Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this mean in terms of a game production?

like this thread
http://www.overclock.net/t/1473585/vg-watch-dogs-minimum-pc-specs-released

this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

N6hv4e2.png

http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/12/watch-dogs-minimum-pc-specs-released/
At this point, people fall into 2 camps.
teaching.gif

1. The group that says this is way too high for minimum specs and game is probably poorly optimized.

2. The group that says this is expected because WD is a next-gen title.

Which camp are you?
also someone also ssaid that COD ghost is "poorly optimized" but i dont udnerstand what that means.

·
Registered
226 Posts
lol.. I don't see the prob with those specs.. id agree with next gen guys. I mean jeeze some of the rendering in these new games would have taken a super computer 10 years ago to run and still wouldn't have been this detailed...haha

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
It means (typically) a game developer designed a game for consoles, and then released a terrible port for PC. An example is Skyrim, the game is very intensive on AI and scripting. That is a huge CPU task, but since they didn't bother to optimize it for PC, it only runs on two cores.

It can also mean that the development team didn't try to hard to make the game run on modern hardware. It may use old coding, or may not work well with current drivers. It could also be that the game uses extra system power because they didn't want to trim out unnecessary code.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Poorly coded for the platform; inefficient use of the hardware. Basically, needs strong hardware but still runs/looks like ****. In the case of many games (and probably CoD), it was made for consoles first and then quickly ported to PC as an afterthought.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHaveOCd View Post

What does this mean in terms of a game production?

like this thread
http://www.overclock.net/t/1473585/vg-watch-dogs-minimum-pc-specs-released

this post.
also someone also ssaid that COD ghost is "poorly optimized" but i dont udnerstand what that means.
Just a few examples:

- Frame skipping/stuttering
- Framerate drops
- No correlation between performance and graphics quality. For example: Arma 2, performance is absolutely abysmal there (~20s/30s FPS maxed out) and the graphics aren't even all that great, so it shouldn't be running like that given the graphics you're getting. Crysis 3 being the complete opposite of that, Battlefield 4 falls in that category as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
fpr optimization think windows vista compared to windows 7.. both are essentially the same OS, but vista was a resource hogg. im not a software guru but it has todo with the way the coding is set-up for the cpu ang gpu to process it.

·
Getting used to 'new'
5,126 Posts
These guys are listing effects of poor optimization. I've listed the cause.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkston View Post

Poorly coded for the platform; inefficient use of the hardware. Basically, needs strong hardware but still runs/looks like ****. In the case of many games (and probably most certainly CoD), it was made for consoles first and then quickly ported to PC as an afterthought.
This is generally what most people mean. CoD Ghosts shows this, not running nearly as smoothly as it should despite its average visuals.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

It means (typically) a game developer designed a game for consoles, and then released a terrible port for PC. An example is Skyrim, the game is very intensive on AI and scripting. That is a huge CPU task, but since they didn't bother to optimize it for PC, it only runs on two cores.

It can also mean that the development team didn't try to hard to make the game run on modern hardware. It may use old coding, or may not work well with current drivers. It could also be that the game uses extra system power because they didn't want to trim out unnecessary code.
what does this phrase mean?

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
IN general poor optimization for direct x means bad batches control and graphic engines without proper batching that relies on directx tools. Directx11 is an evolution of directx8 and each time they add a feature on the pipeline they make it too complicate and full of loops.If you dont have experience with dx then you will gonna have bad time. On each step of the pipeline the directx needs to make cpu draw calls.If you dont control you draw calls/batches correctly its possible to get a driver thread bottleneck each time. Skyrim for example is a poor port game because they aimed consoles optimizations. Consoles have like 30-40k draw calls limitation. With directx you have around 10k maximum.

Draw call=How many objects are drawn to the screen.
Batches. Objects that share the same poly count or the same material you can use graphic engine dynamic or static batching.For example an object =1 draw call. An object with 4 materials(shadow,lightning etc etc)=4 draw calls With batching if the objects share the same material they only draw 1 call

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsSalvation View Post

These guys are listing effects of poor optimization. I've listed the cause.
What you posted is not the cause mate, which IMO is not what the OP wants to know (correct me if I'm wrong OP, that's why I listed how it affects us PC players), in fact, none of us know the real cause why some of these games are poorly optimized, we might guess that some of them are due to lack of effort put on the PC Port (if they're developed for consoles) and some of them suffer from this simply because the development studio didn't really care (time? money?)

The worst optimized games on the market right now are PC only titles (the ARMA Franchise and Planetside 2), so blaming the consoles is not really fair IMO, in fact, most of the games we play right now exist BECAUSE of the console market, if not for them, Dev Studios would have no reason to develop games for the PC, they would be releasing games for the mobile market or something, so I don't really have that animosity towards the consoles.

·
Game since 3
860 Posts
Simply put, poor optimization = using hardware inefficiently e.g claiming 4Gigs of Ram just to draw a cute 500kB jpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Poorly optimized games cannot work with a wide range of hardware. For example the original Crysis is a six year old game and still doesn't run well on a lot of recent (released in the past 2 years or so) lower end gaming hardware. An example of a well optimized game was actually COD 4 because it was able to run well even on a Geforce 6200 and a single-core processor

·
Registered
135 Posts
"Poorly Optimized" can also mean:

"This game does not run well on my 486 DX2/66mhz computer so it is the developers' fault."

It's one thing if a game like AssCreed IV runs at 20fps on mid- to high-tier systems. It's another if it runs at 20fps on someone's old potato.

·
^_^
2,600 Posts
I'd also say it's entirely within the realm of possibility that developers are intentionally NOT optimizing games now. Considering we've been at somewhat of a graphics plateau for the last 5 years, and companies like intel, amd, and nvidia still need to produce new and better components, if games were optimized as well as they used to, then most people wouldn't need to upgrade. Or they could just be getting lazier, or both.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts