Overclock.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalam;15109230
lads ive actually tried it out 3 times to be sure;) you have to try 3 boots with 1.8v+ on air cooling to kill a sandy bridge 2600k straight away:)
Crazy sausage is you
cool.gif

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
What's it take provided you're not trying to break an overclocking world record? Stupidity. They're really tough to break without intentionally trying to.

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
if your not trying to break records you wont break it, simple as that, even on the stock heatsink with the fan off it will get hot but not break (i had many silly ideas when i was learning SB:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well a 2500k fry's at offset + 0.500, lol i meant to put 0.005 in but had notbeen awake long and fluffed it up, instant death!

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Only cpu I've killed was a 2500k, at pretty reasonable vcore. Was trying to stabilize a memory kit at the 2133 strap & upped the VTT 1 more notch & poof, never booted again. Rest of the system was fine though, just the cpu dead.

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
All it takes is 1.9V's + crappy air cooling to fry a chip almost instantly.

Or, a 250V shock to the processor to make it catch on fire.

Or, you beat the Shiznit out of your PC.

Your pick ghostrider.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathcrazy;15105564
Exactly, overclocking is easy as well. You do not need to know much, just basics. I do not understand why people act like they just solved a oober hard math problem after ocing. People brag about their overclocks like its hard and dangerous. The only people that have a right to brag are the ones that use nitro to get insane 5.5ghz clocks and even then the computer is doing most of the work.
Light overclocks are easy, moderate ones take some research. Maxing a CPU out for a stable 24/7 OC is not easy. That's why you don't see many, or you just see a CPUz shot 'cuase it's not really stable.

I don't consider the suicide runs any harder than tuning for a high-end 24/7 clock. It's just different. Like drag racing vs road racing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is this true?
In theory, you could overclock extreme (5.5ghz+) with very high volts, as long as you can magically keep the temps under 60 (not possible though)
But the cpu may degrade much quicker

·
Premium Member
20,319 Posts
oc without a cooler for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 chrome window containing 10 videos running, and 1 zoom session with at least 20 people, it may not work for you, but i did it in an online session and managed to fry 1 unfixable laptop

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been doing a little research on overclock and I do not understand why so many articles say that their is a chance you can fry your CPU. I have never experienced this. I have never seen a forum posted about it. I dont think it happens any more with these newer chips. Allot of them have fail safe shut off switches. Really the only way your going to fry it is if you turn your voltage up WAY to high and even then it will just shut down. My friends think I am dumb for OCing my computer because of people that preach ocing is dangerous.

What are your experiences? What does it take to fry a CPU?
1 chrome window containing 10 videos running, and 1 zoom session with at least 20 people, it may not work for you, but i did it in an online session and managed to fry 1 unfixable laptop

21 - 33 of 33 Posts