Overclock.net banner

What does a Volt mod exactly do?

2842 Views 18 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  CL3P20
Sorry I'm a complete noob at this and not wanting to try this anytime soon, but what exactly does a volt mod do, does it allow me to overclock higher? Also does EVGA's GPU Voltage work on any GTX200 series card by any company?

Thanks in advance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
6,246 Posts
It allows you to modify the amount of voltage that will be used. Typically, it allows for higher, stable overclocks, but its dangerous because you can easily kill the card/mobo.

· Premium Member
5,384 Posts
A volt mod allows for your graphics card to change the voltage, allowing for higher overclocks and more stability, at the risk of higher temperatures and overvolting/killing the card

Its similar to overclocking a CPU and increasing the voltage on that

· Fettered Firewall
3,162 Posts
Exactly.. It' Mod(ifys) the Voltage to portions of the card for higher overclocks.

No, EVGA's voltage tool only works with EVGA cards unless it's changed since release.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok thanks, yea heat isn't an issue here, I was just wondering how I could do it for my XFX card but it seems that I can't use the EVGA's tool, I want to get higher clocks since my temp is 60C underload even when overclocked. Any ideas how I could do this?

· Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supernova7
View Post

I guess that would work but is it reversible, and isn't it possible to damage the card by trying to bridge the contacts?

YES! Very very possible.

· Premium Member
67,312 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supernova7 View Post
So until they come out with a application for my card should I wait?
That's up to you...

You can use RivaTuner.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by supernova7 View Post
Alright thanks I'm sure there is a tutorial out there on how
In fact, there is.

If you are steady with your hnds and don't rush, vmodding a card is pretty safe, the only things that can go wrong are due to human error, and that can easily be reduced by slowing down....(So CL3P20 told me
)

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright thanks man, I got my graphics card overclocked because of -7C, i'll try out the volt mod and my graphics card runs at about 60C under load, so i might be looking for a little higher overclock since i'm maxed at the moment.

· Banned
16,603 Posts
..you could just flash your BIOS with a SC edition for a 260... will give you a .15v increase over your current GPUv..and some more headroom for OC. Keeping your load temps below 50c, will give a lot of headroom on the shader OC, once you increased voltage a little bit..say ~1700mhz give or take a few, for the set shader strap.

· Registered
1,318 Posts
Not with the GTX 260 BIOS, obviously - But with a 9800GTX+ SSC bios? Yes - But a custom one is always better (imo). Go for it

Edit: 500th post

(And over a 1/10 rep/post ratio. I just need to hit 100...)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.