Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a little research on overclock and I do not understand why so many articles say that their is a chance you can fry your CPU. I have never experienced this. I have never seen a forum posted about it. I dont think it happens any more with these newer chips. Allot of them have fail safe shut off switches. Really the only way your going to fry it is if you turn your voltage up WAY to high and even then it will just shut down. My friends think I am dumb for OCing my computer because of people that preach ocing is dangerous.

What are your experiences? What does it take to fry a CPU?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you stay within thermal limits, and vcore limits of the cpu then you should be fine. Cpu's do degrade over time but chances are you'll upgrade before that even happens.

·
Premium Member
11,044 Posts
Please refer to the CPU's thermal spec via Intel. Don't worry about frying it, it's highly unlikely unless you pushed 1.6v through it with an average cooler. But you'd have to be a total tool to do that.

EDIT: Yes these days modern CPU's have thermal throttling protection anyway. As soon as it got to very high temps it would downclock itself, if that didn't solve the temp issue the system would simply shut down.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabbathcrazy
View Post

I have been doing a little research on overclock and I do not understand why so many articles say that their is a chance you can fry your CPU. I have never experienced this. I have never seen a forum posted about it. I dont think it happens any more with these newer chips. Allot of them have fail safe shut off switches. Really the only way your going to fry it is if you turn your voltage up WAY to high and even then it will just shut down. My friends think I am dumb for OCing my computer because of people that preach ocing is dangerous.

What are your experiences? What does it take to fry a CPU?

it is...because its addictive!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I've never let the smoke out of a CPU. Virtually every other component, but never the CPU. Manufacturers (of CPU's and motherboards alike) have built in safeguards to keep processors and boards safe from overvolting and high temps, but of course there's always the modder who goes the extra mile.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think there's a subtle difference here. Frying a CPU is (intentionally) dumb. OC'ing is not.

You'd have to remove all the safety features in order to fry anything I would think...

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
A little ollive oil and that CPU will fry up nicely.

You don't need to worry about frying your CPU. I've seen a lot of CPUs come and go, but only one was dead...but it was murdered by the mother board (looked like there had been some arcing under the CPU). It rather rare that a CPU will fry provided some didn't put too much voltage through it...even then a CPU will try to shutdown before damaging its self

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Other than intentionally killing it, you can fry a CPU by buying poor quality components. PSU failures, motherboard failures, Ive even heard of CPU coolers causing shorts.

I guess using too much conductive TIM and causing a short would be one way. As far as OCing properly, you run little risk. I think you run more risk flashing your motherboard and bricking it than OCing your CPU as long as youre within a safe voltage and have decent cooling.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
I ran a Celeron 533 at 850MHz with NO heatsink until smoke began to come off the resin over the exposed chip. It still worked fine after.

You have to be really reckless/stupid to fry a CPU. Most modern mobos will shut off before the CPU reaches dangerous short-term temps, so basically reckless voltage is the only way to really kill one.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
I remember reading right when the first gen i7s came out some guys took one and hooked up a car battery to it. They charred it black and afterwards they wiped it off, put it in and it still worked. Seems they can take alot more punishment than most can dish out.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagle3092
View Post

I remember reading right when the first gen i7s came out some guys took one and hooked up a car battery to it. They charred it black and afterwards they wiped it off, put it in and it still worked. Seems they can take alot more punishment than most can dish out.

Exactly, overclocking is easy as well. You do not need to know much, just basics. I do not understand why people act like they just solved a oober hard math problem after ocing. People brag about their overclocks like its hard and dangerous. The only people that have a right to brag are the ones that use nitro to get insane 5.5ghz clocks and even then the computer is doing most of the work.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I remember one time I was just learning about Prime95. I downloaded it, started running it, and then left for a dinner and movie. I got back several hours later to find my CPU at 120C! This was with the stock Intel heatsink and no overclock. Prime95 was still cruising along just fine, with no issues. Still have the same proc that I use daily, and its a great 'clocker.

Processors are tough.
gunner2.gif

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
lads ive actually tried it out 3 times to be sure;) you have to try 3 boots with 1.8v+ on air cooling to kill a sandy bridge 2600k straight away:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts