Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does 64bit computing mean compared to 32bit. What could be the major noticeable changes in the next 10 years??? I just don't really understand the whole thing. Would it be like sega genisis to N64 or what??

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport

What does 64bit computing mean compared to 32bit. What could be the major noticeable changes in the next 10 years??? I just don't really understand the whole thing. Would it be like sega genisis to N64 or what??

It's complicated. http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...nderstandPower

I read that to kind of get an idea, I'm still fully clear on it though.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
8 bit = a series of 8, 1s and 0s
8 bit example 01010101 might equal the #1 (don't know not a programer

16 bit = combo of 16, etc ...
32 bit = combo of 32, etc...
64 bit = combo of 64, etc...
Layman explanation from a layman

• Rep+
Reactions: Gnarly

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
hehehe... as is for everything that is new... Read reviews... and as you read

things will clear up... I am also still in the clouds with the 64 bit... but as time
goes on I will get the whole picture and nitrogen cooling will comin with my 64
bit...

But until I get the whole picture I wont buy it... LOL

Best of luck!

FoRmEd

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FoRmEd

hehehe... as is for everything that is new... Read reviews... and as you read

things will clear up... I am also still in the clouds with the 64 bit... but as time
goes on I will get the whole picture and nitrogen cooling will comin with my 64
bit...

But until I get the whole picture I wont buy it... LOL

Best of luck!

FoRmEd

Here is the best layman explanation I can muster.

Information moves in 8 wires, also known as 8-bit data. 8bits is a byte of a single pice of data.
A 32 -bit CPU can take in 4 pieces of data at once, 4 pieces * 8 bits = 32-bit.
A 64-bit CPu can take in 8 pieces of data at once, so to really sum it up the difference is the amount of data that the processor can receive in a single clock beat.

A 32-bit 2.4Ghz CPU can read 76,800,000,000 bits or 9,600,000,000 bytes (characters) in a second.

A 64-bit 2.4Ghz CPU can read 153,600,000,000 bits or 19,200,000,000 bytes(characters) in a second.

To sum it up, the 64-bit CPUS, even with the same Ghz clock rating can process twice the information that a 32-bit CPU can.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesT

Windows is 32bit operating system, and Athlon-64 has an extra 32bit to screw around with, so very fast

Not necessarily, most apps are only designed to utilize 32-bit data transfer, so with current tech your OS and apps will only use half of the processing power that you have. However the linux market is on top of the 64-bit CPUs, already with a plethora of 64-bit OSs and apps, where as WinXP 64 is full of bugs and for the WinXP Os there are very few 64-bit apps.

I say get a 64-bit and be ready for the technology.

As for upcoming 64-bit apps, when Intel makes a well priced 64-bit CPU the market will open up with many great 64-bit apps which are being made as we speak. I have heard that Intel is making a 64-bit home use CPU with the Itanium core which should be available to consumers in less than two years, but that information has not been confirmed.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
You have to bear in mind though that an Athlon 64 or EMT64s are not true IA-64 prcoessors, they're an x86-64 or 64-bit emulated processor, they're completely capable of carrying out 64-bit code, but they won't be as fast as a true 64-bit processor. I'm not completely sure of the exact inner workings and I'm sure they're complicated, but I assume the processor has some special means of converting 64-bit code into a form of 32-bit it can read but still process it with near the same efficiency and speed of a 64-bit processor

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

You have to bear in mind though that an Athlon 64 or EMT64s are not true IA-64 prcoessors, they're an x86-64 or 64-bit emulated processor, they're completely capable of carrying out 64-bit code, but they won't be as fast as a true 64-bit processor. I'm not completely sure of the exact inner workings and I'm sure they're complicated, but I assume the processor has some special means of converting 64-bit code into a form of 32-bit it can read but still process it with near the same efficiency and speed of a 64-bit processor

As far as I understand and the way it's advertised AMD64 can be run in pure 32bit, 32/64bit, and pure 64 bit without any loss in speed. There is a graphic out there to show how they did it. As soon as I come upon it I'll post it for you guys.

·
Banned
955 Posts
I got tired of reading all the seemingly evasive answers. It seems to me... beyond overall improvements, the biggest thing 64-bit brings "over the next 10 years" is increased memory bandwidth. 32-bit is limited to 4gb physical and so much more virtual memory... whereas 64-bit is alot more... ive read numbers from 16gb physical to 1tb virtual to crazy numbers like 1tb physical to several tb virtual... the former makes more sense. Basically 32bit architecture has it limits... we have not quite gotten to them yet... but we will soon... i believe it more directly affects industry professionals who use truly TOTL computers and very very memory intensive applications

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by setite

I got tired of reading all the seemingly evasive answers. It seems to me... beyond overall improvements, the biggest thing 64-bit brings "over the next 10 years" is increased memory bandwidth. 32-bit is limited to 4gb physical and so much more virtual memory... whereas 64-bit is alot more... ive read numbers from 16gb physical to 1tb virtual to crazy numbers like 1tb physical to several tb virtual... the former makes more sense. Basically 32bit architecture has it limits... we have not quite gotten to them yet... but we will soon... i believe it more directly affects industry professionals who use truly TOTL computers and very very memory intensive applications

Actually, I believe mathmatically that 64bit Archetecture can address much more than 16gb Physical to 1tb vurtial.

What I do know for sure is that the number of addresses is done exponentally, so you are looking at 2^64 bits of memory which comes out to way more than one terabyte.

I agree that 64bit computing is not going to be nessicarry for home use for probably a long time, but servers have been using it for years and I expect it to creep into high end workstations and be utilized before us who bought athlon64s really start to utilize the 64bit component to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.