Spinpoint F3 instead and maybe a nicer PSU

tbh i am over budget already he wanted to spend £550 so i duno.

BTW why do you use server 2008 R2 why spend so much on a server OS?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamjamesroe
View Post

tbh i am over budget already he wanted to spend £550 so i duno.

BTW why do you use server 2008 R2 why spend so much on a server OS?

server 08 R2 was free from school and it runs a lot less background crap than 7 does while providing all the same features if i want them

Also the new GTS 450 provides great bang for buck at a low price

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by epitek
View Post

As stated above if you plan on even overclocking by 100mhz you're going to need a new PSU. Me thinks you should hold off on the 460 and dump that into a higher quality PSU for sure. I've heard you can do a bit better than a 460 now-a-days..

hold off on the 460? he wants a budget gaming rig, do you think its worth going for a i3 dule core? instead of the i5 so i can keep the 460, what other option would ther be to a 460? he currently uses a 8600 GT and its not realy worth keeping that for a gaming rig, use it as PhysX maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamjamesroe
View Post

hold off on the 460? he wants a budget gaming rig, do you think its worth going for a i3 dule core? instead of the i5 so i can keep the 460, what other option would ther be to a 460? he currently uses a 8600 GT and its not realy worth keeping that for a gaming rig, use it as PhysX maybe?

i5 dual core or i3 dual core would be better on the budget. the 8600gt would make a good physx card. A GTS 450 would honestly make a good card for this rig with performance just shy of a 5770 under 5750 prices

1 - 8 of 8 Posts